2009 Flagstaff 206LTD hitch requirements

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Mike76, Mar 20, 2017 at 7:07 PM.

1. Mike76

Mike76 New Member

Monday
    Hi! We're purchasing a 2009 Flagstaff 206LTD (Forest River) and we have a 2007 Jeep Patriot with the tow prep package. That includes a class II hitch (3500lb rating), 2inch ball (3500lb rating), oil and transmission cooler and 4pin wiring harness.

So obviously we're getting the 4pin harness upgraded to a 7pin so we can actually connect the trailer, that's lined up. But I was looking at the spec sheet pasted to the inside of one of the cupboards in the trailer and it says "Hitch requirements Class 3".

What gives? The trailer is 1450lbs dry and under 200lbs on tongue, and has a 2 inch receiver. Is there a reason for this? My hitch guy says it's fine to tow with my class II since it's within the specs for it.

Any thoughts or experience with this PUP and hitch combo would be awesome!
    Thanks!

2. Adam H

Adam H Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Tongue weight might go over class II specs when loaded. Assuming your hitch has a 350lb tongue weight limit???

Adam

3. Mike76

Mike76 New Member

Monday
    Ya the hitch itself is rated for 350lb on tongue. My Jeep technically only wants a max of 250lbs but that's just something I'll manage by not overloading the thing. As far as my hitch is concerned, this trailer shouldn't be able to go that high. The same sticker on the trailer says GVWR of 2359lbs and "Tongue load range" of 259lbs. Presuming the 259 is when you're at the GVWR, because all the brochures and other specs say the tongue weight is well below this for 'dry' or 'unloaded'.

4. Snow

Snow Active Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontaio
    Unless your going to strip the trailer down to just the absolute bare bones, forget the propane tank, battery, awning and possibly other stuff DO NOT use the dry weight for anything..

5. Mike76

Mike76 New Member

Monday
    The sticker shows the unloaded weight as 1430lbs, and then says 'minus off 93lbs for fresh water, minus off 23lbs for the propane' so that 1430 at least as far as this sticker is concerned, is with those at least. I've no idea what the batteries weigh though, yeah...

Less concerned about the overall weight of the thing, but now more concerned about tongue weight. My TV max is around 250, though the hitch itself can do 350. Not fully sure of the ramifications of going over that TV max by 20lbs, or if that truly would be the overage, or would it be far more if the tongue weight measure on the brochure is actually tongue weight for dry and not at GVWR...

6. Snow

Snow Active Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontaio
    Dry Weight (lbs/kg) 1493 / 677.2
    Payload Capacity (lbs/kgs) 762 / 345.6
    GVWR (lbs/kgs) 2274 / 1031.5
    Hitch Weight (lbs/kgs) 174 / 78.9

That's what I found.. hitch weight is taken dry .. 227.4 lbs would be the minimum TW of the GVWR, but seems like the TW is high on this model to start with so would probably be closer to 280 lbs, with no propane, battery etc.

7. Mike76

Mike76 New Member

Monday
    OK ya these are the numbers I saw when I was investigating this trailer, a hitch weight around the 180lbs mark. So I figured sure that's fine.

So the 227.4lbs as the minimum TW of the GVWR, as you say, means that at full load in the trailer itself the lowest tongue weight it could be would be 227.4, but the max with batteries and stuff might be 280?

We're tent campers by nature but with two toddlers now we're moving to a PUP, so we're sort of minimalist if there is such a thing with a PUP ;) So I'm not concerned about putting in too much gear, I wouldn't expect we'd have more than 300lbs total gear. So if the ratio is the same, basically, if I'm packing total weight (not thinking batteries because I have zero idea how much 2x6v will weigh), say 1850lbs, that'd put it at around 217lbs on tongue.

Does that seem sort of accurate?

8. Mike76

Mike76 New Member

Monday
    I think one thing that just scared me was I saw a brochure that listed the 206LTD with a tongue weight of 239lbs DRY (http://psndealer.com/dealersite/images/anthemrv/flagstafftent.pdf) and then another that lists it as 174 dry (http://www.petescamping.com/flagstaff/2009/Other/flagtent09.pdf). The 174 dry is definitely for the 2009 year though so many that's the difference...and the spec sheet in the trailer doesn't say if that tongue weight is the min at dry or the max at gvwr. Since it's listed under the gvwr I'd think it'd be that max amount, but man...so many numbers lol!

9. Snow

Snow Active Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontaio
    I'm not familiar with that make and model of trailer, so it's difficult to give a great answer, but if the galley, fridge are infront of the axle then yes it could very well have a higher tongue weight then if they are located behind the axle.. Also depending on how you load the trailer will also affect tongue weight..

10. Mike76

Mike76 New Member

Monday
    The fridge and sink are behind the axle, the water tank is in front but we can always fill it at our destinations to reduce weight, that's no issue.

I've asked the dealer if they have a means to measure the actual tongue weight of it right now, with batteries and propane on it, my sales guy is out till Thursday though so won't find out until then. There's very little room behind the axle to store stuff, if I recall, so anything we put in there is either going to be on the axle or in front of it.

Annoying that even on the dealer's site they list two numbers for the tongue weight, one at 174 and the other at 234. Pretty big difference guys...

11. JPBar

JPBar Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  12. JohnWI

JohnWI New Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Bathroom scale on top of cinder block. Lower tongue on it and measure.

13. Dingit

Dingit New Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I don't know anything about Jeeps, but when I was towing with a class II receiver, my limiting factor was the TV's payload. Some vehicles have very little...

14. Mike76

Mike76 New Member

Monday
    So the dealer went out to weigh it "as is" right now with whatever it comes with, a single 12v battery in place but no propane tank on the trailer. He used a Sherline tongue scale, but weighed it at the jack point and not the coupling, so his weight will be actually higher than it would be at the hitch point. Ballpark (as this was a 2000lb scale, hard to see the minute details), 210-215lbs or so. By Sherline's instructions, multiply that by .95 to get the actual weight at the hitch. So 200-205lbs with a battery but no propane. In case it helps anyone.

Now there is a chance that he's not weighing it at actual hitch HEIGHT, which I think is what you're supposed to do. Hard to tell in the pictures. So that may increase the weight some as well, I'd think. Anything lower than the pivot point of the load on the axle should slightly increase the weight (I think?). So it could be even a bit lower...so it sounds like the 174lb'ish isn't that far off from reality, considering that's without a battery and without dealer installed options like awnings and crap.

So while we're scrapping the idea of switching the 12v for 2x6v due to the extra weight, I think it should fit in our weight range JUST barely. We may need to put the propane tank secured somehow inside the trailer at the back, behind the axle, when driving. Presuming that's not illegal or stupid, providing it's secure and upright, and OFF, I'd think it'd be OK if a bit of a pain in the butt...that may actually lower the weight a bit.

For reference, our Jeep's ratings are 2000lb towing capacity and 225lb tongue weight officially.

Thanks for the help all!