1993 Coleman Americana

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by spirit2bike, Nov 14, 2017 at 2:00 PM.

1. spirit2bike

spirit2bike New Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Arkansas
    The previous owner/dealer had resealed the seams all around on the roof. Doesn't seem to be lasting. What's the best product to use, to do a proper job? I haven't found any cracks. I know there has been a leak at some point, because inside the wood shows signs of rot. See the attached pics of some of the areas in need of resealing. I see Rhino lining as a possibility, but not sure it's the proper method for this application.

EDIT (2017 11 15):
    I added a pic of the full ??strap??, not sure what to call it. Does anyone know how far the screws go thru the roof? Do they go all the way thru to the wood fascia on the inside? The afore mentioned rotted wood needs to be replaced, so I'm wondering if those screws will create any problems removing that fascia. That may actually be how the inside fascia is held in place. ??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 11:19 AM
  2. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    Dicor is a commonly used caulking product that seems to work well. It's available online or from RV shops. They have a self leveling variety for flat surfaces (like the roof) and a thicker version for vertical surfaces. I've also used Kool Seal Elastomeric roof coating. Walmart and Lowes/Home Depot usually sell it by the gallon. And surprisingly that Flex Seal spray that you've seen on TV works well. Good luck!

3. spirit2bike

spirit2bike New Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Arkansas
    Is it flexible? When I cinch down the roof, those straps tug the side panels, separating from the top panel a bit. Don't get me wrong, I don't over tighten, but it does pull away from the top a bit.

4. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    Dicor and the Kool Seal product are somewhat flexible and malleable, but the constant tugging and separating is going to cause them to wear out sooner. Are you using straps or latches? If latches, you should be able to loosen the buckle a bit do it doesn't tug as much.