2007 Fleetwood E2

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by KRash89, Jan 7, 2018.

1. KRash89

KRash89 New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Hello, I have an e2 (no a/c, or anything on the roof) that seems hard to crank up. everything is cleaned and lubed up. I have noticed that that the handle and extension tube is wobbling around quite a bit. could the actual crank assembly be the Issue for the hard crank? wiffle tree looks to be straight when I put a straight edge on it.

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Oct 1, 2014
    I would have to guess that something isn't greased/oiled or out of alignment. If you just applied new grease/oil maybe raise it up and down a few times to let the grease work its way in. I had to regrease my whiffletree twice after mice nested in it. Did you oil all the pulleys and cable. Remember not to oil the crank hub. This will make it much harder for the pressure plate to work.

3. KRash89

KRash89 New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    yea I have cleaned and then greased the whiffletree 3 times now. I did oil the cables and pulleys. it feels the same as when I first got it. As the roof goes up I measured it, all sides are withing 1 milometer of each other. It goes up and down smoothly, I just feel like there is two much resistance when going up. my parents had a 76 startcraft that went up easier

4. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
  5. KRash89

KRash89 New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    i have been doing a little more research, it seems that the nut that keeps the extension tube on strips out,even if that is not my issue, its getting replaced. it would suck to be setting up camp and have the popup not pop up, the thrust bearing comes in the kit

6. jnc

Oct 1, 2014
    Thats a fun kit to play with! Be patient!

7. KRash89

KRash89 New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    haha I work on Bmw and Audi's for a living I'm kinda used to things being a pain

8. jnc

Oct 1, 2014
    at one point I was going to throw the whole thing in a bucket and buy a new assembly! I guess if you can work on a beammer you have the patients needed. I also needed to get a few new bolts to mount it back on the frame after I drilled out the rivets.

9. KRash89

KRash89 New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    I was planning on putting new rivets in. depends on how the project goes. and If i have the motivation to do that. thanks for the tip

10. Boatnman

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Here's a good video on the entire lift system:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBkS9BWx-R0

Right at the mid point of the video is a good explanation of how the crank mechanism works. Although you don't have the chain, the operation is the same.

11. KRash89

KRash89 New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    I have watched a couple videos it looks like a pretty straight forward job

12. Boatnman

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    With the roof down, the extension tube should only slightly move in and out. There shouldn't be any side to side movement. Try removing the crank handle pin and check that the nut is tight. (You might want to add some blue Loctite to keep it secure.) But a loose extension tube probably isn't making the lift system hard to operate.

13. KRash89

KRash89 New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    yea it moves side to side alot, it will hit the sides of the opening for the handle.. it may not be the issue but it needs to be taken care of

14. Boatnman

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    If it's just the extension tube being loose, that's a fairly easy fix. But if the extension tube is tight and it's the drive shaft that is moving, then it's probably a bushing or the housing.

15. KRash89

KRash89 New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    I have the flu thats going around and strep throat. so It will be a little while tell i can get out there and work on it. all my tools are at work also. if it comes to it i will hook up and electric motor to the crank.

16. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My 2008 STARCRAFT 14RT series came with a couple of LIFTER ARM SAFETY POSTS to place between the roof and the frame in opposite corners. This would sure be handy to have in place when working on the lift setup... You can relieve the tension on the cables to inspect things without the roof falling down on you...

[​IMG]

Makes sleeping in the tent beds seem more safe knowing the roof is not going to drop down on top of you if a cable breaks while sleeping.

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

17. KRash89

KRash89 New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    I have some 2x4 form another project that I can use for that. I just need to finish one of the many projects.

18. Boatnman

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    You can also take the tension off the cables by raising the roof a few inches then pulling the bunks ends out a foot or so and lowering the roof to rest on the beds. A Fleetwood/Coleman lift system shouldn't "free fall" unless all 4 cables break at the same time.

19. KRash89

KRash89 New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    thats what i did when I replaced a cable when I first got the popup