3-way refrigerator - How to use it

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by tnchuck100, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

Jul 22, 2012
    Chuch summed it up as good as it is. The only thing I can possible add is that when traveling there are 2 reasons to use DC and NEVER gas. 1st reason is the flame may blow out and allow you reefer to heat up possibly spoiling your food and more important reason #2 is... who want an open flame present at a gas station with all the gas being pumped into vehicles and gas fumes everywhere. Some state laws prohibit using propane to cool your reefer when traveling. Besides Im sure you dont have a death wish.

2. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

Jul 22, 2012
    I just traded my 2012 in on a bigger 2014. The Fridge (4.0 cu.ft.) only has Gas or 120v AC so I will be towing now using gas. I just have to remember to turn it off when re-fueling the TV.

3. pupbugs

pupbugs New Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Wondering why a Koolatron/Coleman electric cooler doesn't have to be level? They claim to get 40 deg cooler than outside temp.

We've only used our 3-way a couple times, but I really don't like having to monitor or worry about exact level and worry about the temp all the time. Last time we camped, level on the roof was different from level on the floor inside, which was different from level on the tongue?!?

I also don't like having to pop-up/pop-down to load/clean/prop open/close the frige. I'm trying to convince hubby that we should just pull out and sell the 3-way, then MOD the frige vents to become an exterior access panel.

We woudn't have the propane option for boondocking, but since I don't trust it and we have to use coolers of ice blocks anyway, might as well have somthing we can access from outside.

Anyone tried this?

4. colo-pr

colo-pr New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks for this awesome post, I learn that as rockie I made the big mistake of not pre-cool the refrigerator at home and later have it unusable at the campground until go cool about 6+ hours later

5. colo-pr

colo-pr New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    My 7 connectors plug have a connector with +12v live every time, this 12v is what you said to charge the battery from the alternator of the TV or is another additional?

6. colo-pr

colo-pr New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Is safe traveling using the propane for the fridge? My dealer when I bought my PUP told me about 4 times DON'T DRIVE WITHOUT CLOSE THE PROPANE VALVE

7. bdneal

bdneal New Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Great information, thanks for the awesome post.

8. supton

supton New Member

May 26, 2012
    Great thread! I just got a pup with a fridge, and turned on the 120V fridge switch, and figured it was broken, as I couldn't hear a compressor. Now I'll go and recheck, now knowing there is no fan to be heard.

Question: if I put it onto 120V, should I wait an hour or so, then feel the fins inside the fridge, to see if they got cold(er)? How long of a test period is recommended?

9. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

Jul 22, 2012
    You really need to give it 24hours to see what temp it will get down to.

10. Strut

Strut Member

Jun 24, 2014
  11. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Peltier coolers will not keep your food in the safe zone if the outside temperature is much more than 75 or 80 F.

12. GWR

GWR Once a tent camper

Aug 13, 2014
    They are just to keep your beer cool.

13. JnC in CA

JnC in CA New Member

Mar 20, 2015
    We just bought a 2004 Fleetwood Hemlock with the 3 way fridge. If after 2 days it's still not cool what should we check. Yes we having it plugged into the 110 to our home and yes it's level and switched to the ac on the fridge. I would really appreciate some help. [HY] [MOD]

14. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    The first answer to such a question is to clean the unit. You can find instructions on how to do that here.

15. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Yesterday I hooked up our PUP to our house's outlet. I thought it was all good to go, but after trying some lights they did not come on. I checked the cord again and realized they plugs at the pup were not completely connected.

After saying all of this, have you checked the lights inside the PUP to make sure it is connected.

The next thing I would try is to run it on propane. This is the very best way to run it anyway.

16. JnC in CA

JnC in CA New Member

Mar 20, 2015
    It will run on the propane just not AC

17. popupprincess

popupprincess Member

Feb 24, 2015
    How level does the trailer have to be?...I try and try but rarely manage to get it perfectly level on the campsite...they're always so uneven.. [:(!] I'm pretty close to being level but not always exact. Will that affect the efficiency of my fridge or cause the pooling problem you mentioned? I really hope not or I'm going to spend half my holidays just trying to get the darn thing perfect [PU]

18. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Get it close.

19. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Just throw in a bottle of ice in the fridge. Itll get cold in no time.

20. elkmontb10

elkmontb10 Member

Oct 31, 2013
    A lot of us don't realize that the door lock has two settings (at least on mine). You can close and lock the door with a small crack in it for ventilation when not in use. If you don't adjust the lock when in use you will still have that space and the cold will escape. Play with it so you know the difference in the two settings. Place a piece of paper between the door and fridge to make sure you have it set for a good seal.