2003 Jayco Qwest - No Power - Centurion 3000 converter

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Gwynne, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Gwynne

Gwynne New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Ontario
    I am looking for some advice. I hooked up a new battery to my trailer while it was plugged in. Since then I have no power. I hooked up the battery without the electrical cord and I hit the reset button on the GFCI switch and also checked the 20 amp fuse which was fine. The lights still don't work. I do not have a manual for the converter. Any suggestions?

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    A couple of things .... the battery has nothing to do with the GFCI switch. GFIs are only for 110 VAC (household current).
    The lights work on 12 VDC. So as a recap .... the camper is plugged in and do the outlets work? They should, if not plug something else in the outlet the camper is plugged into to check if the outlet is "live".
    As for the battery if you install the wires backwards it will blow the battery protection fuse. Either near the battery terminal or the one at the convertor.

3. Gwynne

Gwynne New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Ontario
    I connected the battery correctly with the red wire to red positive. I know that the outlet is good for my house. The camper was just closed and covered for the upcoming rain that is coming tonight and tomorrow. I will see if the outlets work while plugged in once up. Appreciate your help.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Where there any other color wires?

5. Gwynne

Gwynne New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Ontario
    The white went to the negative. Exactly how it was connected to the old battery that I replaced.

6. Gwynne

Gwynne New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Ontario
    Tent trailer is back up. Lights and an appliance worked when the cord was plugged in. The 20 Amp fuse is good. Battery is new and was connected correctly. Connecting contacts to battery were cleaned. There is no fuse near the battery. No lights when on battery.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  7. Gwynne

Gwynne New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Ontario
    Hi. I am her boyfriend. I've just looked over the trailer. Everything works when plugged in 120v. Now we are looking at getting the lights and fridge to work on 12v DC. I was troubleshooting only the lights so far. With the battery connected only, I measured 12.7v (the voltage of the battery) at the light circuit. When I turned on the light switch, the light turned on for 1 sec and either shut off or blinked for few more seconds. Also, the voltage at the light dropped. With the light switch on, the voltage continuously loops from 0v to 3.7-3.8v. When I turn off the light switch the voltage goes back up to 12v (it takes a few minutes).

I also measured a 2Mohms (1.99..) between + - at the battery when plugged in. I don't know if it's normal.

Additional info, when the trailer is plugged in 120v it provides 13.7v DC at the battery connectors unconnected. So, it tells me that all the wiring is good and that the convertor works.

Can you help?

8. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Check for a loose ground wire on the frame. You'll have to look under the camper.

9. Gwynne

Gwynne New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Ontario
    No ground wires were loose but, I cleaned them all. No more 2Mohms measurement at the battery connectors, it's now infinite. However, nothing works still on battery only. After plugging the battery it takes 1-2 minutes before the voltage at the light circuit reaches 12v. When I turned the light switch on the voltage dropped to 0v then, with the switch off, it will go back up to 12v after 1-2 minutes. Any other suggestions?

10. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I suggest taking your battery to an auto parts store and ask them to load test it for you. I think your battery might be faulty. How old is it?

11. Gwynne

Gwynne New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Ontario
    Brand new battery. 2 weeks old.

12. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    The next step is replace the reverse polarity fuse and all battery related fuses. Do this with fresh fuses, even if looks good.

13. Gwynne

Gwynne New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Ontario
    There is no fuse outside the camper near the battery. There is one 20amp fuse and the rest are 15amps. All the fuses are good but I will replace the 20 amp. I will contact the RV centre to learn where the reverse polarity fuse is. Thank you!

14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    I'd be checking the wire from the batt + to the power center for bad/loose/dirty connection, eventually it connects to a short red wire on the back of the power center. The white wire(s) on the back of the power center 12v side need checking also.

15. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Just a little advice if you did not already know this, but the fridge should only run on 12V while the pup is in transit as the tow vehicle is charging he battery or the fridge will drain the battery in about 4 hours.

Gwynne likes this.
  16. Gwynne

Gwynne New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Ontario
    Thanks. He did check and clean all connectors.

17. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    Bad connection.
    Bad battery.
    Disconnect in converter not switching to battery when off shore power.
    Some converters have a manual switch to change from shore power to battery power, while others are automatic.

18. Gwynne

Gwynne New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Ontario
    Thank you Billy. The battery is brand new. I will have him look at the connections again. He already cleaned all the connections and measured the power with a multi meter. When I went to the RV Centre the man said that there is no short as everything works with electricity. He thinks that it is the converter. My boyfriend will check it again next weekend.

19. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    If you cannot get the battery load tested, an easy check is to connect the Pup to your tow vehicle and see if the charge from the vehicle (running) is enough to charge the battery and power up your 12v applicances/lights.

20. Gwynne

Gwynne New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Ontario
    I had the new battery load tested today and it was defective and replaced. Thank you so much for all your help!

BillyMc likes this.