12V converter question

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by eswebster, Oct 11, 2018 at 11:11 AM.

1. eswebster

eswebster New Member

Thursday
    I have a 2002 Rockwood Freedom 1940 LTD. I am having issues with the power converter not producing the 12VDC. I do not use a battery, and only use my pup when I am hooking to 110v power. I have converted my interior lighting to AC leds, and removed all of the water supply items. So, the only need that I have for 12v power is the heater. Would there be any issue with using a 110vac to 12vdc power supply with appropriate amp rating, instead of replacing the converter? This would clean up the wiring, be much less expensive, and take up less space under the dinette seat.
    Thanks in advance for your advice.]

Power Supply.JPG

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    As long as you only need to supply DC and not charge a battery.

eswebster likes this.
  3. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    As long as the supplied power meets the needs of the heater it would be fine. I have a similar situation with my pup. The only 12v electronics I have are the lights. I use a small ac to dc converter. (similar to the one pictured below) it plugs into the outlet underneath the dinet and feeds the wiring for the lights. I believe mine maxes out at 4A wich is plenty for a couple of led light bulbs.

Screenshot_2018-10-11-11-36-40.png

eswebster likes this.
  4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My trailer is a 12-foot Box model and has Electric Brakes installed. This requires me to have 12VDC Battery to operate my trailer brakes in the event the trailer becomes disconnected from my truck when being pulled down public roads.

In this state it is a DOT Requirement to have a battery to immediately stop the run-away trailer if this happens...

Here in Virginia if we have electric brakes then we also must have a battery setup for the above reasons before they will issue the annual inspection sticker.

Since all of our camping with this OFF-ROAD trailer is back off trail somewhere so having a battery setup is a definite must have for us haha... My batteries run across the trailer tongue like shown here...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

We hear alot on here of RV Folks not having a battery for one reason or another... We also hear alot of folks on here that does not have the annual inspections. I guess I am somewhat all alone on this subject haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

eswebster likes this.
  5. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    No inspections here in Michigan
    Also don't have brakes
    My pup didn't even come with a battery hookup.

eswebster likes this.
  6. eswebster

eswebster New Member

Thursday
    I switched my interior ceiling lights to led ones that work with a remote. I put in 2 lights and the remote has a button for each. I got tired of trying to find the rocker switches on the old lights in the dark. Plus, they didn't put out much light. Since they are such low amperage, I swapped the existing wires from the 12v side of the converter to the 110v side.

7. eswebster

eswebster New Member

Thursday
    Thanks for all the input. I felt like it would be fine. I just didn't want to miss anything!

8. eswebster

eswebster New Member

Thursday
    It's the same here in Indiana.

Matt Benoit likes this.
  9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    If I'm reading this correctly you connected 16 gauge primary wire to a 110 volt 15 amp breaker. It's your pup but I wouldn't recommend that.

10. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    That's how I read it too. The primary wire can safely handle the AC power (although not rated for it), it's the breaker that's the real problem... If there's a short the wire will melt long before that 15A breaker trips.

Smallest standard breaker is probably a 10A. You could easily swap it out, but then you also greatly reduce the capacity of circuit. If the circuit also has outlets, those would be limited to 10a also. Some electronics (microwave, mini fridge, toaster, coffee pot, or space heater) would trip a 10A breaker.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 8:56 PM
  11. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    If you ever have a short....I hope you have good insurance as with a 15 amp breaker you have no protection.