3-way refrigerator - How to use it

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by tnchuck100, Sep 10, 2008.

1. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    @mpking That is such a beautiful picture. I've been looking everywhere for it. I have that same fridge, but without the labels. How can you tell when it is on? With gas will there be a flame in the peep hole? How about DC / AC ? Is it safe to run the fridge on AC with the pop up closed (for the night before you leave)?

Oh and any tips on how to use propane on this model would be greatly appreciated.

I plan to try this weekend.

Here is mine.
    https://imgur.com/mWtgq7F

2. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

Nov 29, 2016
    I too have the "auto" refrigerator and love it. Cool down on AC at home, unplug, it automatically goes to propane. Plug up at campsite it automatically goes to 110V. It will not auto to 12V, you must set that manually.

3. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    @MyName, honestly, the easiest way is to see if the Chimney / heat pipes are hot. (As in don't burn yourself, so be careful HOT)

In the picture you referenced, it's the horizontal black tubes at the top of the picture. If they're hot, it's working.

Yes, totally safe to have on while the camper is closed up, that is why it has the double access panel, so that it's ventilated.

4. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    Thanks. I think the horizontal black pipes is a great way to test if it is working. Yes the refrigerator works on AC.

I tried lighting the refrigerator on gas. I turned the left nob (selector) to the right (gas) pushed in the right nob and turned it all the way counter clockwise.I held the right nob down and clicked several times. I didn't see any flame in thechute box on the left. I removed the panel and verified my clicker was sparking. It was very windy so I only tried for a few minuets.I also noticed the nice one has 4 positions on the left selector nob, while mine feels like it only has 3.
    I'm guessing DC/AC/Gas clockwise.

My Refrigerator Panel. https://imgur.com/mWtgq7F
    Refrigerator Chute https://imgur.com/0Z3DskJ
    The nice looking one. https://imgur.com/Sbsdu2Y

5. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    3 way fridge - Gas mode.
    Ok. I got the pilot light lit. The valve on the right side was turned off. Right now I have the Gas nob turned to about 9 o'clock. The weird thing is when I push the gas nob in and turn it the pilot light goes out. Is this normal? Right now i'm waiting for the horizontal bars to get warm. I'll update.

6. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    You have a Norcold. I have no idea how to light it.

This is the lighting procedure for Dometics:
    1. Go inside, light a stove burner. This will remove the extra air in the propane line (Not necessary, but VERY helpful). If your doing this not opened up, be aware it might take a while to flush all the air from the lines.
    2. Push down on knob, turn to high, do not let go of knob (Keep it pushed down, this disables the burner cut off while you hold it down. It's got a thermocouple in the burner, when it senses it's cold, it will shut the gas off to prevent a gas leak).
    3. Push ignitor until burner lights. (You'll probably hear it)
    4. Use the peephole to see if the burner is lit. (Usually VERY hard to see)
    5. When burner is lit, release the knob after 30 secs. (Takes that long for the thermocouple to warm up.)
    6. Wait approximately in 20 or so minutes, the black heat pipes should be warm. It will take about 5 hours for the fridge to bring itself down to tempature. You can help it along by putting cold stuff in it to begin with

7. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    Hi all,
    after about 40 min the horizontal heat lights were warm. I didn't check at the 20 min mark. I turned it off now. I am happy. I will really test it on my next driveway camping trip.

@mpking Flush the air out. That must have been why it was so hard to light at first. Thank you for this tip.
    Also the flame at the largest was about 1/2 inch. Is that normal?

Gas knob. what I noticed. after the pipes were warm:
    12-9 o'clock no flame. It also feels like a different "level"
    9-6 o'clock the flame was big.
    6-5 o'clock the flame gets small.
    5-3 o'clock the flame goes out.

8. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    @MyName , you really should start your own thread..... I would clean your fridge's burner. It's probably clogged. There are instructions and video's all over the net.

9. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    @mpking Thanks. You have been very helpful. I will start a new thread after I do some experimenting.