1994 Jayco 1206 roof sag fix

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Grantsjeep, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Grantsjeep

Grantsjeep It's all about the family

Aug 22, 2011
    I recently purchased a 1994 Jayco 1206, 12ft box popup. All of the ones I looked at (5 total) appeared to have a similar slight sag in the front and back at the center seem. The one I purchased had less sag than any of the others I had seen, and the side roof boards did not show any rout, like others I had seen. When I got the camper home, and water got on the roof, I realized the whole roof had a slight sag to the center, and the water would pool on top. This did not seem like a good idea, even though it was a small amount of water pooling. I searched this sight as well as others and it seemed a lot of people were rebuilding these roofs. I did not want to take the time to rebuild mine, and since there were no real signs of routing or leaking, I figured I caught the problem before it caused to much damage.

So here is what I did. I purchased a 1 inch (I believe it was 14 gage) square tubing from local metal supply (around $25 for 21 foot I believe) cut it in 3 pieces that were slightly smaller than inside canvas to inside canvas. I then used an a come along and boards to put a slight bend in the tube (note that I put a slightly large bend in center support).

I then made a small straight cut on the end. I set a the bar on a level surface and marked the cut end on my smaller piece. This allows me to mount the bar straight to the sealing and keep some of the bend from coming out. I welded the two pieces together.

I then welded together some brackets to mount to the upper corners of the inside of my roof.

In order to mount the brackets I had to use a dremal to cut away part of the curtain canvas railing (I have not noticed that this has effected my curtain use that much). I put a small screw with washer through either side of my cut to help reinforce any integrity I took out of the curtain canvas rail.

I painted all the parts.

I then mounted the brackets using bolts, pan washer, and rubber washer on the outside. I forgot to take pictures of the outside bolts before I primed and painted the camper so, all I have is photos of them painted.

I then used a bottle jack and 2x4 to lift the ceiling while I put the braces in place. I ran a bolt through the bracket and brace to secure them together.

Here is a view from inside. The center brace is the one I made. The two outside braces add no structural support, only act as a slide railing for my upper kitchen cabnet.

I only put a enough bend in the bar to support the weight and put a slight arch in the roof. I repeated this step for the front and the back approximately 2 1/2 inches from the ends.

It is hard to see in photographs, but this has made my roof have a slight arch in the center and straight in the ends. I had to re caulk my center seem as it caused small cracking(splitting) during installation.

I can not find my before pictures at this time, but when I do, I will post them.

I am very appreciative of this sight and all that it has helped me with. Hope this post may help someone in the future.

This is my first post with pictures so trying to figure it out. Here is the link to pictures, until I figure it out.

2. robctry69

robctry69 New Member

Jul 24, 2011
    nice work i think that will save alot of roof trouble
  3. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Did an awesome job, i think I am going to do the same for my bracing.
  4. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Sweet job here! Looks like you can put a couple of A/C units up there now and not have to worry about the roof sagging!
  5. jjoiner

jjoiner New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Awesome job! I am so relieved to know I am not the only Jayco popup owner with this problem. I was just about ready to sell my popup until I found this forum. My wife and i recently bought a 1995 Jayco with a 12ft box. I thought the camper was in excellent condition, and didn't realize the roof sagging issue until the first time we went camping I started noticing the a/c condensate pooling up on the roof. It runs straight to the back bumper end of the roof and then just lays there in a big pool. The roof actuall "noses up" just before it rolls over the curve on both ends. I want to build braces and brackets and try and do a repair like you did. I just have a few questions as to your procedure for building the braces. Do you have any specific measurements for the pieces of 4x4 posts that you used to create bows in your braces? How did you know when you had enough of a bend? I have a buddy that has a pipe bender, so I could opt for that method of bending if I know to what degree I am shooting for, or I can just try the come along like you did. When you fabricated the brackets to attach braces to the inside of the roof, did you use angle iron and flat bar, or did you use all flat bar? What gauge steel did you use for the brackets? Did you use all 1/4''x20 bolts? Also, what type of bolts did you use to attach the brackets to the roof sides? smooth head bolts like carriage or just regular hex head style bolts? Did you use stainless, or does this not matter since you primed and painted? What type primer and finish paint did you use for the camper exterior? Sorry for so many questions, It just looks like this worked so great, I want to duplicate as best I can. I would love to talk with you more about your repair and also see what your advice is on re-sealing the seem on the roof after I solve the sagging issue, which is my first assignment. My wife wants me to get this fixed before next month so we can go camping with no drips on our head!! [PU]
  6. jeeplj8

jeeplj8 New Member

Sep 17, 2012
    awesome work!!

I am looking at doing basically the same thing, but am thinking of using aluminum. Why did you choose steel, ease of use or strength?
  7. RRack

RRack New Member

May 15, 2010
    I know this thread is old but, I just had to say thanks so much for posting. Our 1999 FLagstaff 823D as the sagging roof issue as well. I've been trying to figure out what works and I really didn't want to spend a bunch for dealer bracing. I was already tossing around the idea of tubing but, I really didn't want to buy a bender. The come-a-long was a great idea. Still debating if I want to try aluminum or or steel. There really isn't that much of a weight difference. I'll probably go steel. I think I'll just put three bolts right through the roof tho since I don't have a welder. Anyway Awesome Job!