2017 Colorado Rally - Vallecito CG (Durango)

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by kitphantom, Nov 30, 2016.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I did a spot check on campsite availability, since the Rally is a little over 4 months away, July 10-16. I only checked on the weekend of July14-16, since people sometimes camp for only part of it. (I figured the weekend was most likely to be reserved the most at this point.)

It looks like there are a dozen and half or so sites available, plus the FCFS ones. There are quite a few of those, over two dozen. Here's the link again for the reservation site: https://www.recreation.gov/camping/vallecito-campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=79060

NM_Alien likes this.
  2. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    NM_Alien likes this.
  3. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    About three months to the Rally, so I'm giving this a bump.

4. Firehawk068

Firehawk068 Member

Mar 22, 2016
    I was originally going to try and make it to this campground during the rally, but the big boss-man at my place of employment decided to change our schedule and take away our 4-tens.
    Now I am having to shuffle some weekends around, and cancel some things I had planned. I am now short 4 days of vacation time for all my summer plans. :(
    I was counting on those Fridays off.................
    Sorry I am going to have to miss it.

5. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm sorry you have to miss it, it was fun visiting with you when you dropped in at last year's Rally. Funny how work can interfere with camping.

6. bearman512

bearman512 Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Andrea,
    Renata and I will be there on Friday the 14 and leave on Sunday we just need to reserve a site. There are still quite a few left.

7. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm glad you can come to Vallecito. Unlike many campgrounds in other areas of Colorado, this one seems to be filling fairly slowly. (Maybe because it's more than 2 hours from Denver?)

8. bearman512

bearman512 Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    We are booked for site 19.

9. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    With a couple of months to go, it looks like there are still about a dozen sites available ("about" because it will depend on the days you want to attend). This campground also has FCFS sites.

10. bearman512

bearman512 Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    So give me a shout out who will be coming. [{:)]

11. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    So far NM_Alien, you, and Courtenay & I are the only ones i know about. I'd love to see more folks. [If not, maybe we need to talk about whether the Colorado rally should continue.]

12. bearman512

bearman512 Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Sadly, Andrea, I really think we need to start a NM rally as it seems most attendees are from NM. We where at Vallecito yesterday and It will be tight for our new trailer. I think we should all go boondocking off of 376 in the Jemez. I know an area that all three of us could camp together.

13. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    For next year?
    I think I missed the new trailer! CG as whole too tight or the site you reserved?

14. bearman512

bearman512 Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Well after our trip to Vallecito last week we will have a hard time squeezing our new rig in any of the sites and will not be making it this year. Sorry :(

15. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Sorry it won't work. I hope we can find some place and time to meet up.
    At this point, we have planned our week of vacation around Vallecito for that time frame, so we'll be there, no matter how small the Rally becomes.
    At the moment, we're camping at North Rim of Grand Canyon, so I don't really have internet for the week. We took a day trip to Navajo Bridge and Page, so lunch at MacD's let me have a brief check in.

16. NM_Alien

NM_Alien New Mexico: Not really new and not really Mexico..

May 28, 2015
    Albuquerque, NM
    I agree with Barrett's suggestion that we look at doing a NM rally next year since this and last year's rallies didn't really get anyone else interested from Colorado. I've never been to Taos, Angel Fire, Red River area. I'd be up for the boondocking suggestion as well. My only request is we try to find places close to fishable water. If we are in NM then I don't have to buy a non-resident fishing license.

17. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Sounds good to me. We don't mind the idea of boondocking as long as it doesn't involve difficult access. The Retro does unpaved roads well, but has issues with too much slope - hence the scrape marks on the driveway apron.
    Who volunteers to organize it?

18. bearman512

bearman512 Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Hey all I have no problem organizing for next year and I am with you NM_Alien I hate to purchase another states fishing licence. I will start another thread soon looking for input on where and what type of fishing trout walleye etc and will also consider others wanting to get some sort of hike in as well as kid activities.

NM_Alien and kitphantom like this.