1997 fleetwood by coleman yukon several questions

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by enforcer72, Oct 8, 2009.

1. enforcer72

enforcer72 New Member

May 22, 2009
    OK, Ive got a 1997 fleetwood by coleman yukon and a few questions that the manual doesnt cover. I have a red light up toggle switch on the lower galley right next to the front storage compartment access door. No clue what it does but it does light up. According to the manual it is supposed to be for a water heater... but I have yet to find a water heater anywhere.. where is the darn thing or what is the switch for?
    Second: When Im plugged into the generator or camp power the atwood furnace fan kicks on and several seconds later heat is coming out. When I goto battery power the fan kicks on, runs and runs but no heat coming out. I have a brand new deep cycle battery hooked up in the front storage box and it is fully charged. It would be nice to have it warm now and then when we go up north mushrooming in late april, early may. Any ideas or help would be appreciated....

Am getting ready to winterize it and once the rain stops here in michigan then I'll crank it down and pull it forward so the tires are on wood or put a few concrete blocks under the axle to bring the tires off the ground. both tires have dry rot and am going to buy new ones for it over the winter and repack th bearings just before we go up with it next spring. Thank you for any help.

John

2. sk91709

sk91709 Chino Hills, CA

Jul 8, 2008
    Chino Hills, CA
    I have no idea about the lit toggle switch. Maybe it's a mod from a previous owner.

As for the furnace, I guess I'd just make sure that the valve on the propane bottle is open and that you have gas in the tank. I ran out of gas on one trip, and the furnace just blew cold air.

You could also check your ignition system, but it sounds like it's working, if the furnace blew hot on shore power.

Good luck!

3. Digger

Digger Foothills of Central Virginia

The standard place for a water heater in a coleman is inside the front storage trunk (when so-equipped). The water heater should have an exterior access panel on one end of the storage trunk. Given that the storage trunks of that era are notorious for leaking leading to floor rot - it is quite possible that a previous owner rehabbed the trunk and did away with the water heater.

Hopefully someone will point you in the right direction about the furnace....I have to wonder if there is a converter issue affecting the electronic ignition...

4. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Lake Orion, Mi.
    It's the on/off switch for a trunk compartment light. The light should be under the back lip of the trunk just on the other side of the wall the switch is on. The switch light is to let you know when the trunk light is on if the sliding door is closed.

5. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Granger, IN
    I think Rhino Dave nailed your switch answer. As to the furnace, I've seen other posts related to this problem and I think that it's related to the setting on your ignition. You may be getting enough power to turn on the fan, but it's not getting enough juice to work the ignition. Hopefully someone can give you more detail.

6. enforcer72

enforcer72 New Member

May 22, 2009
    I hadnt thought about that. never noticed a light in the front storage trunk area so that sounds feasible.

I plan on picking up 1-2 more deep cycle batteries. think the one I have now is one from walmart the maxx-29 (I think) and going to run them hooked together so I can recharge only when voltage drops below 10 volts. Another question. anyone done an LED replacement for the ceiling lights in the camper? Id rewire them as LED and the power useage would be negligible then. Also picked up 2 400 watt/800watt peak inverters from newegg for 20.00 each with free shipping. Am going to wire them directly into the camper itself as outlets and clearly mark that they are inverter powered so not to leave anything plugged into them.

John

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    enforcer72, if you hook multiple 12-volt deep cycle batteries together, be sure they are in parallel, not series. Also, you will want to recharge them long before they drop below 10 volts. You should avoid discharging these batteries to less than their 40% level whenever possible and 40% is 11.9 volts (at 70 degrees F). 10 volts is essentially dead. I would also be very cautious about what you run on those inverters. Anything that generates heat or needs high wattage (like a microwave) will deplete your batteries ultra fast.

This will be useful for you:

12 Volt Side of Life

8. enforcer72

enforcer72 New Member

May 22, 2009
    hmm that is a very very informative website. I know there is a golf cart manufacturer/refurbisher over in Caledonia, MI where I see my DR. at, Im going to call them about a pair of 6 volt batteries or if cheap enough four of them to increase the storage capacity. smaller 400 watt inverters would run my laptop and recharge small electronics as they are a clean sine inverter. a large 2000+watt modified sine inverter from harbor freight could run a few appliances that are not so sensitive. (1200 watt electric bathroom heater as we start camping in early may up by garlord michigan mushrooming). If I hook up 2 in parallel and 2 in series (6v each x4 total, but wired to give 2 big azz capacity 12 volt storage batteries) would I need to charge them at 12V or 6 volt? I can get 12 amps out of my 3 stage automatic battery charger which should charge up pretty quickly. Otherwise, I could recharge directly off my 12 volt side of my 3000 watt/3500 watt surge gas gennie even though I dont think it's recommended due to the chance of boiling the battery over on single batteries.. sorry for rambling, I did read that website and found out I have the right idea for a direction to go, just need more input. sorry for rambling, but I could use some more advice. Also, has anyone had their water hand pump (white plastic the on off for hooked to city water pumps a bunch before getting at trickle out at a time), leak underneath the sink which makes me think there is a problem or its broken partially. any idea's for replacements? I would be happy with a single handle faucet as I dont have a water heater.

John