2018 Quad-State Rally

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by ChocoChock01, Feb 2, 2017.

1. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Mar 7, 2012
    2018 brings the Quad-State back to NM, completing the first 4 yr. cycle.

Looking for location suggestions.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    What parameters are we looking to use?
    Bluewater SP was chosen last time because it's not too far south of I-40, and towards the western end of the state. AFAIK, there isn't anything with similar characteristics. We haven't been to City of Rock SP, near Silver City, in a couple of decades. It's sort of "you can't get there from here easily" from most routes. (Best guess is that it's 5-6 hours from ABQ.) Navajo Lake SP, on the Colorado border might be very popular in summer months for a weekend. Again, not someplace we've camped.
    There seem to be a couple of (USFS) group campsites that might accommodate pups. However, at least in the past, we had to be online when reservations opened for the one we used for church outings (Holy Ghost CG, Santa Fe NF), 11-12 months in advance.

3. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Mar 7, 2012
    Dick Berry had suggested Navajo Lake, and I think the parameters should be about those who want to go.
    The original parameters (centered around 4 Corners) really encompass UT, AZ, NM & CO AND rotate.

4. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
  5. desertlady

desertlady Member

Sep 3, 2011
    How about Red Rock Park in Church Rock (near Gallup), NM? Only $20.00 per night with water and electric. On the reservation with beautiful hiking trails. Many campsites available on first come first serve. Bathhouse is available also.

shuang2 likes this.
  6. NM_Alien

NM_Alien New Mexico: Not really new and not really Mexico..

May 28, 2015
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'd be interested if something gets set up but this thread looks pretty old.

7. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I missed seeing this until now. The interest in rallies seems to have almost disappeared in our region. It’d be great to find a time/place for some sort of meet up in the area.

8. NM_Alien

May 28, 2015
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hmm. Is there a reduced-planning-effort that we can just try to set something up for ourselves and invite others to join us if they want? I'm still interested in doing annual meet ups in places I've never camped before. I miss the good old days of the St. Stephen's annual family trip to Holy Ghost. Those were such great memories.

9. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    There seem to be some doing a "Meet-up" type of non-event - announce the time and place, and those who can make it, do. Since the AZ Spring Rally got side-tracked for a while, I finally did that for Kartchner SP - so far, no one else is going, so I'll probably be cancelling my reservations by mid-month. [For many places, we don't mind camping whether or not anyone else shows up, which is what we did for the last couple of Colorado Rallies. For April, though, I'll be visiting in Tucson the previous week, and will want to get home unless others are interested in the meet-up.]
    Do you have any ideas for time and place? I think Holy Ghost is open again, but it and other group sites aren't set up for pups and other campers, and reservations are an issue, since group sites tend to book a year ahead. I think bearman512 had some ideas for boondocking in the San Pedro Parks region. The Gila would be another area, but it's not as easily reached, and i'm not familiar with the roads and campgrounds.
    Unless we get more moisture, NM may be looking at forest closures until monsoon season. (That was one reason we moved the Holy Ghost trip from June to August at some point, when it was cancelled because the forest closed for a while.)

10. NM_Alien

May 28, 2015
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hopewell Lake is a good place if people are fine with boondocking. Lake. Fishing. Forest Roads. Hiking. We currently have vacation plans for the first half of May and then July 13 - 17. Hopewell is probably good through October but I don't know when the campground is officially open.

11. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hopewell Lake near Tierra Amarilla? Looks like it's reservable, with 30 or so sites, dry camping. Walk-in (FCFS) May 12-18 and Sept 10-24, Peak season in-between. I'm not sure if this is one that closes after the fall dates, these days most seem to do so.
    My/our schedule is already interesting, but has some gaps. So far, we have "our" trips, Courtenay has two work trips to Europe, and I have a couple solo or SOTF trips. We have a late April trip, Memorial Day week at North Rim GCNP - that should be fun, Courtenay arrives home from a week in Stockholm the night before we leave. There's a gap before I go to a SOTF event July 16-20, while Courtenay is in France. End of summer 8/29-9/9. [South Rim CCNP for a week in October.]

12. NM_Alien

May 28, 2015
    Albuquerque, NM
    That's the one. They have potable water and pit toilets but nothing at each site.

13. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Fine set up for us. Haven’t camped in that area

14. NM_Alien

May 28, 2015
    Albuquerque, NM
    How close to the actual 4 Corners should we try to make this for a "Quad State Rally"? The Bell Point Campground at Conchas Lake is really nice and I was thinking about planning something for April. They have water and electric at many sites and it's very scenic. Opportunities abound for boating, fishing, relaxing.

15. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm not sure, the three that we went to were in Jacob Lake, AZ; Bluewater Lake SP, NM; and Mesa Verde, CO. (We never could figure out a location in UT that was handy, reservable, and likely to cooperate for temp.)
    I haven't been to Conchas Lake, but it seems like it has easy access from I-40.
    Since this is really just a meet-up for those who can make it, just picking
    a time and place should work.
    I'm not available for April, even if the AZ meet-up falls through (likely), unless a location is on the route home from Tucson.
    I'd love to see a meet-up work.

16. NM_Alien

May 28, 2015
    Albuquerque, NM
    How about Conchas in June? I'm pretty much wide open. I really like Conchas because I can take my Kayaks along and paddle/fish to my heart's content. When we were there right after Memorial Day last year, the weather was very nice. We saw foxes running around through the camp and lots of birds. Getting down to the water from the Bell Point CG can be challenging but there are other ways to get to water if you want to get your feet wet, such as driving to the boat ramp area. Looking at Reserveamerica, it's pretty booked over weekends but if you arrive on a Sunday and leave on a Wed or Thu, it's pretty empty.

17. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We get home from our Grand Canyon trip on June 3, so I'm open after that week.

18. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    NM_Alien Conchas is great we normally camp on the water in the Cove area so we can jump right in the water.
    Holy Ghost is open around the 15th of May and very nice I am reserving the temptation as it is a winding road with lots of trees overhanging, so June is the latest I can get there before the road gets overgrown.
    Jacks Creek is a great place also.
    Sumner Lake is also a great place and is actually closer than Conchas and much fewer people plus on the south side they have elec and water sites. The fishing is better at Sumner also.
    We can also do a boondock just off FR 376 in the Jemez lots of hiking and exploring there and it is only an hour and a half from ABQ.

19. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    As long as it's within a reasonable distance, if I can fit it into the schedule, and there is no scary stuff (backing up*) for me to set deal with, I'm in. Courtenay will be scraping bottom for vacation time, so it's unlikely he'll make it unless it's pretty close (and he's not off on a work trips)
    *I can sort of back the TT, I managed to park it in site 17 at White Star while Courtenay spotted for me last year, but we've been using that site for 20 years. Unfamiliar backing up still wigs me out.

20. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Just as a FYI, we made reservations in San Pedro Parks area, Clear Creek Campground, for the last weekend in July. (Going Thursday night after work, coming home Sunday.) We've only backpacked in that area, so it should be a change.