2013 - Texas Fall Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by WendyLouWho, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WendyLouWho

WendyLouWho Wendy & Marlin

Aug 21, 2013
    Hello Texas Puppers!

Here is all the info!

Camping Rally November 8-10th.
    Leisure Resort
    1 River Road Fentress, TX 78622

http://www.leisureresort.net
    On Facebook as Leisure Resort RV Park

On the banks of the San Marcos River, the resort is located:
    13 miles from San Marcos, including Aquarena Springs, Wonder World, historical downtown district
    17 miles from San Marcos Outlet Mall shopping center
    12 miles from Lockhart, "Barbecue Capital of the World"
    30 miles from New Braunfels and Gruene area
    45 miles from both San Antonio and Austin

I have sites 43- 63 reserved by the river for us. So far sites 50 and 51 are taken, rest are available as far as I know (check it out on google maps if you want to pick a specific spot). Ask for Sheila to make reservations, she is very helpful about finding you the right spot, btw. Be sure you mention Texas Puppers when you make reservations so we get the discount at checkout.

Friday
    7:00 ish: Meet and greet with your neighbors, cookout at the pavilion for those arriving that night

Saturday
    Daytime: Join your neighbors for lunch and shopping in nearby San Marcos, Gruene, or New Braunfels
    Golf at nearby courses…Enjoy wine tasting at nearby winery
    Tube or raft the river…Or hang out again and enjoy the pool, BB or Volley ball courts and Putt
    Putt range

Fall Festival at the pavilion that day, shop or even sell your wares, booths are free

5:00 pm: Open House Trailer Tour for those wishing to show off their PUPS or campers (we are curious
    folks) but this is not a requirement!

6:30 pm: Casserole Pot Luck at the pavilion. Bring a casserole or side dish to share with
    your neighbors, or bring something sweet! BYOBeverage of
    choice/musical instrument, etc.

8:00 p.m. S’mores around the campfire (please everyone bring something to contribute [;)]

Sunday

8:00ish: Coffee around the campfire. Say farewell until next time.

Children's events TBA as soon as I know a count. I will plan something according to age range, so far 4 yo, 11 yo and 17 yo.

If we wind up with a small group, we might want to talk about what people bring so we all aren't eating beans and meat (though not a bad thing, I would prefer an assortment and something green, lol)

Hope to see you there. Safe journeys, everyone!

Wendy

2. WendyLouWho

Aug 21, 2013
    Re: Rally...all info in one thread, schedule included

Okay, learning here people. I am apparently in the process of becoming a wagon master (?) to help us automate more efficiently.

Please PM me once you reserve. If I become a wagon master, this thread will close and Steve will start a new one. All the info is above for your convenience, but we need 6 others besides me to be considered an official rally.

Just fyi [;)]

3. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011

Actually, you only need 5 others, plus you! [;)]

[:D]

4. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012

We just made reservations. So, I guess now you need 4 others plus us? [:D]

5. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas

Obviously wendy you already know I've made my reservations. I may be going stag. DW doesnt seem to thrilled with a 4 hour drive lol.

Welcome aboard Indy!

6. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Apr 16, 2011

We're definitely in. I'll make the reservation tomorrow.

We plan to arrive pretty early Friday afternoon and are thinking of making a big pot of chicken étouffée for Saturday night.

Anything we can bring to help contribute let us know.

Bart and Julie and Tasha the camping loving choco lab

7. skeetercampsintexas

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas

We will probably be there around check in time. Looking forward to the open house! That should be fun! We can help with the cookout friday night for those arriving late. Also we always have breakfast so if its not a large group we can all do coffee and breskfast sat. mornimg as well.

8. WendyLouWho

Aug 21, 2013

Sounds good! Thanks, rotnmom...I know you pm'ed m the info I just had that # in my head. So six total and now we have 3 confirmed and shfd739 reserving tomorrow so up to 4 including me! Only 2 to go [;)]

Come on Texas Puppers...let's get together!

And chicken etouffee? YUM!

4 hours is a long way, but hey! Maybe you can still convince her. I will most likely be solo too (hunting widow, lol).

Skeeter, we might need help with the cookout...I have lots of venison, bratwurst and such to contribute if we have a grill master, but I will probably make a Chili or something of that nature as well as a salad of some sort, though now I am thinking jambalaya with shfd739's etouffee on the menu [;)] Hope folks like spicy. Hmmm. They have electric at the pavilion, so last time I made beans and then just heated them up at the pavilion.

I am getting excited!

9. skeetercampsintexas

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas

DW is on board now! I can bring my DO and cook up a chicken bog for the cookout, or we can do some burned meat. Ive got an RVque grill on the camper so we can grill there. Especially if we are only looking at 4-6 pups. Don't mind being the grill master, I'll definitely bring some shine for all to try. Lady flavors included of course.

We have lots of venison and wild hog that I process myself, so as the list of confirmed anttendees gets finalized we will figure out who is going to bring what so no one is over packing or under-fed.

10. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012

We can help with grilling and all too. I was thinking maybe a DO roast with veggies at some point that weekend? IDK- we'll all get together and coordinate. If y'all camp like us, UNDER-fed is never an issue! :D If everyone brings enough for their family and then we do a potluck, we should have plenty of food & variety!

11. WendyLouWho

Aug 21, 2013

Definitely not! We are always hauling food home, lol. With three kids and two teen boys, you have to be prepared.

Skeeter...my dh process his deer also [;)] Haven't worked out way up to our wild pigs, but we have a great processor in Poth where we shoot most of the pig and he's solo so very inexpensive. Yum. Wild pig.

Now I'm hungry. [LOL]

12. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012

All this talk of dead animals.... my husband and son will love this rally. I'm a tremendously picky eater and I get squeamish thinking about death and killing. I cannot bring myself to eat venison or wild hog. I have to eat meat from the grocery store where I don't associate it with dead animals. Yes, I know that's crazy but I can't get over it. I'm just a city girl.

13. skeetercampsintexas

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas

Indy, no worries, my wife is the same way. Typically the only thing she will eat that I have taken is fish. So you won't be the odd ball here. We will have some store bought stuff as well. For me, doing everything myself from shot to the table, means money saved at the grocery store.

Everyone is different, that what makes the world go round!

Starting to look like we might be the only 3 at this rally [LOL]

14. WendyLouWho

Aug 21, 2013

My bratwurst is from the store (and other sausage, though we make our own with venison, all others I will bring are from the store). I am just so glad you made this happen for y'all Katie!

So far 4 have paid and registered so two more to go to be "official". Either way a gathering of 4 is just fine with me [;)] Cozy and good to plan our spring rally.

These threads have been read by so many. I just don't think there are a lot of Texas rallies happening?

15. skeetercampsintexas

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas

Im perfrectly fine with a small group! Gets to be a little more personal that way. I just figured with all those who expressed interest how many have actually made reservations. If nothing else this small rally will get a bit of experience for the spring rally! Someone take my wife to a winery!

Shes one of those "I'm a mom" moms, and never wants to do much for herself, too busy trying to look after everyone else. I'll gladly watch some kiddos if needed, or at least stick em in front of the Tv for a bit [LOL] just kidding! She has such a hard time getting these trips together and gets a bit stressed out in doing so, so I would like her to get some girl time if that's okay with yall? Maybe us guys can kick back with the kids and you ladies can go hit the town for a bit?

16. WendyLouWho

Aug 21, 2013

I will gladly take your wife to the winery [;)] And it's close to the pottery shop I adore (buck pottery in Gruene).

And I am one of those "mom, mom's" too. Heck, I am a girl scout leader...I am a mom of too many!

And Skeeter...No TV allowed during camping. Isn't that obverse to the point?!? [;)]

17. skeetercampsintexas

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas

Believe it or not I dont believe in having a tv while camping either. Ive actually only had a tv in our pup for one trip! But its nice tlat the end of the day before bed and between showers to kick back and watch the ol' tube for a few minites for the kiddo. Any other time I kick everyone out! I want my kids to grow up with as few electronic devices as humanly possible and actually be a normal kid instead of glued to a video game! Dont tell DW I asked for yall to take her out! [LOL] [;)]

18. WendyLouWho

Aug 21, 2013

Okay, I promise not to tell the wifey. But, we don't even own a TV at home...or a microwave. I guess we are the token hippies of the bunch, lol.

Shhh...I do let our kids take the laptop out sometimes so dh and I can chat and chill [;)] When we tent camp we take two or three so we can spread out. But we are all huddled around the fire in the morn, of course, waiting for breakfast, lol.

19. skeetercampsintexas

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas

Our pup has a microwave. It came with the package tho. If it were up to me I would live in a tiny house in the middle of nowhere with dead silence in the morning, no creature comforts and learning to appreciate what you have with each passing day.

20. WendyLouWho

Aug 21, 2013

Amen. Off the grid, solo in nature (thought I would prefer a compost toilet and at least a bucket shower and some solar [;)] Really though, I am not that needy (though dh might disagree, lol).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.