2015 - Texas Sweetheart Rally

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by Ryanincc, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Texas is a BIG state. Being from Corpus Christi, and having little ones, I was unable to attend the last Texas Rally and the next one due to distance. We just can't do much more than 3 hours from home. I was thinking of starting a rally that would be somewhere south of Austin, in the Hill Country, or south of Houston, maybe even on the Gulf Coast. Really just about anywhere within 3 hours of Corpus. Are there any Texas Puppers willing to tentatively go to a rally within those areas?

Im open to just about any place but my first thought would be Lake Texana at Brackenridge outside of Edna that used to be a State Park. Waterfront sites from $25 a night water and electric and $30 for full hookups. Has playgrounds, trails etc. Has some modern conveniences but still has the feel, space and price of a State Park.

Post up if interested [emoji3]

My phone did this using Tapatalk

2. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

Mar 25, 2013
    Ryanincc, sounds good, what time frame are you looking at? Richard

3. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    We haven't been to Lake Texana yet, but drove through once (when it was a state park) and it seemed nice. It's on my to-do list, so I'd be willing to do it if our schedule fits. I'm tied up through mid-November right now.

4. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Id like to make a 3 day weekend of it for us but my wife and kid are tied to the school calendar. Looking at the calendar opens up the first and second weekend of spring break which are the 13th (also the other Pupper rally right?) and 20th of march for us, and also the weekends of Jan 2nd and 16th, and weekend of april 3 rd which I think is good friday, and also may 22nd.

The Park only accepts reservations within 90 days of arrival. Ive spoke with them before and they were really nice. It wouldnt surprise me if they could keep us together. There's also two parks there, Breckenridge, and Lake Texana. I think the B side has more big rig fulltimers with golf carts allowed and LT doesnt allow them but im not sure. Ill have to call and see, or maybe you guys could look at the two maps on the website and see if you have a preference.

http://www.brackenridgepark.com/p/accommodations/217

5. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I would prefer Texana just because I've seen it and remember it being nice & I've heard lots of good referrals also. Brackenridge would be sight unseen for me, and if it's more geared towards big rigs, then it is probably less desirable for me.

As for the above dates, January would be best for me. Either weekend, but the 16th (MLK Day) we might find more people available than New Year's. But, just my thoughts. I just can't do Spring Break since I'm booked for the other rally & the following weekend would be tough too.

6. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    16th of January would be good. I doubt it would be too cold to camp. Richard, is that doable for you? Anyone else interested?

7. Merlin14

Merlin14 Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I'm interested.
    I'm watching the rally at McCowan, and now this one too.
    If you do Jan 2, it may be too close, but I'd drive down even if just for the day.
    Dates you have picked seem pretty workable.
    I'll be watching these threads.

8. Txbum

Mar 25, 2013
    Ryanincc, the 16th Jan would be good...When is SuperBowl weekend?

9. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I think superbowl is Feb 1.

10. Txbum

Mar 25, 2013
    Indy, you are correct....Feb 1, 2015.....don't want to miss the game [:D]

11. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Awesome Merlin and Txbum!

I forgot about the Superbowl. Now I need to check when th he College Championship game is!

12. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    Heck take a TV and antenna and make it a Super Bowl rally!

13. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    College Champ game is the 12th. Whew. But it would be fun to watch either game at a rally.

14. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Our weekends in Jan. are already taken with family stuff so we're out.

15. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    That sucks, Barton. Wouldn't you have had all the family you could handle from Thanksgiving and Christmas [emoji3] I know I will haha

16. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I just spoke to the park. We can reserve specific sites except for 38-55 which are for monthly guests, otherwise the cg will be wide open starting October 20th when we can first make reservations due to the 90 day policy. Since it seems many people that want to attend, often come in the last month or even last minute, we can reserve as many sites as we wish, but would have to put down $25 or $30 (full hookups) for each one. If we cancel the ones we don't use at least 72 hours before arrival we get refunded minus $5 each. Something to consider there. No group discount available. We just need to look at the cg map link I posted above and decide if we want full hookups or not and whether we want waterfront or tucked in the trees. My preference is to be near a restroom and playground and I'll recheck the map as well. I do not expect much from it, but I'm going to put an invite out on the pop up owners group page on Facebook and forward whoever is interested to here.

17. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    After looking at the map, I like the full hookups sites from 120-126 and w/elec sites 116-119. Close to the playground and a comfort station with toilets and showers. Not all comfort stations on the map have showers. If we use this area, I have dibs on 122!

18. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I don't think we need to be all in a line, personally. We usually walk/drive on over to one site for get-togethers anyway. I think we should aim for at least 5 by October 20 and choose an area, and any others that trickle in can choose from what's open.

If Ryan is in 122, I'd like to be in 116 on the end so our dogs have a bit more space away from people. They freak out about strangers cutting through to the bathrooms and such, so the further they are away from everybody the better. We also won't be using sewer hookups.

19. lonestarcamper

lonestarcamper A smile is worth a 1000 words!

Jul 25, 2014
    Here's my 2 cents worth:

I go to Texana all the time. In fact, I will there on the 31st. Definitely recommend the old State Park side. More trees, more space between campsites, quieter and more family friendly. There is also an exPark Ranger, Cindy, who now works for Brackenridge, that does natures programs 1-2 times a day on Saturday. She also has an awesome Nature Center. SItes 97-101 and 116-125 are close to showers and playground. Those with kids will want 99, 102, 103, 117, 119 since they are all at playground (literally).

I have been up there several times on Martin Luther holiday, and for some odd reason, the weather has always been good. Must be the coastal air. You are welcome in both parks if you are there camping. Edna is @7 miles and Ganado @ 10 miles.

I would definitely go the 16th for 3 nights since I am tied to school also. Count me in and I will reserve the first opportunity. BTW, lots of hiking trails, wildlife, and some biking too. Good walking and places to fish as well. All around a great place!

20. lonestarcamper

lonestarcamper A smile is worth a 1000 words!

Jul 25, 2014
    My preference is 118. Dibbers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.