1998 Coleman Sun Ridge restoration

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by bigmajestic, Feb 5, 2017.

1. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

Jan 9, 2017
    So so impressed. I'm going a snails pass compared to you and your DW. You're inspiring me. I have my own thread doing the same but I'm getting too detailed. You're rocking it. You'll be camping next weekend at this pace.

Off to the garage to see what I can do.

Chelle.

2. kreeves

kreeves She and her two dogs

Dec 4, 2016
    West Virginia
    Yes Your feed is making me feel bad too... but when it is 35 even in the garage, I will have to wait and dream.

3. bigmajestic

bigmajestic New Member

Nov 15, 2016
    South Mississippi
    Thanks for the words of encouragement from everyone. The weather in South Mississippi is definitely beneficial when it comes to projects like this, especially since my garage is too small to fit the camper. It is currently sunny and 72 outside. All my work has been done outside, so a lot of packing up and then reopening when rain is coming.

I should have a new update and post done tomorrow.

4. bigmajestic

bigmajestic New Member

Nov 15, 2016
    South Mississippi
    Got to work on the camper in between the rain this weekend and today was bright and sunny, so that was a plus. I got a coat of primer/sealer on the interior walls and caulked good. After doing research I decided to use full sheet vinyl instead of peel and stick. It went in really easy after I measure and pre-cut everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are ready to do a little camping. The wife has narrowed down the decor for the inside. I've got to reglue the canvas rail and find someone to resew a canvas bag. Still a ways from being done, but we are in a good place right now. I could sleep in it now and be comfortable.

5. JPBar

JPBar Active Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Looks great!!

6. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Wait. you mentioned, "after doing the research". Will you share why it's better to do the full sheeting rather than planks? I'd love to hear.

7. kreeves

kreeves She and her two dogs

Dec 4, 2016
    West Virginia
    I'm planning on doing the full sheet too. Everything is out of the camper and I have to do very little cutting, It will be a smooth surface for less chance of water or anything else getting to the wood under it. This is just my opinion for my pup up.

8. bigmajestic

bigmajestic New Member

Nov 15, 2016
    South Mississippi
    I read on a bunch of threads, forums for RV's, campers and flooring.
    Using the type of sub-floor I used, OSB, similar to what was in it. The peel and stick doesn't have enough sticky to adhere to the semi-rough surface. I could do locking planks but I would have to put a floating matt down under the planks or use the floating planks with the pad already built on. I was not wanting to have any areas where water could potentially get down. The solid sheet allows for easy cleanup. Plus you can put down a lot of glue.

Note: If you are installing over the old vinyl floor, peel and stick will work just fine, because it's a smooth surface for the sticky to adhere to.

9. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Thanks for the reply @bigmajestic.

It's making me rethink. [RTM]

10. bigmajestic

bigmajestic New Member

Nov 15, 2016
    South Mississippi
    It has been a busy few months, for the family, not the camper. But we are back on the camper now. I reattached the awning rail for the front of the camper.

[​IMG]

Then the wife got a great idea to tear apart the canopy and do a deep scrubbing. Honestly, this was the most nervous I have been since the restore, but it came apart easy enough and actually went back together fairly easily. It allowed me adjust it and create better seals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. bigmajestic

bigmajestic New Member

Nov 15, 2016
    South Mississippi
    This week I should have the toolbox installed along with the marker lights placed on the toolbox. We have some camping gear coming. If all goes good, we are going to do a test run this weekend and try to figure out how exactly we want to design the inside.

The DW did find some bedding she likes and maybe we will finally get some curtains and fabric to redo the seat cushions.

We are super excited.

12. bigmajestic

bigmajestic New Member

Nov 15, 2016
    South Mississippi
    Put the final touches on Pop-Tart the day before we left, better late than never. Picked up a diamond plate tool box from Wally World and installed it in place of the old storage box that led to this rebuild. Installed the marker lights to ensure we stay safe on the corners of the tool box. I am really happy with the out come.
    [​IMG]

I also installed a 4" pvc tube behind the tool box for poles to long for the tool box, the awning poles are right at 6', plus when we get an outside rug, we have a place to store it.
    [​IMG]

Tongue weight came in at 122 lbs with gear loaded. Considering the inside is still without seats, this should fall in the 10-15% range.

13. bigmajestic

bigmajestic New Member

Nov 15, 2016
    South Mississippi
    Here is some pics from our first over night trip. Everything went really well. The camper towed great, the campsite was awesome and the food was delicious. It's a good feeling when things come together, because a few months ago, this was not going to happen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This view is from Flint Creek Campground in Wiggins, MS. A brisk morning with coffee in hand. The family definitely had a great time and made everything worth it.

KWAZ likes this.
  14. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Blaine MN
    :) love the shirt... nice job on your rebuild.

bigmajestic likes this.
  15. time4adventure

time4adventure Member

Dec 26, 2015
    Hi,

I need to purchase a tool box for our Pup. We removed the storage and want to add a nice box to store our stuff. I tried searching walmart.com

16. JPBar

JPBar Active Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  17. bigmajestic

bigmajestic New Member

Nov 15, 2016
    South Mississippi
    Here is the one I purchased, the price moves around quite a bit, I got mine for $170, add 3 year protection for $19. The protection says it covers nearly everything and since it's riding in the front of the camper, it's going to get tested.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/60-Single-Lid-Truck-Tool-Chest/42496178

I'm sure the Home depot above is a heavier duty than the Wal-Mart one.

Good Luck

18. time4adventure

time4adventure Member

Dec 26, 2015
    Thank you, I picked one up just like yours.
    I purchased the same box as the one you have.
    When you installed the truck box, did you have to add rear support to the box?(i.e...2x4 or angle iron etc...)
    I have a flat platform built that the box will sit on and I will be attaching it to the base.

19. bigmajestic

bigmajestic New Member

Nov 15, 2016
    South Mississippi
    I did weld some angle iron supports in the middle. When installed, It was attached in four locations, two outer edges and two supports in the middle. I also cut a piece of OSB I had leftover from the project build and installed it in the floor of the tool box. I used self tapping screws to mount through the plywood the tool box and into to the trailer. The OSB gave me piece of mind for placing heavier items inside.

20. Matt Kolbach

Matt Kolbach New Member

May 19, 2017
    What did you end up with as far as a floor layout? Or is the center just wide open?