2013 Vermont Fall Foliage Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by mercman, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Jan 7, 2007
    Western MA
    2013 Vermont Fall Foliage Rally

September 27th-29th, 2013
    Winhall Brook ACOE Campground - North Loop
    South Londonderry, Vermont
    Rally is being held in both loops, electric is available in South Loop
    Reservations:​

[​IMG]

Make Your Reservation Now To See Vermont In The Fall!

Come join us at one of the nicest campgrounds in Vermont during the best time of the year to be camping in New England. ​

Although you cannot make reservations untill March 2013, pencil in this weekend on next years camping calendar as we hold our second rally at this beautiful spot.
    Sites will go quick as this is peak foliage time in Vermont.​

Beautiful Vermont Foliage
    [​IMG]
    Large Private Sites
    [​IMG]
    Beautiful Views
    [​IMG]
    Great Kayaking and Fishing
    [​IMG]

2. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Beautiful post mercman! Makes me want to drive East! [TV]

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

We wouldn't miss this weekend.... [:D]
    No rain dances Chris. [:O]

4. Need2Travel

Need2Travel Rhode Island

Sep 15, 2008
    Rhode Island
    The dates look like they should work. I've put this down as a calendar hopeful for 2013

5. dschlosser

dschlosser Active Member

Jan 29, 2008
    East Patchogue, NY
    We should be in for this one....

6. mercman

Jan 7, 2007
    Western MA
    Just thought I would bump this up for any members new or old that might have missed this thread. Our second Fall Foliage Rally will take place in the beautiful Green Mts. of Vermont at Winhall Brook ACOE Campground September 27th - 29th.
    Come see Vermont and all it has to offer during the best time to camp in New England!

Reservations can be made six months from the day of your reservation in March.

Hope to see you there!

7. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    I may try and make this one. Need to kick it around with the boss, as its about a 560 mile trip, so we would make it at least a 4 or 5 day deal and tie it together with our annual Oct trip at home. I know she would love to go to Vermont, but I'll need to sell her on the drive.

8. Old_Geezer

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    More than likely a totally stupid question after looking at the area on google earth but............. Hows the fishin?

9. mercman

Jan 7, 2007
    Western MA
    The Cg is located right where Winhall Brook and the West River join. Fishing in the river would depend on the amount of rain we have during the summer. I have seen it both shallow and rocky and also flowing at a good clip. The nearby Gale pond (pictured in photo above) is about 5 minutes away, very peaceful. I did not fish while there but looks like the perfect spot for it. There is also a larger lake about 15-20 minutes away.
    Lou's wife (stormtrooper) was fishing at Gale Pond at the last rally, I'm sure he'll chime in if she caught anything.

Hope to see you there, It's a beautiful area and a really nice CG.

10. Storm Trooper

John, DW caught some Bass and pan fish in Gale Pond. She did not catch any trout.
    Really gorgeous area. We'll be back there in fall 2013.....

11. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

Jun 19, 2008
    Woodbridge, VA
    Count us in.

12. mercman

Jan 7, 2007
    Western MA
    Yeah! What she we talk about till March [:D] [;)]

Maybe a Chili cook-off for part of the potluck???
    I think a group photo on top of the dam would be fun, It's only 220 feet above the water on a big walkway.

13. dschlosser

dschlosser Active Member

Jan 29, 2008
    East Patchogue, NY
    Chris,

How about something a bit different. What about a pulled pork cook off?

14. mercman

Jan 7, 2007
    Western MA
    Excellent idea! Let's do it right and have a full blown BBQ smoke out.
    Pulled pork - Slow cooked rubbed smoked beef brisket and the fixins', Buttermilk Cole Slaw, Jalepeno Cheddar corn bread. Maybe even some home brewed beer [CB] to wash it down!

Whats the opinion of others?

15. Storm Trooper

A real BBQ cook off over wood or coal might be very interesting as well as tasty.... [;)]

16. Old_Geezer

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    I really hope I can pull this one off somehow. It may involve a state park jump to get there along with some vacation day burning. But now everyone is talking campsite BBQ, smoke outs, pulled pork, briskets? I didn't even knew that was big up in New England? I'll be oiling up the vise grips and sharpening my rebar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a garnish
    [​IMG]

17. Old_Geezer

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    Re: 2013 Vermont Fall Foliage Rally-Getting there from here

Looking for suggestions all.

Does anyone know what its like towing I 88 from Binghamton NY over to Schenectady/Albany? Then it looks like 7 to Bennington out of Albany and up to Manchester. Then across 30/11 to 100 around Londonderry? Anyone know what those routes are like?

It looks like I would need to leave early on a Wed/Thu and go to Worlds end SP in NE PA (Around 250 miles) and stay a night there, then make the remaining 300 miles or so the next day.

Any recommended NY Parks / Nice PG's between Vermont and Binghamton NY that anyone knows of for the return trip?

Thanks
    John

18. mercman

Jan 7, 2007
    Western MA
    I can't suggest a place to stay on the way but can help you with directions from Albany on to VT.
    Take 88 to 90 east to 87 north to Rt. 7 east. Continue into Vermont. Take 279 (Bennington Connector) to Rt 7 North to Manchester. Take Rt 30/11. Continue on 30 when it splits with Rt 11 to Rt. 100. There is a kayak outfitter and a gas station at the intersection with Rt 100. Turn there and the CG is on the right in about 5 minutes or less.

19. Old_Geezer

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    Ok, were are in. I talked her into it which did not require very much talking. Being it is a 560+ mile one way drive, we will more than likely be doing a minimum of 4 nights in Vermont. I just need to decide if its going to be before the 27th or stay after the 29th. I'll need to put in my vacation days Jan 1st. There is also a possibility of the son and DIL tagging along which will be 4 adults, 1 dog, and 1/10 of a dog.

20. mercman

Jan 7, 2007
    Western MA
    Great to hear, see you then.

Only 3.5 months to go for reservations...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.