2018 N. Florida/SE GA Rally, December 14-16, Ft. Clinch S.P.

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by SHFL, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We have reservations at St. Andrews next June. Hope it's back up and running by then. I'm sure there are lots of state parks that have openings still for New Years. But you sound like us ... beach campers. Much more difficult to find a spot on the coast parks.

2. Scott and April Still

Scott and April Still New Member

Aug 21, 2018
    We're looking forward to this too! We managed to score a campsite in the river loop now, so here's our new info:
    Member: SPUTnik (Scott and April Still)
    Site#: 30
    Adults: 2
    Children: 0
    Pets: 0
    Arrival Date: 12/14/18
    Potluck dish: Dutch Oven Beef Stew

tzmartin and Orchid like this.
  3. Scott and April Still

Aug 21, 2018
    Does anyone need a campsite at Fort Clinch for the rally weekend? We still have site 15 in the beach loop for Dec 14-17, 2018 (3 nights) but we're about to cancel it if no one here needs it.

4. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Florida
    Hi everyone!
    I haven't fallen off the face of the earth — work have just been very busy.

Here is the latest on the rally attendees; please let me know if I’ve overlooked anyone/anything.
    Member, Site#, Arrival date, Pot Luck
    Orchid, #25, 12/13, Pepperoni Rolls
    SPUTnik, #30, 12/14, Dutch Oven Beef Stew
    JAXPOPPER, #36, 12/14
    JunieB, #37, 12/14, Dutch Oven Green Bean Casserole
    tzmartin, #49, 12/12, Black Bean Dip with Tortillas
    SHFL, #56, 12/14, Hamburger Sliders
    SHFL-guest, #57, 12/14, TBD

I will post weekly updates, and I look forward to meeting all of you!

Orchid and tzmartin like this.
  5. JAXPOPPER

JAXPOPPER Jax. FL Fleetwood Tucson

Jun 19, 2016
    Hi Everyone. I unfortunately will not be able to attend the rally and had to cancel my reservation. I have an out of town business meeting that I cant get out of. I was looking forward to meeting everyone and hope I can in the near future.

6. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    We'll miss you. Hope you're business benefits from your sacrifice!

7. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    I'm sorry JAXpopper can't make it. Now I don't know who my neighbor will be, boohoo.
    Things are shaping up, mostly. I got the rear bunkend to pull out yesterday-- hooray. That got stuck back in March/April. Trailer's aired out. A little canvas cleaning needed.
    Working on Ye Olde Fantastic fan installation-issues that sat unattended for the summer, and accompanying roof leakage when untarped (thread in Ceiling/ roof repairs).

If we could have just TWO days in a row without rain forecast it would help a lot. Then I could re-start that routine of go to hardware store-- start repairs-- go to hardware store again-- continue repairing-- go to hardware store and hopefully finish it up in time. lol.

8. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Florida
    Hi Everyone!
    I haven't fallen off the face of the earth — I’ve just been extremely busy.
    Good news. If you would like to join us, send me a message — we have a site available.

9. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    I'm excited about next week! We did have to change our check in date. We're arriving on Thursday instead of Wednesday. I don't think that affects anyone, though. We will have to leave Saturday after lunch for Christmas with my in-laws in Savannah. Long story short, we are experiencing the chaos of moving the last week of the year. I'm an United Methodist pastor and was suddenly appointed to a new congregation up in Clayton, GA. I'm replacing a pastor who gave up his credentials due to some financial fraud. I'm the one who gets to go calm the storm... Anyway, I"m really looking forward to getting away for a few days at Fort Clinch!

10. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    Check with your insurance company. Our insurance company USAA has a provision for a seldom used car that greatly reduces the rate. The biggest drawback is having to call them AT LEAST 24 hours before you can drive the vehicle. A big plus is you keep your tag while it's parked and don't have to worry about some @$#%% #$%^ *#@ calling and reporting an unregistered vehicle.

11. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    The DW and I looked at and toyed with buying "A Small Motel". If memory serves me it had six rooms. Clayton is a nice location if you love the mountains as we do.

tzmartin likes this.
  12. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    I went with stated value insurance for now. A historic or collector policy, and apparently mine was a model that qualified. Many will not, they are rather restrictive and not just any "old vehicle" will do. I got a full year, cost about same as just half a year w/ State Farm. With SF to equalize the costs I would have to "storage status" for 6 months of the year. I've done that before,and it's OK. I was able to call same day and they would reinstate. Most auto insurance policies allow you to suspend all but the comprehensive when not being driven for 30 days or more- -but you CANNOT drive it when on storage since no liability coverage, at all.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 7:02 PM
  13. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Florida
    Last call on a site for the rally next weekend.
    I will cancel the reservation for the extra site tomorrow (Sunday).

14. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    Really wish I could go! Even if I had the leak around the AC fixed I just have waaaay too much to do to get away for a weekend this time of year. Got to finish a bedroom remodel so Mom has a place to crash, she'll be spending Christmas with us this year. It will be her second Christmas since Dad died and the holidays are really hard for her.

15. Scott and April Still

Aug 21, 2018
  16. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    To bad Leigh and I will miss it!

17. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    i will be in Florida this weekend, however not in the same area, staying at FT Myers, Sanibel Island, plus a visit to the Naples area. wish i was closer , i would at least stop bye and say Hi, not really seeing it happen thou. Daughter lives in Orlando, probally get there at least a day or two. but dont see coming any further north. maybe next time!!!

18. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Florida
    Are you getting excited? We are!

Some of you may know that our drive hub extension tube broke back in June 2017. Well, this weekend we finally replaced it. All that is left is to attach the back panel (it's already in place) and we are good to go.

BUT, when we planned this rally, we assumed that this school year's calendar would be like last year, and that Friday would be an early release day... no such luck. We will be leaving Tallahassee at ~3:00 and rolling into the park at about 7:00. (I always seem to be setting up in the dark). And to top it off, it might be raining...

HOWEVER, one rainy day is no reason to cancel a trip — the rest of the weekend should be dry. The long and the short of it is, my apologies — I will not be there to welcome you when you arrive. But we are all sure to meet on Saturday!

Member, Site#, Arrival date, Pot Luck (12noon Saturday 12/15/18)

Orchid, #25, 12/13, Pepperoni Rolls
    SPUTnik, #30, 12/14, Dutch Oven Beef Stew
    JunieB, #37, 12/14, Dutch Oven Green Bean Casserole
    tzmartin, #49, 12/12, Black Bean Dip with Tortillas
    SHFL, #56, 12/14, Hamburger Sliders

See you at the campground!

tzmartin likes this.
  19. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    I appreciate all the enthusiasm. Please be prepared for possibly severe thunderstorms Friday evening/night, though, 2-4 inches of heavy rain is possible. I JUST finished re-installing my Fantastic Fan. Still not sure if my camper is water-tight yet; possibly a center seam issue going on as well. See http://www.popupportal.com/threads/...or-fan-replacement.121927/page-2#post-1249077

A work meeting until 2Pm friday puts me driving up in the middle of the stuff, oh joy. Considering options: (1) Could tow popup into site, tarp it, sleep in tow vehicle (it's plenty big enough) Friday with the dogs then popup Sat AM. OR (2) depending how bad it looks, drive up Saturday morning with pre-cooked GB casserole. I'm not a morning person, so not overly thrilled about option 2.
    Well it is Florida, so expected the unexpected, as weather goes.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018 at 3:08 PM
  20. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Florida
    I have been keeping my eyes on the weather. We cannot leave until 3pm, and the thought of setting up in the dark AND in the rain is not pleasant (I can do one OR the other, but I don't think I can do BOTH with 2 first time campers as our guests...). We might not roll in until 8am Satruday morning.

I will post an update on our travel plans later today. WE ARE COMING — it’s just a matter of when.

BillyMc likes this.