2008 Coleman Fleetwood Niagra interior dome lights out

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by stromt, Jun 13, 2018 at 10:35 AM.

1. stromt

stromt New Member

Dec 17, 2016
    Atlanta GA
    I have a 2008 Niagra. The overhead 3 dome lights all lost power this weekend. Bulbs all test fine. Each of the dome lights have an aux power plug for the corded fan/light fixtures.
    The top 3 dome lights are controlled by a on/off switch at the entrance when on DC only and are not controlled by the switch when on AC. I have confirmed power to the top (roof) with both AC and DC so I do not have a power problem to the top. There are 2 other fixtures on the roof that are not controlled by the on/off switch at the door and both of these have power and work correctly.
    It seems as though there is a common positive power (black wire) that services these 3 fixtures that has come loose somewhere in the roof itself maybe?
    Does anyone have any ideas where that junction might be or if there is anything else that I might be missing?
    See attached pics 20180612_174917 copy.jpg 20180612_174905 copy.jpg 20180612_174917 copy.jpg 20180612_174905 copy.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    6ad4135f4a202c41426d6f8c1f8a6abc--welcome-to-group.jpg from the Connecticut shoreline

Just to add .... weather pugged into shore power or battery power the lights are DC only.
    Usually there are no "junctions" other than at the light fixtures. Feeds one, jumper to next, jumper to next, etc.

3. Pozi

Pozi Member

Feb 17, 2016
    Just a shot in the dark (pun intended) but have you checked your galley switch?

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

@JimmyM What do you think about this one?

5. stromt

stromt New Member

Dec 17, 2016
    Atlanta GA
    Yep, I realize that, but, when hooked to AC, the galley light switch is bypassed in some way and is not needed. The switch can be on or off and the galley lights still work. Your comment about jumping one to another makes sense but it's not daisy chained like a traditional electrical circuit. There are 2 wires only at each light. A black wire and white wire. I have tested the white wire and all ground properly. No power to any of the 3 black wires.???

6. stromt

stromt New Member

Dec 17, 2016
    Atlanta GA
    What I think you are referring to is the galley shut off switch. On this model it's on the bed slide out and yes it works. When the bed is slip out it's depressed and the circuit is complete. The other 2 working lights are on this same circuit and they work so it can't be that switch.

7. drocks

drocks Member

Jul 15, 2015
    There are 3 power wires that go up to the roof. Two of them are located just behind the rear lift post at the back of the shower, and the third is located next to the front lift post in front of the entry door. The wires by the shower are a black with blue stripe that powers the bath light and a black with pink stripe that is a constant hot that powers the ceiling plug for the dinette light and the smoke detector. The black wire that is at the doorside front lift post is the one that comes off the light switch and controls the 3 ceiling lights. I had the same problem shortly after getting my 2008 Niagara and found a bad connection at the plug by the front lift post. Here's a wiring diagram I found for the 2005 and later Niagara's that is pretty accurate. Since you say the bath and dinette lights work, the problem has to be with the doorside wire. One thing I don't like about the Coleman products (I've had 2 now) is their use of those cheap crimp connectors that don't require the wire to be stripped. Hope this helps.

ScreenHunter_339 Jun. 13 21.44.jpg

8. drocks

drocks Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Here's a pdf of the image too.

Attached Files:

9. stromt

stromt New Member

Dec 17, 2016
    Atlanta GA
    Thanks for the diagram. I agree with you that the black wire has to be the problem. I tested that wire for power directly at the plug/connector and poked through the black wire on the other side of the connector with my tester to see if power was coming through the plug to the other side and I did have power. I'm thinking it's further up in the roof maybe. The black wire running up the side is a heavier gauge wire that what is at each light fixture so I'm thinking there is either a junction where all 3 lights separate and run individually on a smaller gauge wire. I'm assuming though that the larger gauge wire runs the perimeter of the roof and each fixture taps into the larger gauge wire at each individual location.

10. drocks

drocks Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Check the ground wire too for continuity. If there is no ground, the circuit is open and the lights won't come on.