1995 Jayco Eagle 10 - smell

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by mattlreese, Sep 10, 2017.

1. mattlreese

mattlreese New Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Just bought a used 1995 jayco eagle 10 and it has a smell. Here is what I have done
    1. Pulled all the mattresses cushons etc, they will be replaced.
    2. Washed all the cotton curtins
    3. Cleaned all the surfaces
    4. Washed all the canvas with oxi-clean.

I also plan to pain all the wood with a stain blocking primer because I know some of the smell is coming from there (even though its in good condition)

Any other recommendations?

2. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Streator, IL
    You have done much already to alleviate odors.
    - When weather permits, open it up for a few days or more to let it air out.
    - You may be able to remove the mattress covers and dinette cushion covers and launder them or, at the least, let them hang outside in a good breeze for a few days.
    - Use a lot of Fabreeze in a spray bottle.
    - Buy or rent an ionizer like the car dealerships do to freshen up used car interiors.

3. The Postman

The Postman You gotta love Camping!!

We bought a similar trailer for our first one, and it too had that same kind of odour in it. We did all the things you have done, and then sprayed febreeze in it and let it air out for a few days, that will get rid of most of what you are smelling for sure.

4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Have you washed out all of the cabinets? If there's a fridge or a furnace, have you checked behind them to see if the source of the odor is in there?

5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    I bought my camper five years ago. The previous owner put moth balls in the camper over the winter. I have cleaned everything many times and I can still smell moth balls a little when I open the camper.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Do searching in the hidden areas. Look for current or repaired leaks at lights, vents, a/c, any holes in the outer skin.
    Our first popup had a funky odor that we put down to old canvas and foam, pressed wood products, etc. When we began to renovate it after a few years, we discovered that there had been a leak in one tail light at some point (well before we bought it). The water had made its way in between the layers of the siding, insulation (foam board) and paneling, plus ran down into an remote space in one of the dinette storage benches. Under the bench, it had actually rotted the floor in a tiny area; that was easy to clean up with bleach and use Elmer's wood repair on. We removed a section of the foam, about 1' x 8", cleaned it all well and reassembled it. Odor gone -of ocurse the new fabrics, foam, and paint helped too.

7. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

Jul 5, 2016
    What kind of smell, chemical, musty, old wood, moldy, NY cab driver or what? I also have a chemical, almost a vinegary smell in my 2006 1207 after being closed up, but it quickly dissipates after opening it up.