2nd annual rally in the forest - Cooks forest state park

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by vagov, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    starting to think about holding another rally at beautiful Cooks forest SP for the 2015 camp season. yes i said 2015! never to early to start thinking ahead!!!! . we could hold this again in the same loop back section E section sites 120-150. accoarding to dcnr this loop is expected to close for renovations as of sept 2014- in to the 2015 camp season for replacement of sewer and water lines. however i do beleive this work should be completed by early spring, as long as the winter months are not as harsh as this past year. adding water and sewer lines to this loop would only make this section of the park more desirable, especially for the bigger units to join us.! this is a non pet freindly section, however it is the biggest and nicest section in the cg. planning early in advance we could utilize both this section and the pet freindly section in the front loop to gain even more available spots.. plus there is a huge pavillion with electricity and a fireplace we could reserve for our potluck if we gain enough members who would want to bring poochie . this past year, we held this the last weekend of june, so i was thinking we could either do the same weekend being june 26-28th 2015 or possiblly moving it up one week to the july 4th weekend, we could gain a extra day with the holiday and hold this july 2-5 2015. i am open for suggestions or options, another reason to start planning early. ! let me know your thoughts :)

2. skiball

skiball New Member

Oct 29, 2013
    I kind of like the Cooks Forrest idea again. Plenty to do and beautiful scenery. I personally would probably try to get the same site since it is closer to the restroom for Patty although I did drive her there a lot. I'm not sure but late commers might find it more difficult reserving a site on a holiday weekend since it seems to fill up fast even on non holiday weekends. I am not sure what the future holds but we will probably be there whatever weekend is chosen.

3. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    Be careful with the projections made by DCNR when renovations take place and when they will be completed. Its a crap shoot most of the time.

4. ShanegoDave

ShanegoDave Member

Feb 27, 2014
    I too would be interested on either weekend assumming that they are tentive accoarding to the scheduled renovation project. If change is needed. We should have enough time to make adjustments. So at this point i will say that i am in. !

5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I know it is early however figured i get the word out. And get the feel for another possible rally. I will do my best and monitor the progress being done throughout the fall and winter months. So i realize that a actual date may need to be adjusted accoardinging. So far the dcnr expects the loop to be completed by april/ 2015 is there projected target date. So i been told. Will keep in contact with them over the remainder of the year for updates. I figured keeping the same time frame as this past year would be a good starting point, the rainiest season should be behind us, and we will hopfully be blessed with another great weather weekend. Even though it rained sunday. We had terrific weather. And with alittle luck the river will be better canoeable next summer. This cg is very popular, and tends to fill quickly. Even on non holiday weekends. So when the ressie window does open. They tend to book fast. Another reason to get started the sooner the better.

6. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    bill, your site number 141 was a nice site., but you may want to consider a site in the 120,s they are all nice, and may be even closer to the washrooms for patty. if we pull this rally together again, I will try booking the same site I had, site number 137 as a group site for the potluck, unless we gain sites in the pet friendly section in which we have options. . dave , I am glad that your are in so far! unless plans change, we only need four more to become official again!!!! [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

7. skiball

skiball New Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Those sites are much more shaded too. I'll talk to Patty about it. We would be much farther from the rest of you though. I do have the walkie-talkies to stay in contact if you think it's a good idea. We didn't really use them much this time. If we decide that it is a good idea, maybe others who have a set for hunting or for the kids would help keep anyone that might be in another section in contact with the main loop. There might be some who want to bring a pet or something. They would need to be compatible with each other. A lot of us used them in the desert to keep in contact with each other without being tied to regular military communications. They worked pretty well but the ones with longer range are very expensive. We found that some of the cheaper ones did not work with the better ones. They could listen but not able to talk. Anyway we have some time to think about keeping everyone in contact with the group, but it is a suggestion if anyone is interested. Mine are Midland GXT1050 series GMRS/FRS radios. Other Midland radios might work though.

8. ShanegoDave

ShanegoDave Member

Feb 27, 2014
    i am hoping that the campground renovations will be completed in time for a repeat rally, Cooks forest area does have alot to offer! but in case it is not, i have noticed some private campgrounds in the area . could we use one as as a backup,? i think we should give cooks forest another chance to grow, then possiblly moving the third year to another area such as tionesta, meadville, or lake erie region somewhere in the PA WILDS (that could be used for a future rally name as well)

9. skiball

skiball New Member

Oct 29, 2013
    My hopes are that if they plan to be finished by April, surely they will be finished by the end of June, even it they get behind. My thoughts are... As soon as we come up with a firm date, I'm going to reserve. If worse comes to worse, we can always cansel and get our money back.

10. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Dave. I think i want to try holding another rally at cooks again. Next year. We all seemed to had fun there. Not to knock the other areas, however i beleive that there is more things to do either at or near the cg. The clarion river offers kayaks and canoeing in which i still want to do, plus the area offers alot of other activities as well for all age groups. From hiking to horseback riding to shopping for the ladies. I also beleive that this area has a huge potential to grow as big as the more popular rallys. I will monitor the progress being done throughout the fall. To keep us updated. And we can keep private cg.s in mind in that area. But ridge campground is rather large offering us room to grow. I also beleive that the Western side of the PA state does have great camping areas, and i want to promote it more in the upcomming rallys. So moving it in thr third year sounds like a great idea as well. Maybe even incluse Sw pa as a option. The pa wilds rally does have a nice ring to it as a fulture name. But not sure if lake erie is included in the area. I believe that erie is considered lake region as the Pa wilds actually run more central to east. Anyhow. Yea it could be a consideration for future events. Just be careful what you suggest, this forum has a tendency to form wagonmasters this way! Skiball. If you book in the higher 120,s. You should be more in the middle of the loop and still close to the bathhouse. Hopefully we can fill the whole loop with more members. And you will still be in with the crowd

11. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    i was traveling in northwest PA tonight on my job, so i figured i kill two birds with one stone, and scout out surrounding campgrounds. went through edinboro, down thru cambridge springs, then out to warren pa, stopped in looked at Buckaloons campground, federal cg in the ALlegheny national forest , this park has about 60 sites , basically two loops , wooded. i liked the first loop better, but it rained heavily tonight, and most sites were swamped out. then i traveled down through titusville, then stopped at oil creek family campground, to take a look. they had clean bathrooms, a swimming pool, and average general store, however didnt really care for the sites. they are pretty tight, as in most private campgrounds. so based on those two i scouted , i STILL like Cooks forest ridge campground a lot better!!!!

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I'm tentively interested in attending the rally at cook forest again. Here is hoping the renovations would be done and the river not flowing as fast. There are a lot of things to do up there so next time I'm taking more time off work (hopefully). Trying to come up with plans to relocate my trailer closer to home so hopefully will be able to actually sleep off the ground.

13. ShanegoDave

ShanegoDave Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks for your scouting john. Nice country all around that area but it still sounds like Cooks forest is the place to be

14. skiball

skiball New Member

Oct 29, 2013
    To be honest, as soon as I started reading that you were searching, I thought< I hope he dosen't find another place. We will go wherever but, Ridge Campground is our choice. It's right in the middle of everything and is a nice place. I still have a lot of faith in them to have everything finished before we get there.

15. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Bill, you and patty,s freind who joined the portal lately. Do you know there user name? I would like to send them a pm welcoming them and invite them to the 2015 rally. I still hoping to hold the rally at cooks again. My number one choice also. Since i was driving around NW PA that dAy, figured i scout Alittle for future rally sites . Even if dcnr is not done next seAson i still would like to stay in cook forest area and may look into some nearbye cg. But cooks is the happening place

16. skiball

skiball New Member

Oct 29, 2013
    I just asked Patty but she is not sure of her name on here. It really dosen't matter anyway. She was on the day Patty got her to register and hasn't been on the site since. I'll get Patty to talk to her next week.

17. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

Jul 22, 2012
    I'm interested in this rally, as it sounds like you're planning it for after school is out.

18. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    mnebinger More than likely leaning toward the last weekend in june again since most like to avoid the holiday travel will check back with Dcnr and ressie window at the end of this month i hope you can come!

19. crosbys2008

crosbys2008 Active Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Erie, PA
    We had a great time and definitely like Cook Forest and the area. Hope we will be able to attend next years rally.

20. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.