10 Unwritten Camping Rules

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by kcsa75, Oct 10, 2016.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I see them in some of the park and other public campgrounds and a few KOAs. I'll stick with my nice clean dish pans at the campsite. They often also act as gray water disposal site, between dish washing and that, they often have food debris.

2. BBQdave

BBQdave Member

Aug 31, 2016
    North Carolina
    I hear you on the concern of community dish wash sink.

So far though, I have had a good experience of scrubbing the community dish wash sink the first night we stay, and it sets a good vibe with the camp community and stays clean for our stay :)

3. CivilizedOne

CivilizedOne Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Kentuckiana
    Actually I’ve seen a Harbor Frieght Predator inverter generator in Cades Cove that seemed as quiet or quieter than a HOnda. I was very impressed.

4. jsalexan7

jsalexan7 Flatlander

Aug 4, 2011
    On the topic of pets and other varmints, I'd add that all camping kids should have the rules memorized as well. I learned from a very young age that other people's campsites were their homes for the time they were there and I wasn't to go near their homes without permission.

I mention this because some of the campground kids were up under one of my bunk ends giggling at 6am one morning trying to catch some of the toad explosion from the aftermath of the flooding at that time. Needless to say I don't wake up easy or nice and there were some harsh words and a few tears after I got done chewing them out for a) being on my site without permission and b) making noise on my site literally directly below my head at a time of the morning that I am not inclined to respond kindly to youthful transgressions.

Dad showed up a few hours later to apologize, we had a conversation, a pop and no hard feelings. It turned out that the parents had been up late and the kids let themselves out of their hardside so as to not wake up mom and dad. He took care of it.

The kids were well-behaved from that point on as much as kids can be when confronted with the great wide outdoors but they never ended up on my site the rest of the time without permission and were kept quiet until after the quiet time lifted at 8am on the days following.

I'm not one of those folks that complains about noise if a raccoon farts in the woods behind my site but some things go over the top.

5. dbsoccer

dbsoccer New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Great! Harbor Freight sells a generator that doesn't have a pretend muffler. Nice to know. Bottomline is generators should be shut down at 10:00 independent of the brand or the muffler. They all make noise. If you need 110volts 24x7 find a site that has hook-ups. The last place we were had had two tent campers in the area with electrical hook-ups for that very reason, they both had medical reasons for needing power.

6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    jsalexan7... You mean like the diesel-reving (not one but two trucks) family across from me last weekend? With loud-talking mom and their kids screaming both mornings by 6 am??

7. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    My kids grew up learning proper camping etiquette, so they know the quiet hours and how to behave at a campsite. One night at a campsite, a rig came in next to us around 11:00 and it took them about an hour to get set up. They were talking in normal voices, not hushed at all, and threw in some swear words as well. I had 3 kids in the camper and they were all woken up by the noise. In the morning, my kids were up and out of the camper at 8:30am (30 minutes after quiet hours ended), just going about normal morning activities, so not being loud, but talking normally and laughing. One of our "new" neighbors yelled out of their camper for my kids to "shut up" because they were still sleeping. WTF???

8. neighbormike

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Yes, that's incredibly rude! Where I go it's normally pretty quiet and people are respectful, but then again, I never camped when all sites are full/ peak season, so this last weekend was a bit out of my norm.

9. dbsoccer

dbsoccer New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    My dad was near the worst on the list. As a kid, we'd pull in and set up camp which included a generator that had no more than a piece of pipe for a muffler. He was in construction and before a house had its own power and light inside, he'd use a string of lights made up of bulb receptacles added to a power cords spaced about every 5 ft. Something you might see at a used car lot or a Christmas tree lot. When we camped he'd bring along a string of lights to light up our camp site. We'd get this all put together, along with our overly protective barking dog and when the sun went down the generator and lights came on. He'd shut it off by 10:00 for sure but when he did there was normally a round of applause you could hear across the entire campground. At the time, I thought it was ok. After all, when you're growing up your parents can do no wrong. Thinking back......... oh my! I'm embarrassed just to thing about it. But it's a funny story to tell.

10. jsalexan7

jsalexan7 Flatlander

Aug 4, 2011
    With kids and pets comes a certain expectation of noise, I'd worry more if they were quiet all the time. The hope is that parents would channel their kids into quiet activities during quiet times and keep the noise for when that's appropriate. Some parents don't make that distinction and that's on the parents, not the kids. Part of camping is the fun memories it creates and every kid should have a chance at building their own. Teach them well, and they'll have a lifetime of memories ahead of them.

That having been said, I've had a few neighbors that made me want to take up beginner bagpipe training. None recently though.

neighbormike likes this.
  11. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan

jsalexan7 likes this.
  12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Why don't y'all go deaf like me? It may solve one problem - noise nuisances. [:D]

jsalexan7 likes this.
  13. neighbormike

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    That'd be no fun... how would I ever know when the neighbors lock and unlock and lock their car doors... and then unlock and raise and lower and lock the lift gate....

14. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    Nay, why would the other people's problem become your problem? I am not concerned how my neighbors lock and unlock their cars. Don't see how that could help me if I know that their cars are locked or not. It would not be fun to watch other people's mistakes. It is their learning process and they will get better over time.

It is better to be deaf than being feeling impaired, thinking impaired, and even kindness impaired.

15. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Saw a noisy jenny at 11pm get quieted down. Someone poured beer in his fuel tank.

16. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    Had a funny thought... a deaf man did this... but why would he do that? [LOL]

17. neighbormike

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I was referring to the incessant horn chirps and warning beeps.

18. CivilizedOne

CivilizedOne Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Kentuckiana
    Ok, offender here. I arrived VERY late to our campground a few weeks ago. We were doing our best to be quiet and I bent over and something in my pocket hit the @#$! alarm button on my fob. Of course, time starts moving in slow motion at that point and it rook me FOREVER to fish it out of my pocket and get the stupid alarm turned off.

SORRY.

19. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Texas
    I know this is an old post -- but what a PROFOUND truth this is in our society. The only ones that read the rules are the ones who want to regard them. The others either don't care or think they don't need to be informed -- that they "know" how to behave and don't need to be told.