1978 unknown make pop up camper

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by hq308, Feb 19, 2018.

1. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    That thing is RIGHTEOUS!!! I love it!

Cold weather camping beats hot weather camping! You can always pile on another blanket when you get cold, but there's only so much you can take off when you get hot. ;) It doesn't look like your kids had a problem with it. You're a better judge of that than we are, but I'd say "Camp on, mate!"

hq308 likes this.
  2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Nice rebuild.... Was looking around on the internet for 1978 models... Notice WARDS used to make a small camper using the utility trailer idea... SEARS probably had one too... SEARS used to make all of things in the past. You can even get a SEARS pre-fab house...

I kinda think it was a local build idea. Where did the year 1978 come from... My 2008 has the VIN NUMBER stamped in the top of the rail on the front tongue where the trailer body starts... I have never submitted a VIN NUMBER SEARCH online but I think it is suppose to have manf name etc... If you got the 1978 off a title maybe it also has a VIN number assigned to research for more info...

If I had a nice enclosed garage here that wasn't totally filled up with junk I probably would really enjoy do a rebuild job like that... I have a zigzag turn sideways path thru my garage. There is no telling what lurks in my garage or what valuables one might find...

we radio guys are always scrounging electronic things that end up in the garage. At one time I picked some 6-foot metal 19-incn equipment racks sitting at the doorway and you had to side step though one of those radio racks to get to the zigzag path hehe...

Never throw away anything as just as you throw it it out you will need it to fix something with...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

hq308 likes this.
  3. hq308

hq308 Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    That's whats on the registration (title), it also has welded on the drawbar "78-7' which is possibly what it is based off. My thought is that it was probably a small volume trailer builder and this was the 7th one they built in 1978 or it could just be the 7th month of 78?

4. hq308

hq308 Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    Made a small achievement over the past weekend, I replaced the tiny 10" wheels with some 13" wheels with better/wider tyres. 13" is about as big as I can get under it without doing major modifications. Pretty happy with how it turned out, just need to give the wheels a coat of paint.

New vs old
    [​IMG]

And fitted to the camper.
    [​IMG]

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    You did a fantastic job on the renovation.. Great work and now ready for more adventures.
    Thanks for sharing the pictures
    Good Luck and Keep On Camping

hq308 likes this.
  6. hq308

hq308 Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    Even though they look OK the seat cushions that came with the camper have a few holes in one of the covers so I decided to make new covers. The wife and I went out and bought a sewing machine and some upholstery canvas and after watching the (not so) instructional DVD that came with the sewing machine this is the result. The first of 4 cushions now has a removable cover to go over the original cover which is sewn on, not too bad for my first attempt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jnc and BelchFire like this.
  7. hq308

hq308 Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    Another small update, finished the 4 cushion covers and put them back in the camper. They didn't turn out quite as well as I'd hoped but much better than I expected from my first effort at sewing/making covers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BelchFire likes this.
  8. BelchFire

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    I just LOVE your camper. Man that thing is awesome! And BLUE!!!

hq308 likes this.
  9. hq308

hq308 Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    Another small update, didn't get much time over the weekend so all I managed to do was clean the wheels up and give them a fresh coat of paint.
    IMG_3354.JPG

10. hq308

hq308 Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    I made this a while ago but didn't put pics up. It's the rail I made for my budget awning, it's a piece of square aluminium tube bolted to the roof to attach a store bought tarp to. It simply has four bolts that the tarp eyelets go over and are held down by some thumb screws I turned up on the lathe.

IMG_3355.JPG
    IMG_3357.JPG IMG_3356.JPG

jnc and BelchFire like this.
  11. BelchFire

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    Niiiiiiice! :)

hq308 likes this.