1998 StarCraft venture 2106 rebuild

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by R&B camping, Jul 25, 2018.

1. R&B camping

R&B camping New Member

Jul 25, 2018
    So me and the wife just bought our first pop up and we're so excited. When we first looked at it which was late evening we were very happy with our find but after we got it home and began to look it over with a fine tooth comb we realized that it was not in as good a shape as we thought . We found that the top is completely rotted and the floor is rotted in spots also. So we have decided to do a complete rebuild from the frame up. I have started tearing out the cabinets and began wondering if that is going to cause a problem with how sturdy the rest of the camper is while I tear them out. Here are a few pictures of our pup . So I have a few questions that I hope I can get some help with on here.
    #1 can I remove all cabinets with out it affecting the structure itself or are they part of what holds it's rigidity?
    #2 should I go ahead and remove the top before I finish ripping out the old cabinets or will It be ok untill I'm ready to remove the front and rear and side walls?
    Thanks for any help I can receive I will continue to post pics throughout the rebuild and ask questions..

Attached Files:

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The cabinets are structural to help hold the walls in place. That being said I would start at the top and work down as it was built from the bottom up. Take tones of pictures & measurements of how things are joined together. This will be helpful latter when you goto replace appliances and so forth. Good Luck have fun and remember it's all about the good times to come.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. R&B camping

R&B camping New Member

Jul 25, 2018
    Well got the top off today and all the canvas out, I hope the canvas goes in as easy as it came out . Have to build some saw horses to put the top on so I can start building the new one. 20180804_153126.jpg 20180804_153126.jpg 20180804_152853.jpg

megcabra and jnc like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Good luck and I hope it's easier then it looks!

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome from South Carolina. I always enjoy a good project, especially when I don't have to do it.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Good Luck with the remodel and repairs, When completed you will have a nice, sound unit that you will be proud of. Just take your time, think each step thru and write the measurements down and as stated take pictures then one step at the time and everything will workout. the other advantage is you will be completely familiar with the PUP by the time you get through with it.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping

7. R&B camping

R&B camping New Member

Jul 25, 2018
    558C0DA7-B878-4AF8-9B09-A62390E44CCA.png Well got a little more done on the roof demo and it is full of rotting wood.

8. R&B camping

R&B camping New Member

Jul 25, 2018
    Well have not done much to camper lately due to shift change and stupid daylight savings time. I got all the cabinets removed and the Lino out and realized I am going to have to replace the whole floor. So I will have to remove all the walls and have not had time or help to do that yet. Hope to get some more done this weekend!

9. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Yeah, I'm with you, the Daylight Savings Time sure does rob a person of doing stuff "after work". Keep plugging away and you'll get there! The good news is that once you're done, you'll be confidant it's done right and get many, many years of faithful service. Keep up the good attitude and keep those updates coming!

10. R&B camping

R&B camping New Member

Jul 25, 2018
    I so believe that removing the foam insulation from the top is the hardest part or at least my knuckles do!