1st attempt at Rear wall reconstruction, question on wood

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by mnmattie, Jun 11, 2019.

1. mnmattie

mnmattie New Member

Got a 1998 Coachmen Clipper 1270 and the rear wall had some rot damage. I started to disassemble the rear wall frame and saw that the wood used was 1" x 1 1/2" actual size. I picked up some 1"x2" but of course that was nominal so the wall I'm building is a 1/4 thinner. I'm debating on trying to find actual 1" x 1 1/2" actual size wood, or just take the 3/4" frame I have and attach some 3/8" plywood to it to build up the missing .250" and also add strength?

What are some input you guys can offer? I'm a machinist but when it comes to wood......it's a whole different animal to me.

Thanks!

2. IndyRick

IndyRick New Member

It's extremely unlikely that you're going to find wood that measures 1" x 1 1/2". You'd be better off starting with 2x2s or 2x4s and ripping them to size. If you don't have access to a table saw, then ask friends and neighbors to find someone who does. If you're anywhere near me, I'd love to help you out. Besides just helping out a fellow PUP camper, it would be great to know a machinist who owes me a favor. I think most other DIY types would feel the same way.

Raycfe and mnmattie like this.
  3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I see 2X4's ripped every day for this purpose.

4. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Here's my thread.

http://www.popupportal.com/threads/2002-rockwood-2280-backwall-rebuild.121164/

From my first post: