1973 Apache Ramada hard side

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by degrandes, Aug 12, 2017.

1. degrandes

degrandes New Member

May 17, 2013
    We were working on restoring a 1980-ish Palomino pony but realized that we would have to rebuild it from the ground up so we made that into a dump trailer. Then, we were given this camper (freeeee!!!) and told that the lift cable broke. It was closed up for ten years so we werent expecting much. When we opened it up we were surprised that it was in pretty good condition under about an inch of dirt! Cushions are toast but I am confident that I can figure something out for replacements. We already replaced the bunk end wood because there were holes ripping through where the support poles go. We replaced the lift chain on one side with hardly a problem at all. But when we got to the second one we found that something was stuck inside the track! After three full days of poking things in there... a hose, a wire, a rag attached to a wire, a sewer snake... we decided that we had fought the good fight and finally cut a whole in the top of the track on the inside of the camper. We ended up pulling out half the old lift chain one link at a time! They were all wedged in there crooked and cock eyed. Whew!!! Installing that chain is next on the list. Then we are working on making it pretty and functional again. Everything else is really great! I'm still figuring out how to add pictures...

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I had a very nice Apache. I sold it 3 years ago and let a set of used chains, a set of new chains, a set of new gear boxes, and a near truck load of other parts go with it....i really enjoyed using that camper, but it was time to move on.

20150520_171607~2.jpg

3. degrandes

degrandes New Member

May 17, 2013
    Any advice for us?? We just got the new chains in and it is doing really well!! The only other thing we are having an issue with is the top of the bunk and the window side of the bunk keep falling apart when we break it down. Isn't it supposed to stay together at the hinge?

4. degrandes

degrandes New Member

May 17, 2013
    IMG_5045.JPG IMG_5046.JPG IMG_5047.JPG IMG_5048.JPG IMG_5049.JPG This is the hole we cut and all the links that were jammed in there!

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Yes, the bunk top and wall with window should stay together when you fold

6. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Nov 9, 2014
    San Antonio