2015 - Texas Puppers Fall Rall

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by Txbum, Aug 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I owe about a million thanks to TxBum and my friend Dave for helping out in a terrible situation. It was pouring rain, and we were all standing in it getting soaked trying to troubleshoot. Skeeter, I called Toppers in the middle of the ordeal (that's the dealer where we bought it) and suddenly they had no idea about any warranty on the lift system and told me it "may" be covered under the extended warranty I purchased. I literally stood there in tears feeling so helpless and so terrible about everyone standing in the rain trying to solve my problems, and of course missing my husband. It was good to see the inside of our camper again, but I came to the realization that I just can't do this. It's not fair to be a burden on everyone else, and even if I can tow it and open it myself, I can't trouble shoot problems on the road. I'm going to have to part with it, sadly, and I'm trying to make peace with that decision. Our son is really unhappy with me about it, but I'm hoping he will come around.

Skeeter - a couple questions I thought I knew the answer to, but I know that you do. No one believed me but -- there isn't a separate crank for the manual lift, is there? And also - didn't you tell us that the top should go up without the battery if we're plugged in at the site? I could've sworn we had a battery issue at camp ... maybe at Leisure Resort ... and you and Mat discussed this.

2. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    Indy, I'm SO sorry you had lift system problems. [:(] I was starting to have issues (physically) with the whole setup process, but when I had an electric lift installed and it failed three times, I also threw in the towel. But don't stop camping because of a mechanical issue! I picked up a little 22 foot TT for a song and the only setup is leveling and dropping the stabs with a drill. Otherwise, it's normal setup stuff..put the rug out, set up my chairs and a table, etc, etc, etc. I was home a week from my Sewer Rally and today I pulled into another campground for a week of doing NOTHING!! I'll catch up on lost sleep, do some much needed paperwork, and just relax. Tonight I made thin 'shredded' beef and new potatoes. YUMMY! I absolutely LOVE my new Fold n Go grill!! Got it for a steal too. Even better!

Anyway, again, I'm sorry for the issues and especially all the rain y'all had to go through. I hope no one there or at home had to experience the flooding issues. The news photos are horrible. I hope all are safe.

Take care!

[:D]

3. jam0911

jam0911 Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Indy, I have a Rockwood with the electric lift system. It does have a manual lift. Right where the winch cover is, there is a little round cap that pops off. That gives you access to the manual lift. I can't remember what size socket it is, but it's much easier to use a drill instead of cranking it by hand. Also on my camper, if the battery is drained and has very little juice, it'll blow the fuse on the inside of the camper when trying to lift the roof for some reason. I then have to lift the roof up enough to crawl in and change the fuse then let the battery charge for a few minutes and I'm finally able to lift the roof all the way... So what I have figured out is if my battery is not fully charged, I'll connect the jumper cables from the battery to my TV to lift the roof.

4. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    I dy yes there is a manual crank. We have ours, I needed it once when I first bought the camper and was still in the learning curve, I quickly reverted to using a drill with a short extension and a 7/16 socket. The battery has an auto resetting fuse in line to the power lift. If the battery is really drained it will constantly throw the fuse, then reset. Having it plugged into shore power will HELP add a little juice to the battery to get the roof up/down but the lift is still running off the battery, if it's a very drained battery (as I'm thinking in your case) then shore power won't be much help. And yes, your lift is under warranty for LIFE by forest river.

Don't be discouraged katie. I promise that in the years which your husband had learned all the things he knows there have been many moments of extreme frustration as well. It happens to us all. I'm sure you must have felt very frustrated. It's just part of the learning curve. I wouldn't rush into deciding to part ways just yet. Give it a shot or two. If nothing ever breaks and nothing ever goes wrong how will you learn to fix it? People standing in the rain to get your pup up and down should show you how much we all care about you and yours within our group, not make you feel like a burden. Don't forget about the same thing happening at rally #1 and helping someone get a camper open that had issues as well, and that was a man (sorry tminusretire [:D])

Come on out next time, at least give yourself the chance to try it in better weather and see how it goes. A rush of feelings, to include frustrated ones. I'd hate to see you regret getting rid of the one thing that you both really enjoyed, something that will bring back all those happy memories rather than sad ones. Come out with us just one more time, maybe tow it there for a little while, back it in or grab a pull through site and come enjoy a weekend out with people who love you guys!

5. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    So for the manual crank - it is a different tool than what is used to set the stabs? I could've sworn it was the same. The old Coleman had two, but I thought this camper had just one. If something is missing, I have never seen it. Hmmm.

I don't know... I will give it some time but it's a lot to deal with alone. And camping alone isn't much fun anyway- camping together was what made it enjoyable. I can't explain - hopefully none of you will ever have to understand. I've thought about selling the camper and using that money to go with my son on a big trip to see some the parks out west that Mat loved so much and wanted us to see-- redwoods, sequoias, Grand Canyon, etc. Still unsure.

6. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

Mar 25, 2013
    Katie , hang in there. I will get you a socket, extension, and a cordless drill for a backup... [:D] no charge ...Txbum

7. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    It is a different tool indy. As I understand it you know where the bypass is located, but it's a VERY SLOW PROCESS doing it with the supplied tool. Wil it work? Of course. But that's why Amish made furniture is so expensive [LOL]

You don't have to camp alone. Take the kiddo, come to the rallies, hit up friends, extended family, girls night out for all your whackadoo friends. Tons of excuses to spend a night in the camper!

8. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    No need to do that, TxBum, you've done MORE than enough. Mat was an electrician and I've kept 90% of his tools. I'm pretty sure he has what we need - I'd just have to know to dig it up and bring it. I'm guessing it lives in a case labeled Dewalt - just need to go through some of that stuff.

9. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Hey - found the Rockwood instructional video online... it says if manual override is needed, insert the supplied jack handle. I knew it! If another tool exists, it was not included with our purchase. It's just the one tool.

10. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

Mar 25, 2013
    Good! It's getting better already. [:D]

11. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    Looks like we didn't come away unscathed either. The "tent support clasp" for the shepherd's pole over the dinette broke during our trip. Tried to find it locally, but in all of the Houston Metro Area I can't seem to find it. Tried calling my dealer about it. They came back with a quote on the bunk end shepherd's pole...full thing. Yeah...we love our dealer...they really have some bright people over there... Thankfully Beckley's is always helpful, although not anywhere near local. They sell the part on the link above for $5.95 plus shipping.

As for the roof lift issue, I checked through the manual on our lift system to see what our manufacturer states. They say a battery has to be installed, charged, and working for the lift system to work. They also state that the initial kick of the motor is around 60 Amps, which must be very short not to blow the inline 30 Amp thermal breaker in the battery box. I know mine's a whiffletree system and your's is a winch, and they're from different brands, but sometimes it's reassuring to know that it would be the same between the various brands. Thinking back about it the jumper cables may have been too light. What probably would have worked better is to unmount a similar battery from another popup and use it temporarily to lift/lower yours.

So in the end, I'd start with replacing the battery and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then start down the road of the breakers, fuses, switches, etc. It could take a little longer to get it all working again, but it would be the least costly.

12. lonestarcamper

lonestarcamper A smile is worth a 1000 words!

Jul 25, 2014
    Indy, when I needed my crank handle, I found it under the sofa back support. Now I keep it where I can get to it if I need it. I miss my husband still and it has been more than 2 years since he passed, but every time I go camping it brings back such sweet memories of our camping years together. We started in 1980, then had about 16 years in our lakehouse, then back to camping after kids got grown. It's bittersweet sometimes, but I wouldn't trade any of it!

Good luck!
    Robin

13. carey3782

carey3782 New Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Thanks again for all you and your wife did TxBum. I'm sure sad we missed it and everyone had to leave early, but I appreciate it nonetheless. Looking forward to another rally one of these days.

14. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    You're so right lonestar - we have lots of really great memories and I am very thankful for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.