2005 Fleetwood Utah?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by SlinginIron, Jan 2, 2018.

1. SlinginIron

SlinginIron New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Dayton, WA
    I am going to look at what I think is a 2005 Utah. (It has the cassette toilet) All of the online photos look good however, it is priced fairly low ($2000) and listed as a "handyman special". A couple of red flags have gone up but, I have not seen it in person. I have requested more photos of the "canvas" and the roof both interior and exterior. The salesman said it had normal wear and tear and they are just trying to reduce inventory. He said the floor was solid. He also said that the previous owner had a leak in the roof that only caused some discoloration but, the leak had been repaired.
    My question to you fine folks is; What else should I be asking about this PU? The dealer is about 5 hours away and I want to have a good idea if it is worth my time to look at it. I do like the price and I will not purchase it if I believe it is junk (needs a new roof). I inquired about the "handyman special" part of the deal and was told there was nothing major it just needed some TLC. That factor does not scare me away and I can deal with some repairs. (My back ground: Heavy equip tech for ten years and becoming a decent woodworker) Thanks for your help!

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Handyman special is concerning. Some dealers will say anything to make a deal also pictures can be altered or angled in a certain way to hide damage, so do beware. However some dealers can be truthful so it is hard to say what this person is without looking at the unit in person unfortunately. Although personally I'm thinking $2000 is awful low for normal wear and tear. I have a 2004 Fleetwood Utah that I bought a few years back for $3500 that needed some minor work. The roof leak they told me was fixed unfortunately was not, but they did caulk all the seams and the roof was solid. What was actually leaking was the roof racks, the water was coming under the racks and into the screw holes. So this may be the same problem on the one you are looking at. I fixed my leak with eternabond tape. It's up to you whether you want to make the drive to see it. Obviously if you do go look at it, inspect and feel the roof. Crawl under the camper and inspect and feel the floor, go into cabinets and do the same. Make sure there is no serious rust on the frame. For the age of the camper do expect to have to replace the tires, barrings, and breaks. The biggest thing and many dealers don't like to do is have then raise and lower the roof with YOU there watching.

jumpoff and SlinginIron like this.
  3. SlinginIron

SlinginIron New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Dayton, WA
    Thank you for your input. I will be sure to run it up and down while I'm there, actually I will have to insist on opening and closing the unit because I have not been around one since I was a kid. Man, we went everywhere with that thing, good memories. I hope to share some memories with my own family. I will try to do a good job inspecting the roof, cabinets and underside of the floor. I had not thought about rust either, usually not an issue out here but, who knows where it came from. I will be cautious, and I agree that the price seems low for the year and model as to what I have seen elsewhere. Again thank you for your help.

4. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    I'm also looking for a similar age/size PUP and that price seems very low compared to what I've seen around me (in the Chicago suburbs). Especially at a dealer, they are usually higher. Honestly, I hear "water damage" or "previous leak but they fixed it" and I run! I believe you just have to assume the worst - it leaked for a long time before they fixed it, they may have fixed the surface damage, but worse damage lurks beneath.

However if you are up for a project, then it might be a good deal for you! As long you are willing to buy a project, not a ready-to-camp camper.

jumpoff and SlinginIron like this.
  5. SlinginIron

SlinginIron New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Dayton, WA
    I agree, thank you!

6. HotelRoyale

HotelRoyale Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Check for mold.

SlinginIron likes this.
  7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Oct 1, 2014
    I can tell you that in my part of the country that camper is only worth $3000 if it was perfect. If the roof isn't all cracked, the interior solid, canvas not a complete disaster than the price is right on target for a dealer. Dont be afraid to flash some cash with a low ball offer winter is a tuff time to sell a camper. Good luck.

SlinginIron likes this.
  8. SlinginIron

SlinginIron New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Dayton, WA
    Copy that! I will do. I did get some more pictures from the dealer and I haven't seen anything that has scared me away yet. So, I'm hitting the road at about 3 in the morning. If the weather isn't too bad I should roll into Missoula, at about 9 am their time. I sure appreciate everyone's time and input into this matter, it's helped me a lot and I'll update as to what I see after the trip.

9. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    I would be concerned with the "handyman special" comment. At 5 hours away, I'd keep looking. Surely you can something you like that's closer and easier to inspect. I'm not saying this Utah is a bad deal or a rotted camper, but from what you already know, I'd want to make a careful inspection and 5 hours is too far for that (for me) given the likelihood of finding an undiscovered jewel in that one.

SlinginIron and jumpoff like this.
  10. SlinginIron

SlinginIron New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Dayton, WA
    Well, thank you everyone for your comments and pointers. I did go and look at the camper and it was about in the condition I expected. I was really disappointed in the knowledge level of the salesman and the technicians. I felt that through popupportal, the help of you fine folks along with a lot of youtube and googling I was in a more knowledgeable position than the dealership. It is definitely a project. However, I am excited to say that I am a Utah CP owner! There is some roof sag and water damage to the ceiling (as expected) however I am not worried about making the repairs and adding some of the anti-sag braces to it. I am going to remove the rack rails and seal the top with a type of UV resistant bedliner. I am not sure yet about replacing the roof end caps. The caps are intact and look to be in decent condition except for previous "repairs". The pup will live either in my shop or my lean-to so rain/snow should not be an issue.
    There really wasn't a mold smell and when I put it in my shop, I opened it up and turned on the heat. Even after that I still didn't catch any mold smell but, more will be known upon disassembly. The canvas is acceptable but, I will probably replace it in a year or two.
    The floor looked and felt good top and bottom.
    Stove, furnace, refrigerator are all working. I'm not sure about the hot water heater yet however, the water system does have antifreeze in it and I was assured it worked but, I trust those dudes about as far as I can throw them.
    Overall the interior was in surprisingly good shape compared to my expectations.
    One surprise was a missing corner lens (which they had in stock and I replaced before leaving).
    The slides worked well, smooth operation, no binding. The glide-out worked well.
    I was disappointed that the metal clips to hold the bunk support rods were bent or missing, and that led to surprise #2 which was that there had been some water damage to the OSB on the bunk ends. I happen to be working on my shop right now and I am removing 4x8 sheets of like new OSB so I can either use that or I will special order king size pieces of it, I haven't decided.
    Surprise #3 was that between Montana and Washington my lift system decided to no longer work. This was frustrating because as instructed I ran it up and down in my inspection. The system looks simple enough. I have not yet torn into it but, I believe it's the assembly in the rear (sprocket, chain, threaded shaft) or an issue with the whiffle tree (sp?). Cables and the brake are functioning. Oddly enough, I'm not upset about this repair because I'd rather go through and R&R that system before I use the camper in the mountains anyway.
    Trailer brakes worked but, bearings seals and shoes are on my repair list anyway.
    All in all with my current parts list I should be into it for about another grand for a nice functional camper, then with the new canvas at some point I believe I can have a better than new pup. I will be sure to put my repair threads up once I get some parts. A lot of the older threads where someone has done these repairs have no pics or photobucket pics so it is only text to guide you.
    My original plan for this camper if I purchased it was to fix it up, use it for a couple of years and sell it however, surprise #4 was that it towed really nice, I lost a couple MPGs but, that could have been the snow/slush/4WD on the trip back. Surprise #5 was how big it was! Man! I wish I new what my parents had when I was younger but, it wasn't anything like this. I am really excited to get her in tip-top shape and I will probably hold onto it for a long time.
    One more thing... there are so many places to get parts, its kind of nice and somewhat surprising but, I have not been able to find the rails, cables, and snappy things for the door mount. These are missing, (as that is the roof section with the water damage), I found the exploded parts view for it but, nowhere to purchase them as of yet. Any suggestions?

11. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    Congratulations on your NTU p'up! For parts, start with Beckley's in PA. I think it's beckleysrv.com. Alternately, colemanpopupparts.com

G'luck!

SlinginIron likes this.
  12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Oct 1, 2014
    /\ X2 ya what he said /\

13. DJS12354

DJS12354 Active Member

Congrats on the NTU pup and good luck!

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Congrats from another Fleetwood Utah owner. As mentioned above, colemanpopupparts.com will have many parts so hopefully they will have what you are looking for. They are based out of PA and at least the part I ordered was shipped quickly. Good luck.

15. myride

myride Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Good luck and congrats from another 2004 Utah owner! X2 on colemanpopuppaprts.com. .good prices and fast shipping.

16. SlinginIron

SlinginIron New Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Dayton, WA
    Thank you very much everyone! Thanks for the Beckley's reference as well, they do have the cables and tracks I need.

17. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Welcome to Coleman Family in the Popupportal! You will appreciate the Utah after you are done with repairs.