2018 New Camper Canvas Coming Apart

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Rockies Bill, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

Jan 24, 2009
    IDAHO
    i have never seen this before. But late yesterday we looked at a brand new 2018 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD. The vinyl was delaminating from the canvas all over. It also had many cracks, splits in it. What could have possibly caused this? The camper had many other problems also. This is from a dealer—not private sale. I purchased a new Rockwood back in 2011 and it was in great shape. Has the build quality gone down that much? Anyone have any idea how a “new” canvas could have this happen? I also looked at it’s sister SE model at another dealer—new 2018 Flaggstaff 176SE and the canvas was perfect. Can someone please explain to me how a new canvas can fall apart like this?

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Sounds like a manufacturers defect to me.

3. davekkk

davekkk Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Maybe left up 24/7 and sun damage? Weird.

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I'm thinking someone used the wrong cleaner on it.

terry1419, soft 17, megcabra and 2 others like this.
  5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    or it was used during freezing weather which damaged the vinyl.

6. Rockies Bill

Jan 24, 2009
    IDAHO
    Working on a deal right now on a 2018 Viking Epic 1906. Has everything but AC and I don’t need that. It does have a fantastic fan though. MSRP is $11,784. They are working with me and going down in my direction. Is this a good quality camper? What would be your best offer?
    TIA
    Bill

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  7. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    2019s are hitting the lot so keep that in mind. I’d be thinking under 10k for sure. I’m pleased with my ‘08 Epic 2108ST. Build quality seemed fine but an inexperience first owner didn’t do it any favors.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Sounds like there was some sort of problem at the Dealer, as stated left set up 24 /7 with sun, rain wind etc. can have a devastating effect on the whole unit. Most RV's have problems coming from the factory but most are not that bad and the dealer can /will fix it under warranty for a limited time anyway. QA at the factory has gone down hill quite a bit and now the main idea is build, ship and when sold sell let the dealer sort out problems.

9. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    Make sure the set up is good and listen to the cranking up... check the door, steps and floors to see if they are solid. slide the bunkhead several times to see how smooth it slides in and out. check the stabilizers. tongue wheel. and check all lights. make sure it is all in working order before you tow it out.

10. Rockies Bill

Jan 24, 2009
    IDAHO
    Thank you for your input. Camper is in excellent condition. Camper MSRP $11,784.00. They eventually accepted $8900.00. Sound like a good deal? Haven’t sealed the deal yet. Not likely they will go down any further. They will also give $40.00 to use in their store. What the heck would I buy?

11. Rockies Bill

Jan 24, 2009
    IDAHO
    Having researched NADA on this model & with the options it has the low retail price of $9,830.00. So I am gonna buy it.

12. Rockies Bill

Jan 24, 2009
    IDAHO
    I feel I need to let you first time buyers know this information. That Rockwood 1640LTD camper was located at Camping World here in Idaho. I had never seen a new camper in this bad of shape. Older campers I have not seen this bad. Besides the canvas completely destroyed, the camper frame was also twisted, jacks were bent, door shot, corners were badly joined. This is not the same camper they were showing on their website—I got them to admit it. Also, they knew we were coming at a set time and it was supposed to be clean, ready to show/sell. Even though it was in this bad of shape, they were still trying to sell it to us. If you are a first time buyer, please educate yourself on what to look for on both used and new. Or take someone with you who does. My motto is don’t trust any rv salesman or finance manger.
    I finally told them I would not buy that camper at any price. He still persued me saying they will replace the canvas. My wife stepped in and said NO! Don’t tell me women don’t have power, because that was the end of it and then started the apology—too late. I have since found out that they are going to replace the canvas and sell it just as is. Do not buy this camper or you will regret it. They now have my phone number and want to sell me something else. I need to block them on my phone. There is a little more to this story, but I don’t want to repeat their lies. For first time buyers, please educate yourself before you go looking. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

13. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    Good job on not buying it.