110 power problems

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Barry J Morris, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Barry J Morris

Barry J Morris New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    I have a 2007 Rockwood 2516G popup. The 30amp cord is plugged into gfci on my carport via a 110 adapter. I was powering a heated mattress, electric blanket, and a space heater using the Camper outlets. I lost power to the outlets. The breakers in the converter never tripped. Any ideas of what the problem might be?

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Check the gsi breaker or outlet in the camper

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  3. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    GFI breaker in carport.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    The gfi, the high wattage on start up tripped it.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  5. Fless

Fless Active Member

Your house may have only one GFCI circuit, so the actual unit to reset may be in a bathroom or in the house fusebox.

All of that stuff running is quite a load on a 15- or 20-A circuit.
    _

6. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    First of all why do you need all those for heat? Second the fan motor returns current on the neutral of the 110 volt line.
    That is what probably tripped your GFI.

7. Barry J Morris

Aug 5, 2018
    Actually GFI never tripped. I ended up running a drop cord from same GIF outlet into the Camper to power mattress heater and electric blanket which worked fine. Still no power to Camper outlets. Not sure if there is another breaker in the Camper besides two on the converter panel. Any other suggestions?

8. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    You probably did this but it I have to ask, Did you flip the breakers off then back on to make sure they didn’t trip?

9. Barry J Morris

Aug 5, 2018
    Yes I did. Thanks for checking

10. Fless

Fless Active Member

Your camper should have a GFCI outlet, be sure to reset that one, too. Many require live voltage to them to be able to reset. EDIT: find your camper's GFCI outlet and try to reset it.

Since your house GFCI didn't trip, what did originally? The regular breaker in the fusebox?
    _

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  11. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    Check the adapter, that's too much of a load for a 15 amp adapter. Those puck looking adapters struggle at less than 15 amps. With less than a 20 amp service and a 20 amp dog bone adapter I wouldn't more than a space heater.

12. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    You need a multi-meter to check voltage coming to the camper. I agree that the adapter probably failed due to overload. You may find some overheated prongs or sockets in the plugs.

13. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Agree with all the above - check the adapter you are using. I had a cheap one from Northern Tool - it was good for just lights and a fan or two, but inadequate for higher loads like A/C, heaters, etc. It would overheat pretty easily with a load. My ceramic heaters will regularly trip a 15-amp breaker if too many other devices are on in the house.

Do you have a multimeter? Check voltage at the plug. Do your lights still work? They should be on 12V. Is your converter fan running? On mine when I had incandescent bulbs the fan would kick on when I turned the ceiling lights on.

I have breakers in the power center, and a GFCI plug on the bulkhead. If there was a fault in the shore power cord where it hooks up to the bus bar in the power center it could have shorted out, but you would have likely smelled that burning insulation smell.

14. MintHillBill

MintHillBill Member

Jun 11, 2008
    I melted an adapter with less load a couple of years ago with my Coleman SantaFe. Stopped using Electric heaters since.