“Birthdays Rally at Wolfcreek” Sept 7-9, 2018

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by lonestarcamper, Jul 9, 2018.

1. lonestarcamper

lonestarcamper A smile is worth a 1000 words!

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks very generous Phoodie! I looked up weather stats and average high for Sept is upper 80s and average nighttime lows are mid 60s. So nights should be pleasant, and a tent in the shade would be ok with ventilation during the day. Most don’t stay in tent during the day anyway. We have tent campers next to my site in 13 as well. Some remember my friend Ruth from MLK Rally in Jan’16. She and friend Brenda are bringing a tent, and maybe one other family using my tent, sharing the site.

2. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    My sister said she's going to be able to come down, so we'll be there for certain now.

I'll likely also bring my telescope. I don't get to use it much in the city and have only brought it on 2 camping trips so far. At least this time around I have gotten some stargazing software on my laptop so I can find things, so long as I know what I'm looking for. About all I can see from my home with the humidity, haze, light pollution, trees, houses, etc. right now are some planets. Got some pretty cool views of the moon, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn last night though. It's great that they were all in the sky last night about the same time.

Katskamper likes this.
  3. lonestarcamper

Jul 25, 2014
    FANTASTIC on both your sister helping and your awesome telescope! Whoo hoo!!!

Katskamper likes this.
  4. Sylvia91

Sylvia91 New Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Richmond, TX
    I wish that I would of found this group 2 weeks ago. I have already make plans for September 8-9. :(

5. lonestarcamper

Jul 25, 2014
    Sorry Silvia! This is a relaxed group that now gets together about once a year. Maybe next time

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I am definitely out. My son has a sea scouts event that weekend so I will likely get enlisted to assist. However they are meeting around Houston somewhere so maybe I can get away with dropping him off and spending the weekend with y'all. Of course by the time I can get that sorted out there probably won't be any sites left anyway!

Have fun!

7. lonestarcamper

Jul 25, 2014
    Sneezer, this park will have sites available right up to that weekend because it is after Labor Day. Keep your plans open and check the reservation map as the Rally gets closer. Since you will be in the Houston area, you won’t be far off.

8. Sneezer

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Good to know. I should know by the end of next week if my presence is required for the weekend or not.

9. eagleclan

eagleclan New Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Austin Texas
    Just booked site #24. We may or may not have our 10 and 13 year old boys with us. Looking forward to this!

Edit: We've never done a rally before, is somebody going to fill me in on things we should bring that are rally specific?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  10. lonestarcamper

Jul 25, 2014
    Welcome Eagleclan!
    We are thrilled to have you! Everything is pretty relaxed with us. We usually have a group breakfast Sat and group potluck Sat evening. There is a lot to do st the Park like fishing, swimming, biking, etc. we have a member is is going to do crafts so anyone wanting to rye dye T-shirt’s should bring one. We will have goody bags for kids and a piñata for our birthday theme. Anyone with a Sept birthday needs to let Txbum know for the cake. Any extra folding table and Popup canopy would be a plus! Looking forward to meeting you. When you have a final number of kids, let us know.
    Lonestarcamper (Robin)

11. lonestarcamper

Jul 25, 2014
    RALLY SCHEDULE, MEALS, ACTIVITIES, SUPPLIES for rally;

Hey Puppers, since the portal is not what it used to be for posting meals and such, here is what I can tell you for the “Birthdays Rally-Sept 7-9 (some coming earlier and staying later):

*. I’ll have spaghetti pot available for those arriving late Friday night and hungry.
    *. Saturday breakfast cooked by the guys, bringing whatever they like.
    *. Saturday activities during the day will include T-shirt crafts (bring your own shirt) and yarn craft, games, park activities like fishing, swimming, putt putt, playground, etc.
    *. Saturday evening “Potluck Dinner” bring something yummy to share and maybe post here so we know if you can. I’ll have link sausage, hot dogs, and corn on the cob. Txbum is baking the Birthday Cake so any Sept birthday please give your name (but we all have one, so we all get a piece!
    *. Any popup canopy and folding table appreciated (I have 2 long tables and a canopy). And bring wood for fire.
    * Sweet Mary Jane will have goody bags for kids (let her know yours). We are also having a Piñata for kiddos.
    * Meals and activities and communal campfire central will be between #14 and #30 area.
    * I’m working on music volunteer.
    *. We have several new members and we are really looking forward to meeting them!
    *. PLEASE check this thread often for replies and updates!
    Robin (Lonestarcamper)

12. Sneezer

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    At this point I am fairly certain I wil be unable to attend. I was really hoping it would work out, but our scout group is up to 6 scouts and 2 adults (including me) so I won't be able to get away with a drop and run delivery.

Y'all have fun - you will just have to wait for my world renown gooey butter cobbler!

13. eagleclan

eagleclan New Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Austin Texas
    So we (Charles/Victoria) will have the boys with us - Haven(13) and Phoenix (10). Phoenixs birthday is September 26th (he will be 11). We have a croquet set we can bring, some shirt dye to pitch in, and probably some random craft stuff I can haul with us. Dont have a canopy but do have a small folding table and can possibly get my hands on another. I'll think of what I can bring for the meal pot luck and let ya'll know.

See ya in a few weeks

14. lonestarcamper

Jul 25, 2014
    Great! See y’all soon!

15. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    the tent has its own footlocker of stuff & thanks for the offer of lights & extra hands. its new, still in box, but, i am sure that the repairs on my camper will get done.

16. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thursday! Good News!
    bed rail saga on its own thread, but the very nice man that owns a machine shop a few miles “up the street” was able to use the bent rails as a template to create slots in the new rails i just bought.
    he did a PRECISION JOB.

im confident that NOW the bed can & will be fixed. Sunday!

that still gives me 2 weeks to buy new axle & leaf springs & do that job. & then get real tires.. if not, i need to order a spare puny tire & save the axle for later.

and while i was at the dollar store, for fun, i got a tub of sidewalk chalk & two 3-pks finger lights. (teeny LED light with elastic band ring.) its silly, small, but PRACTICAL. more kids? i need more!
    & more glowsticks.

moms/dads, if you want to do a craft, come on down! make custom popup pj shirts?
    none of you are “too old” to be a student.

the fire starters are practical.
    in one of the mail order catalogs my older friend gets, had a somores kit.
    terra cotta flower pot, sterno can , rocks. $50!
    we made them in girlscouts with tuna cans, cardboard & wax! for 5cents!

if any of the kids like baseball & can throw, ive got a dog thats a great outfielder! this girl is wearing my arm out.

i have lost count, are we up to 12 kids? 15?

17. Sneezer

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I picked up tires at northern tool that were pretty reasonable. You can usually find a $20 coupon as well.

Katskamper likes this.
  18. lonestarcamper

Jul 25, 2014
    I have this count as far as I know:
    TMinus has 3
    Eagleclan has 2
    Glovers have 3
    Salugo has 2

I might have 2 more, waiting on a reply from friends who might borrow my tent.

So glad you are getting your repairs taken care of. It can be a nightmare!

19. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    Ojos de Dios

string on toothpicks,
    & my 2011 craft demo on bamboo sticks
    27749F2B-1AAD-4AA2-99DD-5326EB86B42D.jpeg C0577468-B7E4-44DA-B4E3-9433D7D1A49D.jpeg 27749F2B-1AAD-4AA2-99DD-5326EB86B42D.jpeg

please bring any scraps of YARN you can find. more COLORS!
    ❤️

20. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    my friend Ann will be 79?
    on the 9th?