1999 Rockwood Signature 1476G redo

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Marcmiller04, Jan 10, 2018.

1. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Yes the DW & I love being in the woods. We may be carrying guns with us but we never seem to bring any animals home.
    After we endured that deep freeze i was told folks use pool noodles to fill the gap and added foam insulation under the mattress.
    If you want to make a bed in the dinette just goto the DARK SIDE as we did but just for the cold weather camping as in November December in New England.

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Many national park campgrounds don't have electricity at the sites.

3. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    That's the first I heard of pool noodles for that, that's a good idea. I've read some people put them under the covers to store the camper so it can breath. I haven't heard about the insulation under the mattress either, but have heard of using the foam floor mats like the ones you can get from HF. I'm going to keep my mattress on the bunk and use air mattress on top of that, so that should be good insulation and comfortable too.

4. Marcmiller04

Marcmiller04 Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Erie Colorado
    The air mattress will actually allow cold air into it pretty easily. If you are looking for something to prevent that, Cabelas or Bass Pro will have insulated air mattresses that prevent the cold from getting to you. When I hunt elk in late november I have a 3 inch mattress pad I use, as long as you keep it dry and clean it helps a ton. I slept on the ground with that without being too cold at night, but the wood burning stove didn't hurt...

As for the generator, $88 one has a decibel rating of 92 which seems a little high, and it only has a 5 hour run time at 50%. The one I have is 72 decibels and 4000 watt capacity. I was thinking about building a little box for it that would be a sound deadener, but still allow it to breathe. Could be a little tricky, but would be worth the decibel drop and not annoying everyone around me. It would also need to be able to be taken down easily and put back up just as easily... hmmmm new build thread maybe

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  5. Marcmiller04

Marcmiller04 Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Erie Colorado
    What propane furnace do you have? I am looking to clear up some space at the same time as upgrade, just not really wanting to spent a grand on one...

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I used the foam insulation because it was free.

7. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I'm glad I'm here on this site, because everything I think to do or have done, is wrong or there's something I didn't think about. I slept on an unheated waterbed once and it was cold and it about killed my back. I had to put blankets on top of the bed. With the flocked air mattress, I didn't think it would be cold like a waterbed.
    So you use your mattress pad on top of an air mattress or you use that as a mattress? I've read where a lot of people use the egg crate mattress pads on top of the bunk mattress, but instead of the pad, I was going to use the air mattress. A friend of mine and her husband have an rv and also do a lot of tent camping. A few years back their tent was covered in snow. At this point, I don't see myself camping in the snow or the cold. It's 35 deg outside now and will be in the 20's tonight, but I can't see myself camping out in it.
    When you mentioned insulated air mattress, it made me think of the reflective insulated thermal shades that you use on your windshield. The DollarTree usually has them - Driver’s Choice Foil Car Sunshades, 24x50 in. - but they're out of stock. I had one that I had never opened and when I took it out, you could cut it to make a rectangle and use duct tape to tape a couple of them together to place under the mattress and even extend it to try to cover the gap between the mattress and the canvas.
    Lol, I had to see how loud a mower was to compare it to the generator and a lawn mower produces around 90 dB. So that generator is as loud or louder than my riding mower. I have an electric mower and it has hardly any noise. I don't know how to make the generator quieter, but I know I wouldn't want to enclose the fumes and have it explode. I did a search and found this link for a modified muffler - http://www.alpharubicon.com/altenergy/gensetquiet.htm If it works, it would make that $88 generator look a whole lot better.

8. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Been's it was going to get so cold tonight, I went out and plugged in the camper to put the little electric heater that I bought to see how well it heated it up. The ceiling lights work as well as the bunk fans, but the heater wouldn't work. I plugged it in 3 separate plugs and nothing. I didn't think to plug in my coffee pot, but I'm sure it won't work either. The plug by the converter has an indicator light that is working, so I don't understand what's going on.

9. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    It's the standard Atwood hydroflame. It's 16000 btu. Works very well in the cold. I could add a heat strip to my A/C unit but that would add no more heat then a small ceramic heater.

10. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Are you plugged into shore power? Or trying to use battery? The converter changes AC power (the 110 plugs) to DC (12v). If you are on battery, the AC power will not work.

If you are on shore power, then you should check all the breakers in the power center and reset any GFCI plugs. Sometimes the light on the plug means it's tripped and needs to be reset.

11. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I just used a heavy duty cord from the house and plugged it into the adapter that fit the camper plug. I went back out and did the reset like you said, but that didn't work either. Lol, I was questioning myself if it was hooked up to the battery, but there's not one, so I'm positive it's shore power.:) I can't think of one thing that I've done with this camper that worked. But I'd rather learn from my mistakes in the driveway than on the road.

p.s. I looked in the power center and didn't see a breaker. I'll have to take a flashlight and see if I can see any better.

12. Marcmiller04

Marcmiller04 Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Erie Colorado
    Are the heaters in these campers electric, or are they propane? I actually did the same thing today, plugged into shore power, and tested all the lights and everything. All my plugs worked, but the heater didn't and I just assumed it was because it's propane... could be wrong though.

I'm checking those generator mufflers out right now

13. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Mine has a propane heater but I won't be trying to light it. I bought a little electric heater from Walmart. Those little heaters do pretty good in a small space.
    I thought you might like those mufflers. If they work, they're cheap enough that it's doable.

14. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    If it is the propane furnace, and you have propane, there is a switch on the thermostat that needs to be turned on. Propane furnaces use DC power for the fan.

For your electric heaters and no power at the receptacle, your power center will have at least two breakers. Check those. Then check every recepticle and reset the GFCI button on them. Don't forget the plug for the fridge if you have a fridge.

Make sure the house recepticle is still working too. Sometimes a camper will trip those.

15. Marcmiller04

Marcmiller04 Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Erie Colorado
    Well I got into it a little bit today Set the whole camper up, hooked up to shore power and tested the inside stuff. I couldn't tell if the fridge worked, and didn't get the heater to work, but I assume that's propane and there's no LP in my cylinders.

I took to the drivers side and removed some of the trim and doors. Got the doors off that were locked and inaccessible.

Ran into some wood rot in the front, basically inside where the front storage is, so I will do some more digging to find out what I want to do (wait until later to handle it, or bite the bullet and handle it now...)

We have come up a with a paint scheme, and bought some paint today. We are going to do a red stripe along the bottom, not sure how high, but at least 6-8 inches, then white for the main body, and blue for the roof sides (keeping the top white). The doors will get the same blue as the top stripe and the little pieces in between will be decided on as we go.

Question: the rubbery or plasticy inserts that are in the doors where the screws go, I can't seem to find any type of replacements for those, is that something I can do on my own? I use this stuff called titebond on the houses I work on and the seals are tight, and flexible, wondering if I can use that in those spots instead of that rubber ring???? And then on the front and back rounded molding the same strip is in there covering the screws, but I can't seem to get it out. Any suggestions?

I have attached pictures of the progress as well as the titebond.

Also attaching a pic of a heater I am considering, seems to have good reviews and the price is right...

Lastly, there are two grey pieces on the trailer, they have a little bar in them that moves up and down, but I don't know what they are for. Can anyone help me there? In one of the pics it is the piece between the roof latch and the level bubble.
    71nkECUUV7L._SL1244_.jpg IMG_20180113_164727814_HDR.jpg IMG_20180113_164732396_HDR.jpg IMG_20180113_164738305_HDR.jpg IMG_20180113_164745561_HDR.jpg IMG_20180113_165958403_HDR.jpg IMG_20180113_170001576_HDR.jpg white-titebond-patches-sealants-tb-wh71201-64_1000.jpg

16. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Those are for your awning. The feet on the poles go there. It's probably a carefree of Colorado awning, Campout model.

17. Marcmiller04

Marcmiller04 Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Erie Colorado
    Thanks, good to know. We are gonna do a cheap man's awning unless I can find that one for cheap.

18. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I reset the receptacle and that didn't do anything. I also took a flashlight and tried to looked in the power center and didn't find anything to fiddle with there. This is going on my list too.

19. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Are you talking about the vinyl inserts that cover the screws? If so, you can get that cheap on ebay. It also comes in different colors other than white.

Marcmiller04 likes this.
  20. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

May 15, 2014
    Overland Park, KS
    If you camp someplace quiet, you can annoy people at a great distance with a generator.

Marcmiller04 likes this.