2018 PA Spring Rally

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by phager76, Oct 1, 2017.

What dates should we hold the Rally?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2017.
  1. 4/6 - 4/8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 4/13 - 4/15 (Friday the 13th Muhahaha)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 4/27 - 4/29

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. 5/4 - 5/6 (Cinco De Mayo, Ole!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. We are new to this forum, purchased a 2011 Starcraft 1224 after research and soul searching. We are avid primitive tent campers, but we both have health limitations which make camping difficult. We are hopeful that a pop-up will allow up to get back out there and enjoy the outdoors with less physical effort. We have made a reservation for F10 at Racoon Creek State Park and are excited to meet everyone...and no doubt ask a million questions....other than some driveway camping-to try and figure out what we bought, this will be our first time out, yay!

phager76 likes this.
  2. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Monongahela, PA
    Welcome to Pop Up Portal, Wade and Ricki! And welcome to the rally! I'll get you added to the spreadsheet, How many of you are coming, and do you have any pets coming with you?

3. We are planning on bringing our 8 year old grandson Liam, and our 3 year old hound dog Obi.

phager76 likes this.
  4. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    welcome to the family, from Pittsburgh , too bad i wont be there to meet you, but Pat and company will make you feel right at home. hopefully we can run into each other at another time. consider joining us in the fall at the pymatuning rally in jamestown pa hope to see you there...John

Wade&Ricki likes this.
  5. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Monongahela, PA
    The spreadsheet has been updated and is available for viewing here. Since we're only about 5 weeks from the rally, now would be a great time to think about what you're planning to make for the Pot Luck and let me know so that I can add it to the spreadsheet.

Since we do have some new people to the rally, I'll give a brief overview of how things usually go. On Friday evening, we'll do a meet and greet around the campfire at our site. This will probably happen around 6 (Depending on how late @Salandrew is running :D ). On Saturday evening, around 5:30-6:00 we hold the Potluck and pig out on some really good food and then have a drawing for door prizes. Then on Sunday all the kids get mopey because the won't get to see thier new friends until the next rally!

Speaking of kids, Liam will have a number of kids around his age to visit with. My daughter, Rhiannon is 8 as well, and Salandrew have a daughter around his age, as does Crosbys2008. There's also a playground pretty much across the street from F10 which is pretty handy.

Wade&Ricki likes this.
  6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Wade & Ricki, Welcome to the rally and enjoy your new camper. We look forward to meeting you.

Wade&Ricki likes this.
  7. crosbys2008

crosbys2008 Active Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Erie, PA
    Welcome to the group wade and ricki, you've picked a good rally to join for the first one. We're a small group but we have a great time together!!

Pat, you shouldn't pick on salandrew... just because they like to set up in the dark, give us laughter as they get all setup and then join us at the fire when everyone is about to leave. Oh, now that I say it, we do have to tease them a bit. :)

Can't wait to start camping, it can't get here soon enough. I'm so tired of the snow and all the stuff it comes with. I'll be pulling my camper out of storage next week though so I believe that'll mean that spring is here right. Can't have snow falling on my camper.

Wade&Ricki, phager76 and vagov like this.
  8. Salandrew

Salandrew Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Bolivar, PA
    Ok guys!!! Stop picking on us!!! In our defense we usually have the longest drive to these campsites....

Samantha is 9 and Adam is 12.... they are looking forward to our first camp out for the year. From the rate this spring is going, we will definitely need to make sure the propane is full!!!!

I don’t know what to make... my crockpot died last year, but I now have an instant pot! Love it!!! Between that and the dutchoven I’m sure I will think of something.

Pat, don’t forget to add food allergies for this of us who love to eat. Canola oil is bad for me.

crosbys2008 likes this.
  9. crosbys2008

Sep 2, 2013
    Erie, PA
    Good point, Sarah is allergic to nuts.

I picked up my camper today. Inspection and fridge maintenance is getting done so maybe we can get trip in before we go to Mexico.

FB_IMG_1521768650225.jpg

Salandrew likes this.
  10. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Nice pic Rob, I will be picking up my camper in 2 weeks, once this last snowfall melts .

11. crosbys2008

Sep 2, 2013
    Erie, PA
    I would have rather waited to, but looking at the calendar I didn't have many choices available to me. Between work and our trip.

12. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    We are thinking of getting the camper out of the garage the end of first week of april. I have a couple of days of work and Joyce wants to redo the curtains.

crosbys2008 likes this.
  13. crosbys2008

Sep 2, 2013
    Erie, PA
    I have some plans for mine, hopefully I'll pick it up from Boyers on Monday. I can't wait to start getting it prepped.

Pat, I'm narrowing down my choices for the potluck, I'll let you know soon what it'll be.

14. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Monongahela, PA
    Sorry for being MIA for the last few days, we had a bit of internet issues here. I've updated the spreadsheet with food allergy information. If anyone else has any food allergies, let me know and I'll update the sheet!

I'm hoping to get the camper opened up sometime this week myself. This time of year always freaks me out, worrying if any mice got in, was I thorough enough with my winterizing, So far there hasn't been any problems, but that fear is always lurking in the back of my mind.

I'm so ready for camping season to start, there might not have been a lot of snow here, but this winter just seemed brutal and far to long this year for some reason. Only a few more weeks to go!

15. We're taking a scenic drive to raccoon creek state park to check out the campground ahead of time, since the suns shining but it's too cold to do much. I was looking for the spreadsheet and can't figure out where to access it. Thought I'd see what everyone is bringing before I figure out what we're bringing.

16. Novarich

Novarich Member

Dec 8, 2014
    I believe if you go back to comment #29 and tap on Google sheet it is a link to the page.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  17. Well, gee, it's a good thing we looked at the site. Hubby thinks F10 is too small. We're going to call tomorrow and switch to F29 or F27. Not trying to challenge ourselves first time out, haha.

18. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Monongahela, PA
    Yeah, F-10 is a bit tight maneuvering, but not too bad. We've stayed in that site the last two times we went there and really love all the room in the site once you get set up and easy access to the playground. It looks like the 1224 is pretty similar in size to my Utah, and I've never had any issues squeezing it in there, I just put the trailer on the longer side of the driveway and park the TV next to it, although that does put the hookups on the wrong side of the trailer.

In the end, though, go with what you guys are most comfortable tackling, this is supposed to be fun after all!

As a side note, the super long range forecast for that weekend is looking pretty nice, a little rain on Thursday and Friday, and sunny on the weekend proper, highs in the mid 60s and lows in the 40s. Of course, we all know how predictable weather in SW PA is in spring, so I'd say we have equal chances of snow or tornadoes as well!

19. crosbys2008

Sep 2, 2013
    Erie, PA
    It's more predictable when you camp. :)

Just out of curiosity, how's site F30?

Pat, put us down for chili for the pot luck dinner.

Rob