2008 Fleetwood Niagara Ceiling issue and a roof question

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by kevinpf, Mar 20, 2017.

1. kevinpf

kevinpf New Member

Jul 5, 2015
    Southern California
    Thanks in advance for any help on this.
    I am a long time Coleman owner and I am not one to move from rig to rig. I have a 1992 Arcadia that I bought brand new in Jan 1993 and we have used it well over the past 25 years.
    With that said, I am aware of all of the leak and repair issues with it's aluminum skin and I have had to do some reconstruction.

I have Just purchased a 2008 Fleetwood Niagara form the original owner. This rig is in excellent condition except for one concerning thing, soft spots in the ceiling.
    Just forward of where the Air conditioning would be located there is an area about 12 inches square the ceiling is soft if you push on it. Also further forward on the ceiling there are 3-4 bubbles between 1 and 3 inches around.

The roof appears solid with no voids and as I understand this roof is a 1 piece fiberglass unit.

Questions;
    Has anyone seen this before on this roof type and what has been the result?
    What is the make-up of the roof under the fiberglass (foam then luan, then vinyl?

Hope I didn't get myself into a huge project. Previous owner super nice and honest but was pretty clueless regarding maint and the workings of his equipment.

Ideas?

Than

2. friartuck

friartuck Active Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    I have an '08 Bayside with the same roof as your Niagara. The soft spots are probably caused by a leak around the A/C unit. The gasket is probably shot, or wasn't replaced before it started to leak. The time water got in my roof was from an old gasket and a small crack from the corner of the opening. It was an easy repair and no more leaks! (the gasket is ~ $14.00 from Amazon) The roof is as you have surmised, fiberglass, Styrofoam like foam, luan with a coating.
    If you pull the ceiling off then it is a project. When you pull the A/C unit, which you'll have to to replace the gasket, you may be able to let the ceiling dry by itself and work around re-gluing the ceiling panels. I did not have to pull my ceiling panels, just let them dry, and kept a small space heater going to help. But probably you may want to remove the front couple of ceiling pieces and and dry the inside of the ceiling. You may not need to replace the foam and the glue holding it to the roof is probably OK. Just need some pop rivets for the door track and a new paint job/wrap for the new ceiling panels. (might be a good time to look at vinyl wall art to wrap the panels. How cool would a starscape be on the ceiling :) )

3. kevinpf

kevinpf New Member

Jul 5, 2015
    Southern California
    Thanks for the response.
    This one doesn't have an air conditioner so I will have to do a really good look at the roof to see if there is a void/crack I can find.
    But thanks for confirming the roof components, it appears that regardless of the outer shell (ABS, Aluminum, Fiberglass, etc.) Fleetwood/Coleman used the same foam/luan/vinyl ceiling. Thanks for your recommendations for repair

4. friartuck

friartuck Active Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    With no A/C it's probably leaking from failed caulk from the corner caps or track/side walls. Still the same kind of fix. Good luck!

5. Adam H

Adam H Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Get up there and take a really close look at that roof. I found 2 small holes in mine (about 1/4 inch dia), Filled with epoxy and coated my roof with a clear sealer that is UV stable. Fleetwood also did not seal the side caps / roof rack tracks to the roof, they relied on the sealing of the Filon top to the Filon sides under the tracks (you can't see it), I sealed mine to the roof with Sikaflex urethane caulk.

Adam

6. kevinpf

kevinpf New Member

Jul 5, 2015
    Southern California
    Thanks, Sikaflex is always a good choice. Used it on my 1992 Arcadia.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen, I do appreciate the help

7. kevinpf

kevinpf New Member

Jul 5, 2015
    Southern California
    It gets even better than I expected. After picking up the trailer and setting it up for the first time at my place we noted all of the ceiling spots, cleaned off the roof so we could see better and HOLY CRAPOLA! The roof has small cracks all over the front 3rd of the trailer.

What did you use to seal the top? I am not sure I want to go the Grizzly Grip path but may have no options

8. Adam H

Adam H Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Are they hairline cracks or larger?

I used a product called Seal-Krete. Stuff is as thin as water but it penetrates, sticks to anything that is reasonably clean, it's UV stable and it's commonly used as a binder so anything sticks to it.
    Cleaned and scrubbed the roof with TSP.
    Put 1 coat of Seal-Krete on the roof making sure the stuff runs under the side rails and let dry for 30 minutes.
    Sealed the side rails to the roof with Sikaflex Urethane caulk (Fleetwood doesn't do this).
    Rolled 2 more coats of Seal Krete on with about a 2 hour wait between coats.
    You could roll any thing you want on top after if you wish, I didn't but other than the 2 holes I patched up, I only had a few hairline cracks.
    I repeat 2 coats every year in the Fall, makes the roof look line new.

Adam

9. kevinpf

kevinpf New Member

Jul 5, 2015
    Southern California
    Sounds like a plan. Doing maint every couple of years keeps you on top of any potential issues. What Seal Krete are you using? I have only used it on concrete garages and patios?
    Thanks for all the good info.

10. Adam H

Adam H Member

Aug 22, 2015
    The same stuff, comes in a gallon jug and states can be mixed with paint but the primary purpose is for concrete. Also covered my PVC bike rack to give it UV protection. Stuff sticks to everything.

Adam

11. Adam H

Adam H Member

Aug 22, 2015
    BTW, I may cover the Seal Krete with something some day but it works great as is. Also made my weathered old TT filon outside walls look like new again. Only did that once but after 5 years it still looked good when I sold it.

Adam