2014 Quad-State Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by ChocoChock01, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Mar 7, 2012
    the plans are starting!!

here is the map link:
    http://goo.gl/maps/R5Iak

Anyone interested?

2. ChocoChock01

Mar 7, 2012
    Steve: Would you come out for this one?

3. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    Re: 201? Quad-State Rally

That'd be fun..... [:)O]

4. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Apr 20, 2010

Definitely interested. Mesa Verde National Park would be the most logical spot. As far as timing, you would need to work around well attended Arizona and Colorado rallies.

5. ChocoChock01

Mar 7, 2012
    How about time of year?

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM

I can't see the map on my phone, but Mesa Verde area sounds good. Timing around the established Rallies is a good point. Will keep an eye on the thread.

7. ChocoChock01

Mar 7, 2012
    Let's start thinking about Who, Where and When....we know the Why!

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA

Well, I was planning on coming out to the Colorado Rally in 2014. The link you posted look like it would be at 4 Corners.

My sister is heading East for San Diego in late spring in her Class C RV (exact time is still unknown). I would love to drive across country and meet up with her somewhere near Colorado. And then we could drive back together.

Four Corners area would be an interest area to do a rally. Maybe you and all the Western Wagon Masters should talk and see if we could get a Mega Rally going.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington

The Four Corners Monument is on Navajo Nation land and there's not much out there as you can see from THIS aerial view. The nearest campground would be quite a distance away. I wonder if the Navajos would be willing to let a group boondock on some nearby land.

10. Camp Addict

Camp Addict Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Las Vegas

I like the idea of a mega rally. Thanks Brian for throwing this idea out there.

11. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA

I think Four Corners was just used as a center point. Perhaps some suggestions for a location would in order. How about:

chaco canyon
    That valley in Colorado that is a center for UFO sightings
    The AZ Rim
    Or any number of national forests

You could have the rally cover two weekends.

Just some thoughts

12. Rc_maniac

Rc_maniac Member

Sep 15, 2012

I only have ground vehicles any more. I haven't had planes in years.

There's not much out there by the monument. Those covered areas surrounding the monument are used by the indians as sort of a swap meet marketplace. Camping in the area would be fun though. being that it's indian territory, maybe we could position all of out trailers in a circle like the covered wagons did.

13. ChocoChock01

Mar 7, 2012
    My suggestion would be to do a 2014 Trial Run Rally and plan for the Mega-Rally 2015.

Since this is in the Central Forum Region, it could draw from ALL of the surrounding states and further.

Select a date After the CO Rally (end of July 2014) Aug-Sep chose Mesa Verde NP or equiv. with the intention of 2015 planning. Keep it small and manageable and promote it for 2015.

Who would be interested taking this route?

14. ChocoChock01

Mar 7, 2012

That might not be PC! [;)]

15. Rc_maniac

Rc_maniac Member

Sep 15, 2012

I nominate Brian (Chocochock) to be the Wagonmaster for the Quad-State Rally.

16. Rc_maniac

Rc_maniac Member

Sep 15, 2012

Meh, It should be fine since I said it and I'm an indian (Kickapoo).

17. ChocoChock01

Mar 7, 2012
    If it is used for Swap Meets, then it is not sacred, it is zoned for commercial AND the Navajos might have or be open to camping on their land.

18. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA

Wouldn't the temps be very hot in that area in August?. And no alcohol? What is a person supposed to drink? I'll be dehydrated for sure.

19. ChocoChock01

Mar 7, 2012
    thus the reason for the discussion!! ALL valid!!

20. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington

I think it would be cool if the Navajos would let us boondock in the desert near the Four Corners Monument. However, as you can see from the aerial photo I posted, there is nothing out there. This would be boondocking on flat, open desert with no protection from wind or sun. I suspect that may not be desirable for many campers.

It seems to me that the nearest place with the facilities to accommodate us would be Mesa Verde NP. They have a big campground (Morefield Village) with stores and a dump station. Some of their campsites have hookups. Another advantage of Mesa Verde is that it could easily stand on its own as a rally site because there is so much to do there. It's a fascinating place. A variation on the theme is to use one of the many private RV Parks near the entrance of Mesa Verde although that would be undesirable to me and people who think the same way I do about camping.

I think the trip from the CG in Mesa Verde to Four Corners would be about 60 miles each way. That sounds like a long way but other than possible boondocking places I don't think there are any closer public CGs. Hovenweep National Monument in Utah has a CG but it's pretty much for tents. Only a few sites would accommodate trailers. We could boondock on BLM land near Blanding, UT but that's just as far (or farther) from Four Corners as Mesa Verde. I think more people would attend if Mesa Verde is the location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.