2001 Jayco Eagle SO

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Jml96sv, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Jml96sv

Jml96sv Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Hello,

I am looking at buying a new PUP. I looked at a 1999 Jayco Heritage Manistee with an ABS Roof. It had A/C but there were no braces. I am also looking at a 2001 Eagle 12 SO without A/C and a Filon Roof, there are no Braces. Does the Eagle 12 with the Filon Rood need braces?

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Not sure on the eagle. I have a Laurel - same line as the Manistee. No issues with mine. Bracing is internal to the roof structure. The Jayco is also probably the best abs roof out there. I never ran across a single instance of delamination while researching them. I have been very happy with mine.

3. mattlreese

mattlreese Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I had a 1994 Eagle 10 and it did not have bracing. Unfortunately I do not know if the 2001 is the same design.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. I just realized that you have been a member for a while.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  5. Jml96sv

Jml96sv Member

Feb 19, 2017
    If I decide to go with the 12 SO, are Jayco Parts a little more affordable than Coleman? I have considered putting A/C in my Coleman Sun Valley but with the ABS roof and the Brace costing almost $300, I am ready to upgrade to bigger with A/C either installed or Prepped

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  6. Jml96sv

Jml96sv Member

Feb 19, 2017
    What year is your Laurel? I am going to look at a '99 Laurel this evening. I looked at it a few days ago and the seller patched some holes and cleaned it up, so I am going to look at it post cleaning. I am interested in it but my concern is Tongue Weight. Jayco lists it at 360 lbs dry. My minivan will do 360 or 540 with a WDH. Can you confirm the dry tongue weight?

7. Sneezer

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Haven't measured the tongue weight - it will vary depending on what you put in the front trunk. Were the holes in the canvas? Jayco should still have the full canvas in stock. I got mine for about $4-500 a couple years ago, and I think someone else ordered one a couple months ago that I know of. With two lpg tanks and a battery it is pretty heavy though. I tow with an SUV so I haven't had to mess with a WDH, but I might do it this year to see what sort of difference it makes.

8. Jml96sv

Jml96sv Member

Feb 19, 2017
    There were a few holes in the canvas. All have been patched by the seller with Canvas and Tear mender. It does not look perfect but it is dry. I measured the Tongue weight, it came in about 260 which I need to measure again when the camper is on totally flat level ground, that seems totally doable with my van as I can go to 500 with a WDH. The final issue was the fridge, it lights on LP but it did not get cold after 5 or 6 hours. I really like the Laurel but no Fridge would kill the deal.

9. Sneezer

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Can you plug it in? Flip it to 110 and see what happens. The lpg burners have been known to get clogged up with insects/debris. Mine lights, but doesn't seem to always stay lit. Fridge works fine on 110 and 12V though. Since I camp with hookups I haven't bothered trying to clean out my burner, but it is on my list this year.

I added a 2nd fridge to mine - it rides in the car and once set up I move it to the countertop across from the sink. Has worked great for me for a couple years now.

10. Jml96sv

Jml96sv Member

Feb 19, 2017
    The seller plugged it in for about 30 minutes, said it got hot but did not cool. I am assuming that the inside cooling fins would not be cool after 30 minutes?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  11. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I don’t know if mine gets cold in 30 minutes. I’d plug it in and leave it for 2-3 hours and go from there. Lots of folks around these parts take theirs out and replace with dorm style mini fridge

12. Sneezer

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Mine is slow to cool. I usually plug it in a day or two before I need to put stuff in it. After a couple hours though the inside fins should be cold while the outside is hot.