2010 Texas Spring Opener - Tyler State Park Feb. 12

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by lyz, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lyz

lyz New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    League City, TX
    Hey gang! We just got home yesterday from the 2009 Texas Summer Rally and it's time to begin planning the next one (or two!)!

Buffy and I propose that we go ahead and schedule TWO rallies for 2010, that way we can all get together about every 6 months or so. How about Huntsville SP in February 2010 http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/huntsville/ and then return to Inks Lake in October 2010 http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/inks/

Let's talk about Huntsville first. There are GREAT bike trails, fishing, hiking, horse rentals....lots of stuff to do and it's beautiful.

The weekends are:
    Fri 2/5 - Sun 2/7
    Fri 2/12 - Sun 14
    Fri 2/19 - Sun 2/21
    Fri 2/26 - Sun 2/28

Inks Lake in October is also beautiful. It will still be warm enough to swim. There is also fishing and canoeing available. I suggest early October...

The weekends are:
    Fri 10/1 - Sun 10/3
    Fri 10/8 - Sun 10/10
    Fri 10/15 - Sun 10/17
    Fri 10/22 - Sun 10/24
    Fri 10/29 - Sun 10/31

Remember, these are for 2010....If you book it, you will come!

2. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Texas
    Re: Texas Rallies 2010

I'm off work today and tomorrow but I'll check the work schedule on Wed. and post back which weekend might work best for us for both dates. Although since it's so far out it will be a guessing game. lol

The only thing that has me concerned about Huntsville SP in Feb. is this notice from the SP website:

Now I realize that according to this message, all the upgrades should be completed by Dec. 09 but with the economy the way it is and the Texas SP system clamoring to find ways to cut costs, I'm just hoping that these planned upgrades don't get pushed back. We're only talking about a 60 day window between when the upgrades are scheduled to be done to when we are planning to be there.

I'm just wondering if maybe picking a different SP might be a "safer" choice. We'll know by Dec. if the upgrades are done or not, but if they are not completed and will possibly continue on into Feb., that will only leave 2 months for everyone to plan for time off and try to get reservations at a new SP.

Thoughts ?

A) That's a good point, maybe we should discuss/consider that

B) Shut up, you're just paranoid, if the SP says the upgrades will be done in Dec. then they will be

C) Just make the reservations and see what happens

3. Jeremygifford

Jeremygifford New Member

May 21, 2009
    TEXAS

would love to go to inks lake, my vac schedule @ work is planned in nov for the next year. If we can have the date done by then I'm in

4. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

Apr 13, 2008
    Garland, TX

I'm pretty sure we will be at both of these. Dana has already told me to get a marker and mark both months on the calendar. Will mark the actual days when that part is finalized. Being empty nesters any of the weekends pretty much work for us.

5. hannahsmom

hannahsmom New Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Texas

Feb 19 the weekend is best as its G-mans b-day weekend. Oct the 8th or so is best for us. Tx....if upgrades are in works, I agree with you...choke, choke,!!! Maybe another Park! Glen says Huntsville is about 450 for us and thats a long way in his health.

6. lyz

lyz New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    League City, TX

Okay, let's keep Inks Lake for October and think of other parks for Jan or Feb. As this isn't swimming weather we need parks with lots of trails for bikes and hiking. Do ya'll have any suggestions? I looked at Fairfield Lake and there aren't many trails there. It looks like a great place for fishing and for boaters and stuff, but I'm not sure we could keep the kids entertained. I'd like something with more trails....

Okay, suggestions.......

MODIFICATION...actually, I did find that Fairfield has 20 miles of biking trails but it looks like it's around the park boundaries....I'm not crazy about that...can be boring.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/activities/outdoor_recreation/bike/

7. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

Apr 13, 2008
    Garland, TX

We do a lot of camping at Lake Bob Sandlin SP in the winter. It never gets very crowded at that time of year. They have a trout pond that gets stocked in the winter, some pretty good hiking/biking trails and pretty large lighted fishing pier. The camp sites are seperated by lots of cedar and oak trees. Some sites you can't even see your neighbor from. It might be quite a ways off for some folks since it is in far east TX.

8. lyz

lyz New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    League City, TX

Colorado Bend SP looks interesting...anyone been there? Do they have cave tours in Jan/Feb?

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/colorado_bend/

9. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Texas

We were JUST looking at that park, it looks GREAT............................. except that there are no water/electric sites at all in that park. We could probably do without a water site (even though most SP's have water), but no electric might be an issue. We do have a PUP battery, but have never "dry camped" before and not sure if we're honestly ready to yet. lol

Ed,

Lake Bob Sandlin SP looks nice, it's a 450 mile one - way drive for us though [:O].
    But if everyone else decides on this one, I guess we'll just have one heck of a drive then. [:)C]

10. lyz

lyz New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    League City, TX
    Season Opener Rally Map and Details

Tyler State Park Feb. 12 - 14, 2010
    (PLEASE BOOK WATER/ELECTRIC ONLY, OR YOU WILL NOT BE WITH THE GROUP!)

Tyler State Park Information:
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/tyler/

Tyler State Park Campground Reservation:
    http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do?subTabIndex=0&contractCode=tx&parkCode=tyle

Attendees:
    ?????????: - lyz
    1-854145: - TX_F2
    ?????????: - TexasCampers
    1-854030: - ckevans23
    1-854059: - hannahsmom
    1-854268: - Lori3778
    1-85479: - Yar
    1-863515 - hannahsmom

11. lyz

lyz New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    League City, TX

does anyone know anything about Tyler State Park?

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/tyler/

looks like there's fishing and biking....

and look at this! "...Other facilities include a trailer rally area (30 water and electric sites with a group picnic pavilion)..."

Hey, I just called the park....It's easy to book the rally area. You simply book via ReserveAmerica and specify AREA 4. It's not site-specific so you'll be assigned your actual site upon arrival.

The FIRST WEEKEND of every month is used by a Dutch Oven Group (RON!), so if we camp here we will need to choose another weekend.

Additionally, the lake is stocked with Rainbow Trout in January so she said there will be good fishing in January and February.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/park_maps/pwd_mp_p4508_039d.pdf link to park map. The rally area IS away from the action...see circle/wagon wheel shape area (#4) at bottom of map.

Opinions? Now, talk amongst yourselves...

12. lyz

lyz New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    League City, TX

I just spent more time looking at Fairfield Lake SP.

Map: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/park_maps/pwd_mp_p4503_078h.pdf

Web page: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/fairfield_lake/

It is supposed to be excellent winter fishing. There are tournaments in Feb so we may want to choose January instead. Don't want it to be too crowded. And I suppose the biking could be okay. They have 20 miles of biking trails, but it's not mentioned on their website. That leads me to believe that it may not be that exciting, however perhaps it should still be considered....

13. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Texas

I found this on the front page of the website:

It has 15 miles of multi-use trails that can be used for hiking & mountain biking, oh and horsies if any one wants to pack one up in their PUP. [:D]

Also, there are tournaments from Nov - Feb:

14. wardog

wardog Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Texas

Tyler SP is a beautiful park, as I remember it. We have only been there twice when we tent camped but are hoping to go back this year in the pu. I have not been to Bob Sandlin but it is out that direction as well so the scenary will be the same. Tall pine trees.

15. lyz

lyz New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    League City, TX

Phil, you obviously are a better reader than I am.....I need to pay better attention.

So, sounds like Fairfield Lake SP and Tyler SP are good options.

• Any other state parks ya'll want to consider?
    • What month do ya'll prefer...Jan? Feb?
    • Which of these 2 options do you prefer?

16. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Texas

Just throwing this out there for thoughts / opinons.

I have two points I would like some input on from you guys:

1) For those that have school age kids:

Lyz
    TX_F2
    Mr.Whippie
    Lori3778
    Texas_Laws
    (others who have not posted yet who want to attend a Rally)

In Oct is TAKS testing, for us this year it is Oct 20 -23 and the TAKS practice tests are the week prior. I have no idea if it will also be the same dates in 2010 but IMO it's something we need to consider when choosing the Rally dates for Oct. 2010.

Is TAKS testing done in Oct all over TX or do the different ISD's give the test at different times of the year ? We can't pull our kids out of school durring the week they have the TAKS practice testing and obviously the week of actual TAKS tests.

2) We will go to whatever location is finally decided on regardless of distance. If it is going to take a long time to get there, we'll just take a few extra days off. For example, if we all decide on Tyler SP then instead of just going there for Fri - Sun we would go Wed- Sun or Thu - Mon since it's 400 miles away and about a 7 hr drive for us. It's way to far for us to go just for a Fri, Sat, & leave on Sun trip.

This brings me to my second point. For those with school age children, Jan & Feb don't really have any school holidays (at least our ISD doesn't). I'm a bad parent I know [}:)], but I personally don't have a problem taking my kids out of school to go camping which is what I would have to do unless I wanted to get to our Rally location late at night on Fri................which ain't gonna happen. lol

Some folks understandably might not want to pull their kids out of school on that Friday of the Rally though, and depending on location to them it may be hours away. This might deter some folks from attending if they have to travel for hours, get to the Rally late Fri night then have to pack up on Sun. morning. It might not seem "worth it" to them.

So what about maybe Spring Break in March for the Rally dates ?

Pro's

No need to pull kids out of school
    Folks who are teachers or work at schools are off from work
    ??

Con's

Parks may be booked up
    Large crowds
    ??

What say you ?????

17. wardog

wardog Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Texas

Both look good to me but kind of like the idea of warm water for better fishing at Fairfield. Has anyone camped there before and does anyone think there will be any problems with them having tournaments every weekend?

I will just have to convince the DH to camp in Feb when it is cold.

As for TAKS I have not been that concerned about them with my son. I don't usually pull my kids out of school for activities (maybe my 8 yr old but not the high schooler). I don't think badly of those that do either. My son's school exempts them from final exams if they have a certain grade average and 1-2 absents. This is very helpful for high school kids that would have 7 finals.

Most likely we would just arrive late on Friday and leave on Sunday if we can go at all. My son's on the high school soccer team and has soccer games on Friday nights [:(] So if it is close enough DD and I might come out early and DH and DS come later. If Fairfield is closer and better for some then that is good for me.

18. lyz

lyz New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    League City, TX

Spring Break sounds good. Now, if we camp for SB, then we need to make sure that we pick a spot with LOTS to do. I like to camp the entire week of Spring Break and in the past we have gone to Caprock Canyon and South Padre...places with enough stuff to fill a week.

If we are thinking about Spring Break then we may want to broaden our horizons a bit and choose more water-oriented sites and we will definately have to get on the ball and make sure everyone books ASAP.

Spring Break also provides us with longer travel time...it's not such a rush. So we could even consider Davis Mountains or something....

So...how is everyone feeling about Spring Break?
    Throw out some Spring Break rally options....

19. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Texas

I guess I should of thought about this earlier but do we all have Spring Break at the same time ? Could be an issue if some have it one week and others the following week or prior week.

Ours is March 15th through 19th 2010

20. lyz

lyz New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    League City, TX

Phil, we have the same dates...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.