1st trip of the season in our NTU HTT

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by eprovenzano, Mar 9, 2017.

1. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

Oct 6, 2013
    In 6 days we're heading from the Pittsburgh PA area to just below Myrtle Beach SC to Huntington Beach State Park. Our DS will graduate in May with a degree in Welding Technology, so being able to camp with him this summer is a huge question mark... I'm hoping he gets a job making enough money that he can take care of gear ol dad... [LOL] So we're taking advantage of his spring break and also breaking in the NTU HTT we bought last fall... We bought it in late October, just in time to winterize and put it into storage.

When the kids were little we used to camp at Lakewood Campground, just south of Myrtle Beach. Lakewood is a resort... it's a beautiful campground, but my son wanted something a little more rustic and quiet. As he's stated all I want to do is go to the ocean, sit in my chair, fish and watch the waves. (I'm not even sure if he'll bait the hook). I guess he needs a break and just wants to kick back for a few days... DW and I are looking forward to using the HTT.

I've upgraded my TV from a Jeep Grand Cherokee to a Dodge Ram 1500. I've also picked up a weight distribution hitch with sway control. Prior to putting the HTT away for the winter, we crawled all over every square inch, making sure all was well... and it was. I just pulled the camper home, and will begin transferring all of our camping gear that was in the pup to the HTT.

One hiccup in the timing... the local temps are not cooperating... lows in the upper teens, so dewinterization is going to be a little complicated... Plans are to drain the RV antifreeze and sanitize and flush the system. I'll then use a DIY connector from my air compressor to blow out the lines. I'll of course need to dump the tanks, as well. I'll pick up a gallon of RV antifreeze to pour a little into the drain traps. I'll take the antifreeze with me... just in cast the temps look too cold for our return trip. I may have to rewinterize the water lines before we leave.

Such is life at this time of the year... better safe then sorry...

2. JPBar

JPBar Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Sounds like a great trip you have planed. I got 61 more days until our first trip. Be safe and have fun!!

3. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Good luck with the maiden voyage....If your sure the water system is intact, I would not worry about dewinterizing until you get to the camp ground.

4. vagov

vagov Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Congrats on your upgrade of both truck and camper, and also tell your son congratulation on his. Degree! Have fun. And be safe.

5. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Wow, 5 days to departure... (hey I'm a little excited)... and I wake up to 3 inches of wet snow... [:(O] The temps at the beach won't be as warm as we hoped... doesn't matter... We're excited for a little get away. I was going to was and polish the camper... mother nature reminded me that would be a waste of time... Since the temps are going to be in the low teens... yetavon think I'm going to take your advise. I may wait until we arrive and dewinterize and sanitize there... no sense in pushing it... I'll open the low point drains to help remove as much of the antifreeze as I can.

6. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

Oct 6, 2013
    With departure less then 24 hours and temps in the teens... Mother Nature made the decision easy... I'll wait until we get to the campground before we dewinterize...

7. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Well as anticipated mother nature was not kind as we departed... the temp was a whopping 9 degrees... yes it was cold... I struggled to get the WDH connected as my hands were frozen. I could tell it was working as the truck and trailer were not seesawing over the bumps. During the trip down we began to see some high winds, so at a re-fuel stop I connected the friction anti-sway bar... I could tell it was working as I could feel the wind, but the trailer never wavered, no white knuckle moments, just smooth sailing.

We stayed at Huntington Beach State Park just down the coast below Myrtle Beach SC. The parks sites are huge. Normal campgrounds would have at least 2 if not three spots in between the Parks sites... Plus there was a huge common area size of 2 football fields in the center for the kids to play. The campground was affected by recent storms and took advantage to upgrade the bath houses. The closet one to us was closed for repairs... not a problem, as the next one was freshly remodeled. We liked the park so much, we booked a return trip for the fall.

Out 1st night the temps dipped to 20 degrees... I'm happy to report the heated mattresses worked perfectly, as did the furnace. We supplemented the furnace with a small electric heater. The furnace did run a few times the 1st night, but rarely after that. Everything in our NTU HTT worked as expected. We're still figuring out where's the best spot to store everything, but that's part of the fun of a new camper. Very happy with the HTT... even happier to started camping again...

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Sounds like a good trip. Spring and fall are the best times to camp down there. My family stayed at Ocean Lakes several summers when I was a kid. No shade and 95 degrees. It was miserable.