2019 Rockwood ESP roof strenght?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by mysticbus, Jan 9, 2019.

1. mysticbus

mysticbus New Member

Jan 9, 2019
    Port Orange, FL
    Just bought a brand new Rockwood 2280BHESP, picking it up on Saturday. We also have two Hobie Compass Mirage Drive kayaks, the bare hulls are 68lbs each. I have added fishing tackle management systems to the floors, and some other non removable add-ons, so I figure the hulls are about 75lbs each now. Yakima Jaylow kayak cradles are 12lbs each, so in reality, I am looking at about 175lbs total.

Rockwood rates the factory roof racks at 150lbs, I also have an air conditioner on the roof.

Will I be pushing it too hard? I feel like everything I know says to baby the roof of your pop up.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. What's the weight of the AC?

3. mysticbus

mysticbus New Member

Jan 9, 2019
    Port Orange, FL
    It is a Coleman mach 13.5K BTU. Quick google says 79lbs

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Wow, 150 lbs, that's it!

Well, worse case the kayaks and rack come off while driving down the road and Rockwood won't cover the roof damage.

5. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    That's only the AC unit, doesn't include the ceiling unit. Coleman uses 110lbs in their owner manuals.

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    I thought that the ceiling unit was the A/C????

7. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    There's two parts, the outside part that sits on the roof with the compressor/fan and the inside ceiling unit with the controls/ducts. For Coleman units at least they are sold separately.

8. mysticbus

mysticbus New Member

Jan 9, 2019
    Port Orange, FL
    I don't think either of these have anything to do with the racks limit though? Rockwood specifies 150lbs on the factory rack, not roof weight.