10 Unwritten Camping Rules

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by kcsa75, Oct 10, 2016.

1. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Will do!

2. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Nov 25, 2015
    We have only been there in the off season, so did not know that. But it is a wonderful park and we will be going back.

3. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario

Great idea!

I've bought self-adhesive laminating sheets at a Staples. They should be avail at any office supply...maybe at Walmart, too.

4. Calicajun

Calicajun Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Lancaster, CA
    Here another unwritten rule: Don't steal and keep a eye on other campsites to help keep things from being stolen. Never had to worry about things left out back in the 60s. :(

eoleson1 likes this.
  5. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    I agree. we were camping last weekend, and moved the television outside for our granddaughter to watch while we were packing up (flame suit on), and saw a group of three young people intentionally walk by out site three times, staring at the TV. Needless to say, we put it back in the camper before we walked to the bathhouse.

Calicajun likes this.
  6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    I posted a sign at work that read, "Sinks are not made to handle solids, please wash your plate in the toilet".

7. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Perhaps our example is an unspoken sermon to teach others. It starts with us first. Keeping our cool and respecting others is what we want to encourage.

Toedtoes and Orchid like this.
  8. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina

Wait!!! you might have to actually BACK INTO a camp ground??

Kidding really, I know that..

But as the "first time camper family".. I just might be one of these "guys/girls" that will look very STUPID..LOL (first rule for me. find a camp ground that is DRIVE THROUGH".. lol

Dan from Troup likes this.
  9. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Stupid is the price we pay to learning something new. Have you ever worked retail on a cash register? Remember that first day? Before you know it you'll be able to back your camper all the way to California on Route 66 like a pro.

Tedscilla, Orchid and landon6062 like this.
  10. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    LOL.. good to know.. I'll be practicing a lot before getting on the road...

I think I need a back up camera.. lol

11. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Just don't forget when getting in your vehicle, that you're attached to a trailer. Spent 2k a few years back getting my truck fenders repaired from jacknifing my motorcycle trailer. The shorter the trailer the faster they will jacknife. My PUP has a 12' box which makes it 16' long, including the tongue. That size is much easier to back up than the small 8' models.

12. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    Do you not recommend a "SWAY BAR".. doesn't that solve that problem?

13. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Sway bars are for towing your camper at full speed to control fish tail.

landon6062 likes this.
  14. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Any provincial of federal CG I've used in all my years has wash sinks outside the washroom.....can't say I've ever seen one without....must be a canadian thing....maybe write Trump?...second thought....maybe not...lol

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  15. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Great idea but doesn't take the "my left or your left outta the equation" that we seem to have....lol :grin:

16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    My driveway is a double at the front, then a single with the brick house on one side and a fence on the other. In addition, there are cement steps to the porch that stick out into the single section. So, there is very little leeway. When I got my first trailer, I parked it on the street the first night. The next morning I got up early when there is no traffic and backed it up into my driveway. It took over 30 minutes, but I learned by the end. My first camping trip, I got to the campground and backed right into the site. The camphost watched me and said afterwards that I did amazing and he's had truck drivers fight to get backed into that site. I figured if I could manage those, I was fine. And I don't worry about getting it in one try - if folks think that makes me an idiot then it's on them. I'd rather get the trailer parked than be an "expert" at backing.

neighbormike likes this.
  17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    One nice thing about camping is, you do not need to be in a hurry ,you have your house behind you. If it takes awhile to back in, set up or break down there is really no rush
    you are there to relax (IE: R&R) and not to impress anyone.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping

neighbormike likes this.
  18. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Remember to remove the sway bar before backing up, I have three that were donated to me ( for junk) because they are bent from backing up attached.

landon6062 and Orchid like this.
  19. dbsoccer

dbsoccer New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Next Number: If you buy a generator don't buy one from Harbor Freight that has a pretend muffler (e.g. buy a Honda or equiv) and don't run your generator after 10:00. I know some people have medical reasons for needing 110Volts but this needs to be considered before going camping and what impact this may have on all the other campers. In other words, on one hand I understand you may need to use a C-pap machine but on the other hand I don't want to camp next to your generator running all night.

20. deco-one

deco-one New Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Norfolk, Virginia
    Shenandoah National Park campgrounds have them. Its built into the side of some of the bathroom buildings throughout the campground. Just a small utility room with a deep sink.