1986 Coleman Laramie

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Bebe123, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Bebe123

Bebe123 New Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Florida
    IMG_6489.JPG IMG_6490.JPG IMG_6492.PNG IMG_6493.PNG IMG_6494.PNG IMG_6495.PNG IMG_6489.JPG IMG_6490.JPG IMG_6492.PNG IMG_6493.PNG IMG_6494.PNG IMG_6495.PNG IMG_6496.PNG Hi Everyone~ Hoping someone here can help or guide me into what I need to do to rectify this issue...I luv this pup! I purchased this camper about a month ago & it's in super great shape....I have camped in it a few times before..... prior to noticing my ceiling panel sagging... On 8/29/2017 ~ I arrived at my site and pop up the camper and noticed a stain/dip in roof paneling by the front of the ac unit....No leaks inside at all.....but I feel the paneling is holding the water in it...Here's my question....When I bought the camper it had these bubbles on the roof....he said he covered it too soon before drying all the way....Is it the roof or the ac.....if both....Can someone guide me into details what needs to be done so I don't run into other problems down the road.....Here are some pictures of leak - bubbles and camper....

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Nice looking camper.
    If it were me I would drill a small hole where the inside roof is sagging and stain is as close to the center as you can, most likely you will find water there have a bucket ready to catch the water. I would check the center seam on camper where the A/C is mounted and make sure the A/C seal is good and that the center seam is not letting water leak in. Not sure what HE used to coat the outside top of camper but looks like he did not follow the instructions and now it has become your problem. You may have to re-coat the top with some other product like Grizzly Grip some other product product. If you live in a rainy area I would suggest you put a tarp over the top until you find the source of the leak.

This reply is probably something you did not want to hear. Good luck on getting your issues fixed.

Bebe123 likes this.
  3. Bebe123

Bebe123 New Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Florida
    Thank You So Much for your response ~ It is what I wanted to hear....I really really luv this pup and want to rectify the issue correctly so this pup can last me a long time....Any info is so greatly appreciated.....Thanks Again

JPBar likes this.
  4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    I am sure others will chime in and give you some advice on what you need to do.

Bebe123 likes this.
  5. davekkk

davekkk Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Looks like a nice pup! Looks like someone put a lot of work rebuilding that roof at some point, not the original paneling on the inside roof. I would get some fans running, dehumidifier if possible. If you have to close it use several dry rid cans. Hopefully you can get it to dry out and redo the outside roof the correct way and be on your way!

Bebe123 likes this.
  6. Gbrown4

Gbrown4 New Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Concordia, Mo
    My first camper was 1986 Laramie. It was used when I bought it (Wife's uncle owned it). It also had a roof leak. I found out the AC unit was loose and water had seeped in. My interior was a pecan stain so I took a piece of 1/4" Oak plywood and stained it match the cabinets. It looked like it was made that way. I tighten the bolts to the AC unit and the leak immediately stopped. It was a great camper!!

Bebe123 likes this.
  7. Bebe123

Bebe123 New Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Florida
    I appreciate the responses...I left my camping trip 4 days early to get home and fix the issue....(Didn't want it to get worse if I got caught in the rain) When I closed the pup ~ I did put in a few damp rid containers....I'm going to open it up today as soon as the sun comes up here in Florida....and do exactly what JPBar" recommended above...Pierce a small hole and hopefully the water it's holding comes out....redo the roof " Thinking with Durabak after reading a few reviews....Replace the Ac gasket....What do you all think? And other suggestions are appreciated...I will take more pics when I get this baby open this morning....

JPBar likes this.
  8. Bebe123

Bebe123 New Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Florida
    IMG_6501.JPG IMG_6502.JPG
    Work has started ~ One of my neighbors is helping me out....He took the ac unit off and low and behold water was sitting right under it....He is now taking off the rubber and going to redo the whole thing over.....here is some photos....we started first thing this morning....

9. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Well at least you found the problem. Good to have neighbors that will help out. At least you will know it will be repaired correct. Please take before and after photos and share with the forum in case someone else has this type of issue and what products you are going to use. Good Luck!

10. Bebe123

Bebe123 New Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Florida
    IMG_6503.JPG IMG_6504.JPG IMG_6505.JPG IMG_6506.JPG

I absolutely will.....current process he decided to strip the inside ceiling and start there.....He will now prep it for all new Luau ceiling panels and finish the inside....close it down and prep the roof and cover it with aka bed liner paint....as far as the ac he will raise it with new foundation- foam - gasket etc etc I will post pics as we go along estimated time about week....

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  11. davekkk

davekkk Member

Oct 7, 2013
    You dont mess around! Will be good as new in no time.

Bebe123 likes this.
  12. Arruba

Arruba Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Good luck with your repairs. It looks like a nice unit in the photos. Something that gets forgotten, is to annually tighten the A/C bolts. My Viking does not have A/C, but my Tioga Motorhome did. The owners manual called for an annual retorquing of the bolts. Did it every fall or it would leak.

JPBar and Bebe123 like this.
  13. Bebe123

Bebe123 New Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Florida
    IMG_6509.jpg

We got it all stripped down and now waiting for our order to arrive and then we will continue with a Durabak bedliner.....here is a detailed step by step instructions for anyone else going through this...Comes directly from the President of the company after speaking with him through email/phone...I will post photos when completed....

JPBar likes this.
  14. Bebe123

Bebe123 New Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Florida
    2A1E4A53-CCC5-4668-A637-50797DE73063.jpeg F78CAB28-3289-42BA-AE28-6C82D00C8093.jpeg 9E7C5F7D-D622-46A6-932C-1F74E5393224.jpeg 61FBB155-9F80-44E8-95A0-F67C890B7CAB.jpeg

It took longer than expected due to hurricane Irma....But it’s complete now with a new Durabak 18 roof (bedliner paint) which came out better than I anticipated....New ceiling put up...and no leaks what’s so ever....Extremely happy with results and this should last for a long time.....

Attached Files:

JPBar and DJS12354 like this.
  15. Arruba

Arruba Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Wow! Nice job. Hope it all works as well as it looks.

16. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Looks Great!