2018 Arizona Spring Rally

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by Hoomi, Sep 6, 2017.

Preferred Venue

1. Alamo Lake State Park

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Kartchner Caverns State Park

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. One of the Colorado River Parks (need early decision to get reservations)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Somewhere else (add suggestion)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Jul 20, 2012
    Summer is almost over, so it's not too early to start discussing the next Arizona Spring Rally. I've looked at the weather trends at some of the State Parks, and while I thought Lyman Lake is a great location, in early April the average overnight temperatures tend to the low 30s, with daytime highs in the low 70s. Alamo Lake runs a bit warmer, so would offer some of the same recreational opportunities, without as much chance for freezing overnight.

Kartchner Caverns is one of our favorite spring camping venues, with the namesake caverns being incredible to tour. The park has some hiking trails, and is an easy day-trip to historic Tombstone.

There are several Colorado River parks with camping, but we would need to make a decision on venue and make reservations early. The river parks tend to be very popular during the spring months, and short-notice reservations are rarely available.

Of course, other suggestions are certainly welcome.

https://azstateparks.com/find-a-park/

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We camped at Kartchner last Thanksgiving and enjoyed it a lot. I already have plans to go to a Retro Rally in April, at Dead Horse Ranch SP, so may not get to the PUP Rally - depends on timing. Easter is April 1, BTW.

3. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Jul 20, 2012
    I'm thinking of shooting for the weekend of April 6th, making it the first full weekend in April, though it's still far enough out that the date is open for discussion.

By the way, I went through your neck of the woods en route to and from Nebraska for the eclipse. On the way out, I think I hit Albuquerque somewhere around 9 to 10 at night, and on the way back, around 3:30 in the morning.

kitphantom likes this.
  4. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    I am a possible, but better end of March if anyone else likes as that is spring break for 2 weeks.

5. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Surprise, AZ
    Following thread, our pup is undergoing a (slow) rebuild but we hope to have it done by spring, at least usable. We may just come up for a long weekend where ever it is.

Thanks for getting this going =)

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Apr 6 would work for me, or a March date. Selfishly, Karchner is easier for me to get to than Alamo Lake, and very easy for me to combine it with a visit to see friends in Tucson.
    Jenkamus, Karchner and Alamo have cabins to rent, if your rebuild isn't done and you don't have an alternative. I also don't know how far ahead those fill up.

7. JoshMacdonald

JoshMacdonald New Member

Jul 23, 2014
    I'm going to follow this thread and would love to make my first rally. We live in Phoenix and are looking for more chances to get out in our pop up. Location is less important since its all within a day's drive. And I don't know my kids' spring break, so I'm open on dates too.

Haybale likes this.
  8. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Jul 2, 2016
    We might join. Depends on DH's work schedule and the weather. Kartchner Campground is nice and clean. Unfortunately I was there during 100° degree temperatures. It wasn't pleasant during the day.

Happy Camping...

9. shuang2

shuang2 Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I am following too, day, location...

Haybale likes this.
  10. Az Brittany Guy

Az Brittany Guy New Member

Apr 11, 2017
    ARIZONA
    If you ever consider a mid / late summer event out here, consider the White Mountains. Great fishing, hiking and unparalleled beauty. 40° Mornings and high 60°s Lin the afternoon. Much prettier than Flagstaff IMO.

Haybale likes this.