3-way refrigerator - How to use it

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by tnchuck100, Sep 10, 2008.

1. bigjoey38

bigjoey38 New Member

Oct 5, 2014
    Question: It took us about 2 days to get the pilot light going.. so we have a Norcold and it says once the light is on the needle in the meter should move to green which it did not... Now granted it was only on for about 5 minutes so do we need to give it longer or should the needle move right a way?

Joe

2. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Mar 7, 2012
    does anyone have instructions on setting the freezer temperature?

3. Osprey92

Osprey92 New Member

Jun 2, 2016
    Thank you for that info. We have not yet used our fridge for anything but storage. We have been tent campers for years and (1) just haven't gotten used to the idea of actually having a fridge and (2) not sure how to use it. We will try using the fridge for our trip this weekend.

4. jwoltemath

jwoltemath New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Nebraska
    I have an older new to us coleman pup. The fridge works fine on AC but I cannot get the propane to light. Can't really see where I should see flame or I would just put in a lighter and try that. Is it right behind the high cool/low cool/off selector?

5. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

May 31, 2011
    Maryland
    In this pic, the little circular door on the lower right is what you push open and then insert the lighter. You have to push down the gray knob while lighting.
    [​IMG]

6. jwoltemath

jwoltemath New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Nebraska
    Thank you. This looks a lot newer than our 97 Coleman Yukon but I will look to see if there is an access door like this.

7. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    We can do Older and Dirtier, with labels.

BTW, it's usually best to start your own thread, and not dig up a 2 year old thread.

[​IMG]

jnc likes this.
  8. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA

It would most likely be like this, with two panels above and below:

[​IMG]

9. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    Actually you need to do different, most smaller C/F campers used the Norcold 323 which has one knob to select the source.

10. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Like This? (I actually got this photo off popupportal)
    [​IMG]

11. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Our 3-way Fridge doesn't have the freezer part so it just gets used to cool things down like soft drinks, lunch meat etc...

We carry a 5-day ICE CHEST in the tailgate end of our Truck filled with ICE. We have a plastic container with a lid on top of the ice to keep our frozen items in to keep from getting water logged...

Our truck becomes our PLAN B for everything we can think of we might need camping... Who knows what is stored in the locked and covered Truck bed and and rear seat area. All of our valuables are kept in the truck back seat area... Our Truck has the PUSH-BUTTON keyboard access which is neat without worrying about someone always at the site with a key...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

We always look for a place to get ICE close by before getting to the camp ground... ALot of campground that has a camp store most often has ice available...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

12. Phil913

Phil913 New Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Lakewood, CA
    Hello, I have a new to me 2002 Coleman Grand Tour Elite Niagara and I, for the first time, have it plugged into a 110V power source at home. When I turn on the fridge with the 110V power source (12V and propane are off) the thermostat sounds as if it is making a buzzing sound. It's not a low hum like you would expect from a fridge. I just wanted to ask if this is normal or does it sound like I have an electrical arch under the thermostat/power control housing? I appreciate your reply.

13. Fless

Fless Active Member

The fridge control on my '02 Cheyenne is quiet. You might check for loose mounting screws or something nearby vibrating.

14. Phil913

Phil913 New Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Lakewood, CA
    It only makes a buzzing sound for about a minute when I first turn it on. I let it ride and watched it and it stopped. I let the fridge run over night and it is cold this morning. Not sure if there is an issue but why fix it if it ain't broke. I'll just be sure to take my tools when we go camping.

15. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

Nov 29, 2010
    Are you 100% sure the buzzing sound is coming from the refrigerator and not from the nearby furnace? The furnace fan will buzz for about a minute when the power is turned on.

16. Phil913

Phil913 New Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Lakewood, CA
    Sorry for the delay between posts. The buzzing stopped and the fridge works fine. Not sure what it was but it hasn't done it since. It definitely was not the furnace. It's on the opposite end of the trailer.

17. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    This post is accurate and useful.

Additional things to consider:

A vent fan with a thermistor switch drawing air past the hot fins at the top of the back of the fridge is an excellent way to expel the heat more efficiently, and to thus make the fridge get down to a temperature more quickly. A 140mm computer case fan is a good option. However, there can be some noise associate with running these fans, so consider options for adding vibration dampening, and try to select a high-end nearly-silent fan. Also remember that if your vent fan is drawing 0.33A for 24 hours, that's 4AH of power you weren't previously consuming each day.

18. jwoltemath

jwoltemath New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Nebraska
    Thank you, yes this looks like what I have.

19. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Set the knob to propane.
    Set the temp dial to max and push and hold down.
    Click the red push button until it lights. There is a little door to look in to see if it is lit.
    After a bit you can release the temp knob.

20. jwoltemath

jwoltemath New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Nebraska
    Thank you, I will give that a try.