10 Unwritten Camping Rules

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by kcsa75, Oct 10, 2016.

1. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

Aug 23, 2016
    One of the things I got in trouble for as a Host; One site was loud way late. I could do nothing but call. Ranger/management would do nothing that lasted more than a few minutes. Next morning, many other campers asked if it would happen again. Talked to management, no help. Got on state computer, made a flyer. "FREE FOOD! FREE BEER! SITE ###, JUST COME WHEN THE MUSIC STARTS" Printed a few, grabbed a stack of blank paper. Made sure I was seen putting paper on each site as I walked down the row. Of course, somebody in the group wanted to see. The music never started... But, of course the loud party, (when I first told them of the rules I was told that they where not a group of kids cutting loose, they are a family complained...

2. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Camping forces people into a condensed area usually much smaller than their yard.....and then they have to adjust their behavior and remember the rights of others. Unfortunately some people are so self centered it's hard for them to consider "others".

bob barnes likes this.
  3. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    In some campgrounds #9 would conflict with #1 as a the management may require extra wood to be removed from each site. Think specifically about the CGs that are extremely busy on holiday weekends and have no one there throughout the rest of the week. If enough people did this then you'd have a lot of extra dead wood sitting around exposed to just decay at the sites until the next big weekend. I know not true of most, and it may not be the reason for the management collecting firewood left behind at various campsites. Instead what we have done is to go around to other sites the night before we pack up and ask if anyone would like the extra wood. Usually you can find one or two who will take you up on the offer.

And on the loud exhaust...mine isn't exactly loud, but it's not stock. I didn't put the exhaust on the truck, or do any modifications to it. It just happens to be the way it was when we bought it. Didn't go looking for "that style" of truck, just what we could afford and find in good condition. It's not lifted and doesn't have larger than normal sized tires, just a grill guard on the front and a louder than normal exhaust, at least when cranking it up. Once running, it's not that loud until you rev it a lot. I know I'm rambling, but you can't always assume that the vehicle that someone is driving looks the way it does because they have made the modifications to it so it looks that way or that it was exactly what they wanted. Sometimes it's just what you can afford or what you can find in your area.

Something else to consider here - are the people that don't follow these types of courteous rules ones who camp often or are they just at the CG for a weekend get together?

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Yeah, I thought this too. Way more gross to bring dishes into a restroom than vice versa.

I can say, that in 52 years of camping, I've never once seen anyone do this. I have seen plenty of people washing dishes in shared spigots and pumps within the loop, even ones with signs saying not to.

bob barnes likes this.
  5. ThePatrams

ThePatrams Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Alberta, CAN
    Heh heh. Well, this settles it. I'm making signs. People wash dishes all the time in the ONE, SINGLE bathroom at my favourite campground. Most people RV out there, so normally one bathroom works just fine ...Until we have to wait in line for 15 minutes while someone does dishes. Grrr. But one sign is going to fix it:

Notice: I poop in here, then I touch things.

LOL... Thank you for helping me solve this issue for this summer. Now, who knows where I can get my hands on a cheap laminating machine?

6. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    dave I don't understand why our campgrounds don't have dishwashing areas. Every c/g in Europe has a place!!

Natureangel likes this.
  7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Most in this end of Canada I've been to have a dishwashing sink, outside of/separate to the washrooms, yet signage still needs posted not to wash dishes in the washroom! We've always done dishes in the trailer, boiled water for the pop up, hot water heater in the TT.

8. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    In Europe each campground has nice areas for dishwashing I don't see this in ours!

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I've been to some campgrounds that have had dish washing sinks. I prefer to heat water at my campsite and wash in my own dishpans, which I know are clean.
    Over 25+ years, I've seen people washing at pumps, spigots, in the bathroom, in the water disposal sink, and everything in between.

Orchid likes this.
  10. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    Here's a suggestion, for those occasions...
    The Lady From Little Rock is better at precision reversing, and I'm better at giving detailed instructions, so we divide the labour that way. However, for various complicated reasons, I now have very little voice left * - certainly not enough to shout directions from 50 feet or more.
    For a while, I relied on hand signals, but there are so many places from which you can't be seen, and it gets tough in the dark.
    So, being a shameless geek, I recently tried a cellphone with a cordless headset (this will work just as well with a walkie-talkie)... this means I can give directions in a normal speaking voice, without yelling .. and I can hear the "Which way??" responses in my ear, not blaring out all over the campsite.

It may not work for everyone, but it does for us, and I thought I'd throw it out there for anyone who wants it.

Ian, the ciĆ¹in man from Scotland
    * You know that thing about "speak softly and carry a big stick"? I've got the first bit down :)

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Tracy D. likes this.
  11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I completely agree with kitphantom. I would rather keep our dishes in our own washing tubs. We have hot water at our pup sink, so use that. Prior to having that, I heated water for a tub. Really don't want public cooties on our dishes. :p

12. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    Since our tenting days in Europe we have gone more and more disposables believe costs about the same pots and pans are coated so usually just a swipe out with paper towels does the trick!

13. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    Remember you ladies are on vacation too! I don't get fine china and all those pots and pans to wash when you are on vacation just enjoy yourselves!!

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    It depends on the meal, but we too have gone to using more paper goods as time has gone on. There are usually still pots and pans to wash. We do mostly simple foods, but only a couple of our pans are non-stick. We tend not to cook things that are more of a challenge to clean up - not much tomato sauce for example.
    OTOH, we got tired of using cast-offs and backpacking cookware while front country camping, so now have good cookware (stacking set of Magma stainless), some Fiestaware dishes, and nice vintage eating utensils (Oneida, I found the same pattern my mom bought in '59, when we moved into our new house). We prefer to use real soup mugs for the soups and stews that are our mainstay.
    BTW, my husband and I share cooking at home and at camp, same with clean-up. I do admit that it's usually his job to haul the gray water bucket to the disposal site after meals.

15. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Member

Nov 25, 2015
    That is too funny. We use vintage Corelle and silverware from the 1950s that belonged to my husband's mother. Has little Astro Stars on it.

kitphantom likes this.
  16. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Red Wing, MN
    This is a good thing to do, even if you are low on firewood at home. Don't transport firewood from one area to another. Always buy your firewood locally to where you will use it. There are too many invasive species now that can hitch a ride on your wood, and you could be helping spread it without knowing you are.

A good solution is to find someone that is staying an extra night, and ask them if they want some extra firewood. We've given our leftover firewood to others, and others have offered it to us when they were leaving.

17. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vintage Corelle. Nice! Definitely a keeper!

18. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Member

Nov 25, 2015
    I have extra. Would you like some?

19. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Really?:)
    We'll be neighbours in Maryland. Let's talk...

20. doggirl

doggirl Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Janes Island State Park (MD) has big washing sinks on the side of the bath house. The canal sites have the best sunsets on the East Coast next to Key West, great kayaking and crabs, crabs, crabs - the eatin' kind. Too bad the summer greenheads are unBEARable. Unless you just drive straight through the park there is no set of conditions (all the screen tents or bug sprays in the world) to alleviate that problem. And the shame is that the park is so beautiful it's tempting to try again, but not unless it's mid to late fall.