2010 Texas Spring Opener - Tyler State Park Feb. 12

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by lyz, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Texas
    Re: Texas Spring Opener - Tyler State Park Feb. 12

With DS in scouting we have a couple of those.... [:D]

2. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Texas

Waiting on the rain to quit so I can start packing. Hope to hit the road by 2 p.m. tomorrow. Should put us getting there around six. My DH works for TxDot and he'll check road conditions before we head out. I don't think we'll have a problem though. Wish we were there will Phil & Buffy though making snowmen!! How will we know what site we are in when we get there tomorrow if the park office is closed? Will someone let us know? We're paid in full. Everyone be safe. Love the updates!!

3. lyz

lyz New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    League City, TX

Lori, just call Phil or Ed for your spot number if the office is closed. Do you have the list with the phone numbers? I know Buffy is in 45 and Ed is in 55.

4. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Texas

Well I am just about to call it a night, it is beautiful here, about 4 inches on the ground and still snowing. :)

Ed and Dana (yar) are also here, it was great seeing them again. Ed and I will be at the park office tomorrow at about 8 am to get everyone a site.

For those coming tomorrow, the local weatherman today said that almost all the snow here will be pretty much melted by lunchtime tomorrow. : (

But that also means the roads will be clear for you guys........are you listening Ike and Carmen ?? lol
    Janice, I think the weather/road conditions near you will be more of a concern then here.

Hope everyone has a safe trip, and take your time, don't rush, Ed and I will have a site for you don't worry.

Can't wait to see everyone again, and meet some new faces. Ed & Dana (yar) are in site 45 and we are in site 55. If anyone needs to get in touch with me, give me a call, don't post here. I only have cell phone internet to check here periodicaly and might not see your question for awhile.

See you all tomorrow !!!!

5. Camping4Life

Camping4Life New Member

Jul 9, 2008

Good morning,

Hey Phil sounds beautiful. Don't get much snow here in SA. Trying to convinence Ike to get on the road, but has some last minute jobs to do. If all goes well, hope to be on road by 1pm it's probably a 5/6 hr drive. I have to get him out of his shop or people just keep showing up and he doesn't turn anyone away. I'll call you guys later as we get close. Can hardly wait!!!!!

6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA

Have a great time this weekend everyone. We need pictures to get the rest of us through the winter.

7. Newbie Camper

Newbie Camper Lovin' Camping

Apr 20, 2009

Ditto! I would love to hear your stories and see the pics. Have fun!

8. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Texas

We're packing and will be leaving shortly. I don't have Phil or Ed's phone numbers. If somebody has it can they call me with it. My cell phone number is on the message that Lyz sent. If not, we'll find them when we get there. See you soon and save some snow for us. [LOL]

Lori

9. wardog

wardog Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Texas
    Re: Season Opener Post Rally Thread and Photos

Well the rally is now over and we had such a great time meeting everyone. It was a rough start trying to get started due to the 12" of snow in Fort Worth but I managed to get to Tyler by Friday night. Thanks to everyone for helping me get set up so quickly after arriving. Tyler SP is a beautiful CG but we didn't get to enjoy it as much this time since it was so cold and wet. We took our sled and my DD and her friend had the opportunity to sled some on the snow that was still on the ground. We did find the Tiger Creek preserve about 3 miles down the road. Wow how neat that was to see all of these beautiful tigers up close. At night we could hear the raccoons running around the campsites. With the snow there was some electricity outages. I am sure glad one of those sites was not mine. I can't say that Phil and Buffy were as lucky. My DD made a friend at the campout and will look forward to seeing her again. Thanks to everyone for being so nice.

10. lyz

lyz New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    League City, TX

We went and we conquered! Check out the comment/photo thread for all the scoop!

Campers, put your comments and link to pics here:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=29179.0

11. lyz

lyz New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    League City, TX

http://community.webshots.com/user/lyznjeff

Back to the real world...booo!!!!!

It was an awesome weekend! The kids were thrilled with the snow, and so was I! This weekend was an experience in perseverance, just ask Phil and Buffy! The snow disabled the potties and electricity. Showering felt like this...
    [​IMG]

The racoons sampled the groceries at each campsite, but left us enough for a great potluck. We even had Dutch oven lasagna, go Janice!

It was so great seeing Ed/Dana, Buffy/Phil and Lori/Steve! The icing on the inside-out cake (Dana!) was the arrival of MechanicIke! They couldn't stay away!!!!

We even have some new friends...John/Lynn, Bear/Brie, Janice and family.

We missed Ron/Cindy, and Kim/Glen and TexasLaws. Don't worry guys...we talked about ya'll nonstop!

Don't forget Palmetto in June and Inks Lake in October! Book now. You can always cancel later. Better safe than sorry!

Pics are here. I put the group pics at the front. http://community.webshots.com/user/lyznjeff

12. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Texas

When we finally got home last night at 10pm, the Trip Odometer read: 854 miles [:O] [:O]

It was a great time, the snow was AWESOME and as Lyz said, we made some new pop up friends (John & Lynn, Bear & Brie, Janice & the kids and her poor brother who had to rough it in his tiny camper [:P] )

Hopefully we didn't scare them off and they will be joining us at future get together's and rally's. :)

It was great to see Ike & Carmen and Ed & Dana again, we've missed them since they attended the first Rally at Inks Lake ! [8D]

Glad Steve, Lori & Trent made it out again as well, the kids had a great time playing with Trent again. Still trying to figure out why Jeff & Lyz brought their "furry rat dog" camping with them in that kind of weather, it looked just like a racoon and the poor thing was so cold outside it huddled underneath Jeff's chair next to the grill for warmth. [;)]

The Rally was also missing some of our other portal friends, hopefully we will see them at the next one. [A]

Kim & Glen are always in our prayers and were especially missed by all of us. [:(]

This trip was one that we surely won't forget:

Sub freezing temps, no electricity, closest working bathrooms over a mile away, lost set of camper keys, pup trailer hitch lock and pup roof latch padlock locked to go along with previously mentioned lost set of camper keys, receiver hitch lock on truck locked with previously mentioned lost set of camper keys (still working on how to get it off without damaging the hitch or having to pay a locksmith $$$ to do it [:(!])

Luckily we had a SUPER camp host who was very helpful and a 5th wheel owner who let us use his generator the entire time we were out there. Between the Mr. Heater http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=24 (and enough of those green 1lb propane bottles to surely violate some kind of explosives law) to keep us warm , our pup's propane tank to run the fridge and cooking stove, and the pup's battery to run the lights, we would have been ok, but without that generator we could not have also ran the electric heater which made it nice and toasty in the pup.

This is what we woke up to Friday morning:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The rest of our pics can be seen here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v739/regalado96/Tyler%20State%20Park%20Rally%20%20Feb%20%202010/

Hope to see you all again soon, we will be going camping again next month at Palmetto State Park on March 19th - 21st if anyone wants to join us. :)

13. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Texas

We made it home late this afternoon. What an awesome rally! We didn't have near the trouble Phil and Buffy did, but we were very thankful for two propane tanks on our pup when the first tank ran out Sunday morning. Then our electric heater quit this morning. Guess the little motor died after running nearly nonstop for 3 days. My hairdryer bit the dust. We we couldn't unthaw the water faucet this morning. (I should have an interesting hair do in the morning) We definitely need a new deep cycle battery. It died completely this trip. Which is why I can't thank Phil enough for taking care of everyone. Making sure all of us arriving Friday had sites with power while they made the best of their lack of. Also, thank you Phil for checking into the group dinning hall that we were able to rent for the pot luck on Saturday. You and Buffy have great kids and I hope they slept all the way home after the nearly 2 mile (up hill/downhill) hike they took with us. I know I was worn out! Thanks to Ed/Dana for having us over around their campfire on Sunday night for a mini pot luck. We loved sharing the laughs and visiting with you two, Bear/Brie and Ike/Carmen. We found out it's a small world. Bear lived many years in our corner of Texas!! In fact, the very same town! Poor Carmen. She probably has an ear ache today or knows more about F-18s, F-15s, tanks and army weaponry that she cares to know. Trent talked her ear off last night. Oh, and Lyz's poor "furry (ring-tailed) rat dog" came to visit us while we were there too. He was so upset at being left behind that he brought his buddies back for another night of theivery. This, after raiding the coolers the night before. I felt sorry for Ike's poor dog. The bandits even stole every one is his dog biscuits! [:O] Love your pics Lyz! Thank you for taking Trent along on the hike Saturday afternoon. We got back from the pot luck and it was lights out for him!!

What a great time we had meeting all of you this weekend. Probably will be a while before we can make another rally. With Boy Scouts now taking up a great deal of our summer and school in the fall, we may not be able to make a long trip (for us) out to Inks lake. But, you'll be in our (jealous) [;)] thoughts and prayers for a great and safe time. Until the next rally we can make, we'll see you all here on the portal. [:D]

14. wardog

wardog Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Texas

[LOL] [LOL] Ya'll crack me up. My brother was really roughing it alright. I will let him know ya'll were thinking about him. He was getting frustrated with his satellite dish not being able to get all his channels.

Also that cute little dog that looked like a coon all around the campground. hehehe

15. jnjsawyer

jnjsawyer New Member

Jul 8, 2008

I gotta say I thought about you guys all weekend - knowing the weather we had here in Shreveport was what ya'll were getting in Tyler. It never occured to me ya'll'd be without water. I had a feeling you didn't have electric. I can't wait to see more pics. The Sawyers will be at the next one!

16. wardog

wardog Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Texas

Most of us had electric it was only Buffy and Phil that lucked out and didn't have electricity [;)]. There was also water at all the sited but the bathrooms were not available in our area. I think everyone got through the weekend ok though. I was not so bad. I really do look forward to the next campout.

17. Camping4Life

Camping4Life New Member

Jul 9, 2008

Thanks to all who rushed to help Ike set up, especially Ed & Dana without her heater, I would have been much colder. You know Lyz, with all that cold weather, Ike had to have some warm stuff in him ALL DAY LONG! wish we could have done some hiking, fishing. Well maybe next time. Trent was a great source of entertainment [LOL] Wow what an imagination! Bear/Brie hope to see you at our next rally for sure. Until next time have a great spring!

18. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

Apr 13, 2008
    Garland, TX

We had a blast at the rally. It was really great to see folks we had met from our first rally and meet some new folks. In the beginning I thought I was going to be there solo. Dana hates the cold and when it is mixed with snow that makes it even worse. When we left Dallas there was 2" on the ground but got better the further out we got. I didn't tell her that it was following us.

Had a great time at the potluck and like usual at more really good food than I should have. We had a smaller potluck on Sunday night with the folks that were still there to leave on Monday. More good chow and good company. The racoons visited us all night while we were sitting around the fire.

We got back in yesterday about 3:30 and just unloaded everything into to garage to deal with later, I'm dealing with it today. Dana had to work last night so she went straight to bed. The first thing I did was take a nice hot shower in a heated room... that felt so good.

We are already looking forward to the next rally. Don't know for sure if we can make both of them or not but sure to plan on trying. I'm sure we will do some camping with Bear and Brie at Bob Sandlin SP since we are pretty close to there and they can almost walk there.

We didn't near as many pics as some other folks but I finally got them uploaded. It looks like most of them are from the Friday morning snow covering. I know that folks from up North that view these won't be to impressed but us Texas folks don't usuall very much of it.

http://community.webshots.com/album/576755654xxBfjW

19. wardog

wardog Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Texas

Yar those are great pics. I wish I could have been there that morning.

20. lyz

lyz New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    League City, TX

Hey gang! I'm gonna hijack this thread for a minute...

Glen has entered Kim into a contest in which the winner receives a spa makeover. We all know how Kim could use a little me-time/pick me up. I've noted the link below to the blurb I posted on the forum. Please read, register and vote for our Kim!

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=33408.msg205307;topicseen#new

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.