2018 Hershey RV Show and Camping

Discussion in 'RV Shows' started by MrsSquid, Jul 27, 2018.

1. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    I was looking at campgrounds near the Hershey RV show and thinking about reservations. Yikes! I'm almost too late. We'd better nail down our dates soon. Is it a faux pas to stay in a hotel for an RV show? o_O

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Wow never thought that it would be so full that late in the year. Have you checked out Gifford Pinchot state park? It appears to only be a bit over half hour away south of Hersey. A couple years ago I stayed at a private campground in Gettysburg. It took me a bit over an hour but a very pleasant drive. Well up until you get to Hersey and your stuck in huge traffic jam. If I go up this year, I may be doing the private campground again. I've been wanting to drag my mom with me, but she is very picky about weather.

MrsSquid likes this.
  3. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    We stayed at Pinchot the last time we went. Traffic was a bit rough. Pinchot is around 50 minutes away. We were hoping to get a bit closer this time. After a long day at the show, it would be nice to have a shorter drive.

Elizabethtown KOA does have a couple of smaller sites still available that would fit a popup. They look to be about half the driving time of Pinchot. It's the classic time vs. money.

Pinchot has sites available. So, if we don't use hotel points, we'll probably do that. First, we need to iron out our schedules. Who knows, maybe we'll skip that show and attend something closer.

4. jmkay1

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah, I can see where traffic will be a problem from there. I know the traffic down the main road to Hersey was downright insane. work is my biggest problem right now, preventing me from being able to make reservations until closer to the event.

MrsSquid likes this.
  5. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Active Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    No traffic there early last week, it was underwater.

6. jmkay1

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    That's true, I forgot the area was flooded out. The show isn't until Sept so I'm sure it will dry out by then, but damage from the flood waters may be a problem.

MrsSquid likes this.
  7. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    Yeah, a couple of the websites had an alert about being closed for a couple of more days. I heard Hershey Park and Knoebels closed for a bit too.

8. mattlreese

mattlreese Member

Sep 6, 2017
    There is a thousand trails in Lancaster which I have stayed at. I thought it was decent and I doubt it was full. I do not have a membership, I just paid to stay for a weekend.

9. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    And we're not going to Hershey after all. Schedules, schedules...

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We are going to the show, but we are not camping! We decided to stay in a hotel in York for two nights. According to Google maps it's about 45 minutes away. Staying in a hotel in Hershey is just insane $$$$$. Off on Friday so we can possibly leave early and hit the show before going to the hotel for the night. Then get up early Saturday morning and go back to the show for the day. I figure one day is not enough! The we will head home on Sunday. At least the hotel has free breakfast buffet!!!