12V portable freezer comparisons

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by LisaD, Jun 30, 2019.

1. LisaD

LisaD New Member

Hi! We have a pop-up that has a great fridge but no freezer. We're looking into a 12V portable freezer. Dometic, Engel, etc. Looking to spend less than $1000. Anyone with experience with any of these? We don't need the dual temp, just freezing for meats and frozen veggies. Also to make ice. We're solar, btw.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I know bearman512 has one of the high efficiency freezers. We saw it at one of the Colorado PUP Rallies, and I really wanted one, but we switched to the TT soon after that, where we have a nice-sized fridge and freezer that work well. If we ever need more freezer space, though, I'd go with one of this type.

LisaD likes this.
  3. bheff

bheff Active Member

I have a 50qt ARB fridge/Freezer. Best money I ever spent.

LisaD likes this.
  4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

What size battery bank / solar system are you planning to use with the freezer?

5. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

6. bheff

bheff Active Member

7. LisaD

LisaD New Member

We ended up going for the 40 qt. Dometic. Thanks so much for all the responses! We have 2 12V batteries and 200 wt solar panels.

8. LisaD

LisaD New Member

bearman512 likes this.
  9. bearman512

Great choice LisaD you will get many years of enjoyment from that Dometic! [:D]

kitphantom and LisaD like this.
  10. LisaD

LisaD New Member

Just curious. Those of you who boondock without a generator (so solar), what do you do with the freezer connection at night? Do you raise the temp to, say, 30 degrees, or just leave it alone?

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@LisaD- we don't have one of the standalone freezers, but we do dry camp most of the time, with solar to recharge our (6v golf cart) batteries, with the refrigerator running on LP. We do not mess with the temperature control. Once we figured out where it needed to be, we have left it alone. Changing it all the time, if nothing else, would mean having to cool down again. We've also found that 28-30*, while below the freezing point, is actually not cold enough to keep all types of food solidly frozen. [That's why we've chosen to tow with the LP on, since our refrigerator will not hold temps in the frozen/safe zones for the length of a towing day. Under hot, sunny conditions, it can get too warm in less than a couple of hours.]

12. bearman512

I leave mine at 32 degrees as it will cycle between 32 and 40. It will only draw about 6 total amps from the system overnight. I leave mine connected to my 4Runner all night when overlanding and it wont discharge the battery. You also have a 3 way switch to set on you Dometic that will cut the power internally when the battery gets below 12.6 volts which will be one of your settings.