30 amp power cord length ... how much REALLY needed.

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Raycfe, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Just pulled the power cord out of our N2U camper and it is 60 feet long. I doing think I every parked farther than 15 feet from the power pole. How about you at a normal non commercial campground? Ten years ago I made a 50 foot extension and have never needed to use it. Just carrying around dead weight. Thinking about clipping the cord to 20 feet.

2. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Murphy's law being what it is, the first time you go camping with the trimmed cord, you'll find that it 5' too short.....at least that would be my luck...lol. On our pup, I removed the pull-out power cord entirely, & put in a proper shore power plug. but I also carry both a 25' & a 100' extension cord. YMMV

61Z6kKRXZ9L._SL1500_.jpg

jnc likes this.
  3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Sixty feet? That is long, mine is only 30 feet. The few times I have used it, and that is like maybe five or six over six years, I have never needed the 30 foot cord I carried; that is why it is no longer in the trailer.
    But like the previous person noted, there is Murphy law.

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I carry two 25 foot extensions. I have used both together once. Many times I've used just one. I too have removed the pull out power cord and installed like xvz12 did above. Love it.

5. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    We needed a full 80 feet at a campground in upper Michigan last year. Luckily, we had a 50" extension cord. Some private compgrounds have indistinct campsite boundaries and only one power post for two or three campsites.

6. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    I want to install one of these to help keep mice and bugs from climbing the cable and getting into the camper. I suppose that the ease of unplugging would, in some places, increase the risk of theft of the cord though. My neighbor had his TT power cord pulled fully out and cut off.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  7. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    I have a 25' cord and never need more.

If you were hooking up a sailboat I could see needing a longer length, as the longer the boat the longer the distance between the shore power at the bow-end of the dock and the boat's hookup which is usually near the cockpit in the aft.

But for a popup RV where the distance from the front of the forward bunk to the location on the trailer's box where the power inlet is located is never more than about eight or nine feet, and where power hookups at campgrounds are rarely more than a few feet away, it's unusual (in my own experience) to find a campsite where I would need more than 15 feet. I've never needed my full 25 feet of cord.

I do, however, carry a couple of 20A extension cords. These aren't capable of extending the range of the main 30A cord, but are great for providing a second power source that is driven off of a different breaker on the main box. The reason this can be handy is that on cold nights I occasionally run two space heaters if I am at a campground with hookups. One can be plugged into the trailer's electrical system, supplied by the 30A cord. The other can be plugged into the extension cord, supplied by the 20A circuit on the main box.

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Ain't no way I would shorten the cord.

Mine is 30 feet and I have used it all.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Ours is about 25-30 feet. At least once a year, I need my 25 foot extension cord. A few times when I did not need AC, I just ran off battery because I was to far away. I had a TT that had 60+ feet, it was nice. You only pulled out what you needed. So no big deal. Would rather have too much then not enough.

If the site is such that we can put the camper whereever we want. We figure out where we want the camper not where the electric post.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Ours is about 30', and we occasionally need to use the 30-amp extension we bought. This past year alone, one power column was at the extreme end of a long pull-through site, so we had to use the extension cord. We also had a couple of sites where the power column was on the wrong side of the camper. We could just manage both of those, but another 6" and would have needed the extension in one of those sites, the other was closer.
    ETA - These have been in various types of campgrounds. The longest run was at a USFS campground in CO. It sort of looks like they ran the power on the handiest line they could, given which sites have it and where in the sites it's located. Others over the years have been in state parks and KOAs

Several of the Canadian members have mentioned that some of the power columns in provincial parks are quite a ways from the parking spot.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Our TT has a 27ft cord on the trailer and I carry 2x25ft extensions and 1x50ft extension. At several of our Provincial Parks I have used all of it as many have electrical runs of 100ft and some are 100ft plus.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  12. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Yeah, there was a thread just a month or 2 ago that was going over all this stuff. I have about 125 feet in total and use it all quite often. I'm actually looking around to find another 25 or 50 footer of #10 to have on hand for one site in particular that we like to camp on.

13. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    clip it off all together, a rally coming up will be the first time I've plugged in since. I put a plug on the camper and have a 25 ft cord and a 50 ft extension. normally use the 25 ft at the house and leave both at home. but I do have a 30 foot cord for the solar panel to chase the sun.