1987 Apache

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by WVhillbilly, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    The sides may be original. The ad calls it a 1987, not 1978 like the title of this thread, which makes sense. At some point in the 80’s, Vesley Manufacturing went out of business and somebody bought the Apache brand and the later ones were a little different than the originals, hence the different roof and possibly the walls, though it is also possible they were rebuilt.

You could ask in the Apache Camper Preservation Society group on Facebook and get a definitive answer. They know their stuff.

2. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    In a week my daughter will know all there is to know about these things. :D
    She just picked up the title, the 78 thing is my typo. Sorry.
    My son didn't want to tow it home last night, its short and his Jeep is tall. Even with his 8" drop hitch he didn't want to risk it.
    I just found this out of course, so I have to go fetch early Sunday morning.

3. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    it's not a '78, either, with that paint job. They were green. Maybe orange. No stripe. This is probably from the '80s.

The late 80s models look like they might have had the smaller windows, but the aluminum siding seems odd.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  4. WVhillbilly

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    OK, my daughter was telling me some of what had been passed on to her from the lady she bought if from.
    It has a build date of, but is titled an 87 so it must have been late year model. As the company went out of business in 87.
    Pictures I found here http://www.apachepopups.net/OldSite/museum.htm Confirm this.
    It also says that the sides and roofline were changed in 86.

I guess that there really are VERY few left. It is original except for the tires and fridge.
    This thing must have been stashed away somewhere for a while.

Overland and Rusty2192 like this.
  5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Either way a 78 or an 87, it looks good

Rusty2192 and WVhillbilly like this.
  6. WVhillbilly

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    And it's home. Not perfect but pretty nice for $2K.
    20181014_130429.jpg

Rusty2192 and Overland like this.
  7. Overland

Overland Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Needs a bit of lift eh?!

[:D]

[o!!!o]

Matt Benoit likes this.
  8. WVhillbilly

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    I have been warned against any modifications. The lift and 14-15" tires was the first thing I mentioned.
    Honestly, I don't know if I could bring myself to do anything to it. It's so original it would be a crime to mess it up.
    There has been no reconstruction or structural repair to the camper, it is as it came from the factory.

My daughter had plans to get an old one and make it hers, pop up princess style.
    Now she's only going to clean and replace what needs done. It needs the seals on the folding ends, they are not terrible but for $17 we might as well replace them.

The electric has been replaced, the folks she got it from never used it. They boon docked and have some battery powered stick up lights and carried water with them.
    So, as of now it doesn't have a battery in it, and I don't know the status of the 12V system. Or if there is one.
    Nor the water.

I'm figuring those could both be easily replaced for a few hundred bucks if need be.
    Tires are good, lights work, tows great.
    Lift system works fine, it looked lubed and well maintained.
    It was last used 2 weeks ago, and they were towing it about 3 hours to where they camped.

I would much rather buy something that has been used than something that had sat for years.

They actually seemed really sad to see it go, but have already purchased a bigger pop up.
    They have a little 4 year old daughter, she had to tell the camper bye as we were leaving with it.

9. Pnut

Pnut Member

Jul 8, 2018
    NE Georgia
    That is a good looking rig. It also appears to be in great shape. Good find.