3way Dometic, LP regulator? What's it look like?

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by swtigers, Jun 18, 2018.

1. swtigers

swtigers Member

Apr 23, 2013
    My 3way dometic works 100% perfectly on 120v and 12v but on propane it burns a nice blue flame on pilot but the fridge doesn't cool. If I've already gotten it cool on 12v, it slowly reaches ambient. I hear people talking about replacing the propane regulator. I can't figure out which piece that is. Perhaps someone can take look at this photo of my system and tell me which it is?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    The regulator is usually very near the LP tank, the tank has a hose that goes from the tank to the regulator. My new TT had the same problem, the dealer could find no problem I used my manometer and checked the regulator, it was set lower than 11 inches, re-set the regulator and it has worked fine ever since.

xxxapache likes this.
  3. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    The regulator (if the refrigerator has one) would be under the controls where the copper LPG line connects.

The main regulator is on the tongue by the LPG cylinders.

If you have to ask, you are in over your head but if you decide to continue, here is a link to a DIY manometer and how to use it;
    http://www.rverscorner.com/manometer.html

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    You need to be looking at the regulator at the tank.

My fridge suddenly began not cooling well on gas. I found the regulator needed adjusting....Fortunately, my TT has a dial pressure gauge in the gas line coming into the fridge.

5. rjniles

rjniles Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Georgetown SC
    If you have a nice blue flame your problem is not the LP regulator.

6. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    My improperly adjusted regulator provided a "nice blue flame". Looking at the flame to measure gas pressure is nothing but a guess.

7. swtigers

swtigers Member

Apr 23, 2013
    So what you're saying is that the LP pressure coming out of the bottle supplied to the entire camper might not be acceptable and only the fridge isn't working because of it? The stove, the grill, the furnace, the hot water heater, all those appliances are working but the fridge is sensitive enough that that could be the problem?

The reason I'm asking is I need to understand where it is to hook the manometer up because I don't see such a connection at the fridge - only place I could see a connection would be at the gas bottle itself and that would impact the entire camper.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Do you have an adjustable regulator just for the refrigerator? Our Dometic 2-way fridge has issues at altitude, though it does eventually catch, after a couple of dozen ignition clicks. The only suggestions Dometic had were to run on shore power over 5000' (not practical) or to have the pressure reset for high altitude (also not practical, we camp from sea level to over 9000').

9. swtigers

swtigers Member

Apr 23, 2013
    I have no idea but i see no adjustable parameters except target “coldness” and “propane level” as you can see from those photos. That’s what i’m here looking for help on. What would this look like? Can someone say “look over there” or “see in this linked photo, thats what you should be looking for”.

10. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    No.....

I adjusted the regulator at the tanks to the correct water column measurement when I had my cooling on propane problems

11. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Was the dial below the igniter button set at high cool?

12. Fless

Fless Active Member

@swtigers,

Make sure you're turning on only one heating source at a time. When you're running it on LP, be sure the two other switches are off.

In the pic below, does the flue (in red rectangle) get hot on all three heat sources? It should get too hot to touch, at least for any length of time.

IMG_2123.jpg
    _

13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    mine had a bright pretty blue flame, but I did not have 11 inch WC , I re-adjusted the regulator. as per a phone call to dometic

xxxapache likes this.
  14. swtigers

swtigers Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Yes. The stack gets nice and hot on LP within 10 minutes. Just sat here and tested it. In that time, the fridge temp went from 87 to 86 :/. I left it on the entire day at work and it went from 88 to 85 in 10 hours of cooling on LP. Turned it off when I got home in frustration but turned it back on to test the stack warm per your question.