3 way fridge question

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by crazymama30, Jul 5, 2018.

1. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    So i have a rockwood high wall. I don't if it has an auto shut off when it pops down. I am wondering first of all if my fridge will run off battery while in transit, and if it does will I have enough battery for my trip after driving for 2 or 3 hours? We don't spend much time in the pup while camping, just cooking and sleeping. I will put the fridge on propane once we re at the sight, I am just not comfortable driving with it running.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Running the refrigerator on 12 volts is a power hog. It will put a big draw on the battery. Maybe if you get enough power from the TV it will be alright. I never ran the refrigerator on 12 volts traveling. Just have it running on 110 a day or two before leaving. Pack it the night before and leave it closed. Ours was OK for our trips. The other thing you can do is bring a spare battery.

KamperKel and crazymama30 like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Lots run off propane when travelling.

4. crazymama30

Apr 1, 2017
    I know lots run off propane, and I can respect everyone's choice to do what they please, but I am just not comfortable with that.

5. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    Your TV will probably produce enough juice to run the fridge on 12v, but if you stop for more than 20-30 minutes you'll probably kill the battery. 12v is the least effective means of cooling a 3-way fridge and runs the risk of killing your battery. Lots of people (including me) tow with the fridge on propane and there is a lot of debate over the issue. Do what feels right for you. If towing with propane is out of the question, then I would pre-cool the fridge for 24 hours, pack up and throw in a few ice packs, and tow with it off. You should be OK for a few hours.

landon6062 and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I plan to pre cool mine and load it up with frozen food for the week. Ill take along another cooler for stuff you can't freeze and need imiadeatly.

crazymama30 likes this.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I have a 3 way fridge in the clipper. I cool it down on shore power before I leave. I fill it up with food and add a couple frozen blue ice packs if there's a lot of empty space.

I can go a good 4 hour drive without any warming. The fridge stays cold and when I reach my campsite I turn it on with propane.

crazymama30 likes this.
  8. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I have a related question. If the controls to the fridge are on the inside, like they are on our NTU 2008 Fleetwood, and you can't get in there when the top is down, how do you deal with changing the power source on a long drive?

My other camper's fridge will automatically change based on whatever power source is available even though we don't actually use that function because we can get in there and manually change it whenever we want en route.

9. crazymama30

Apr 1, 2017
    There should be a setting called auto, and then the fridge senses what power source to use, with 110 always being default from what I understand. I have buttons on the outside of my fridge for this

10. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I'll have to check, but I don't think mine has that. (The model that does have it is covered in the same manual. Grr.) My other camper does have the auto setting, and it doesn't need it. [:(!]

I'm gonna call this one a win for Rockwood!

11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    If it doesn't have an auto setting and you can't access the controls enroute, then you need to choose one power source for the drive.

If you're going to be stopped for several hours on the road, then you best not choose 12v, if you have any restricted tunnels, etc., then you don't want propane.

12. RetAF

RetAF Member

Apr 22, 2010
    I use 12v when travelling all the time. I have used propane some when travelling, but the flame frequently blows out so I gave up on that. My TV does a decent job of charging the battery so I have no problem stopping for meals enroute and still having charge left when I get to the campground. If camping without hookups, I bring a Honda 2000i generator to top off the battery when needed. As mentioned by others, get the fridge and the food in it good and cold before you leave home.

13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    The controls on a refrigerator are usually inside the lower OUTSIDE compartment. for Popups.

14. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Thanks all. This one doesn't have controls on the outside; the panels on the vent compartments are screwed down and not hinged.

I don't know yet if it'll blow out on propane but it is probably pretty similar to your Sequoia, RetAF, so maybe I should plan on DC. Do you know if you can cut off the house battery while parked for a few hours and expect the fridge to start up again on DC on its own when you reconnect the battery?

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    According to the manual for mine it says that the reefer will hold temp for about 8 hours.
    I always start mine several days ahead of time, and also make sure that everything placed inside is already cooled from the reefer in the house. if I were to make a longer trip i would get dry ice and put inside the reefer (wrapped n paper)

landon6062 likes this.
  16. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Thanks....I suspect I will just have to experiment and see what happens. I do always prechill and load cold and frozen items so it should be good for 8 hours...

17. RetAF

RetAF Member

Apr 22, 2010
    e a

Disconnecting the battery for a while and the then connecting will work just fine.

18. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Good to know--thanks!

19. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    All you need is a dime to open them.

The later years(maybe all of them) Fleetwood Highwall PUPs used European Domestic models. Controls are on the inside and no auto setting. However, the one in my Niagara is DSI, I would just run on propane.

And I would think about adding a switch to the 12VDC supply line, inside the outside vent doors. If you run on 12VDC and forget to disconnect the battery when you get home, you will kill your battery very quickly. Or you may accidentally have the fridge running off level. The switch will allow you to plug in the shore power and charge the battery if you want.