4 Mile Creek State park- How is it? good, bad, ok??

Discussion in 'New York' started by campingprincess, Mar 26, 2013.

1. campingprincess

campingprincess New Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Hello, my family & I have booked a trip to 4 mile creek state park for the Canadian labor day weekend. We have booked site #3. I booked this one because it was the only site left with partial shade & having 3 little ones I wanted some trees just in case it gets extremely hot, which has happened many times before in the month of May (but with this cold weather that just will not go away I am not doubtful hot weather will join us that weekend :( Also a factor for booking it was we have no neighbours behind us or to the right of us. After looking closer at the campground map I see that we are directly across from the registration building. Now I am concerned with this, will it be noisy 24/7 there?, are we going to loose privacy & not feel like we are camping because of all the incoming & outgoing traffic? Has anyone been here before, what was it like?

Our favorite camping spot here in Canada is at a privately owned campground & our favorite site there is right by the front entrance, but the campsite is so large that our pup sits so far back on the site that we never notice how close we are to the front entrance. Plus there we are on a water front site, so we are busy relaxing by the water or swimming most of our trip to even notice what is going on behind us near the entrance.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Site number 3 ...

http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Four-Mile-Creek-State-Park/photos/Four-Mile-Creek-003

We have stayed at this cg a few times.. We use it a base when we go over for a weekend of shopping... [;)]

Being right across from the office won't be too bad.. you will get all the traffic in and out, but once the sun goes down there is usually a Park Ranger on duty who sits near the gate and keeps things under controll..

Back when we had the pup, myself and a friend would go to 4MCSP for a guys getaway weekend every once in awhile, we always stayed over on site 175 (I think) .. We have also stayed over on site 216 a couple times..

3. daveo1289

daveo1289 Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Rochester NY
    We have been there a couple of times and will be going there again in August. The campground itself is nice. It has a camp store with the usual things one forgets or the children want. There are two towns within 15 minutes of the park, Lewiston and Youngstown that have anything the camp store doesn't. The park is mostly just a campground. The last time we were there, there wasn't anything planned by the park for the children to do such as games, movies or things of that nature. There was a lot of biking through out the park and it does have playgrounds but not a pool. I don't know the age of your children but my DD brought a small inflatable pool for her twins age 3). For the week we were there, we went to local attractions during the day.
    You can expect to see a bit of traffic from your site as you can understand. It does slow down quite a bit in the evening.

4. kmeece

kmeece New Member

Apr 19, 2013
    We will be camping there May 2-May 7 and staying on site 232. From the photos we found online it looked like the best that was available. If anyone know anything about this specific site, we would love to hear about it!

On May 8 we are headed to Letchworth SP for 11 nights. Can't wait!

5. campingprincess

Mar 25, 2013
    Let me know how you like 4 mile creek! We head there May 18th, I hope we enjoy it because it is very close to home for us, so if we like it we hope to do some more weekend trips there in the summer.

Letchworth SP is my favorite camping place by far! Can't wait to spend a week there this July!!:)

6. kmeece

kmeece New Member

Apr 19, 2013
    I must have been tired when I posted last. We are not staying there in May, but June. Same dates... I just typed the wrong month. Gee... vacation can't get here quick enough. [SNZ]

7. campingprincess

Mar 25, 2013
    Lol! I hear you on that one, we have been counting down for our first camping trip of the season since January & the kids have already started packing they are so anxious! And then before you know it vacation is over [:(]

The one I am most anxious for is letchworth for the week in July, but it is still like 11 weeks away! [:O] So we have a few mini weekend camping trips planned in may & June to help cure our need for camping (aka the itch). Now hopefully this cold weather takes a hike quick!

upstate family likes this.
  8. Checkered24

Checkered24 New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    I have been to four mile dozens of times over the years. I really like it as a campground.

The park itself does not have a lot of hiking, or things of that nature. (Such as Lethchworth or Stony Brook).

IMO, it's a good park for younger kids, Playgrounds, open fields, you can take them down by the lake and let them throw rocks. Plenty of biking. Also a good place to just unwind by the lake. Particularly in late July to early August when lake Ontario will cool the temps there!

Also, just down the road is Fort Niagara state park, which has some more hiking opportunities, a pool, etc.

IMO, the best sites are the ones along the lake. In the older, main loop area, the electric sites are all basically in a straight line, and get a lot of large RV's. Camping along there feels like living in a storage locker. The opposite side is non electric, with slightly bigger spaces, and many more pups and tents. The two round loops to the east also have many nice sites, some with lake views too.

9. daveo1289

daveo1289 Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Rochester NY
    Site 232!! You hit a home run! That is one of the best sites in the park, in my opinion. It's right on the lake although there is a bit of a drop off. I don't know if you have ever stayed at the park but is it a real nice park and close to a lot of things. You won't be disappointed. We'll be going there in August and at site 225.

10. kmeece

kmeece New Member

Apr 19, 2013
    Thanks daveo1289!

Glad to hear we were able to get a great site. We are less than 6 weeks away (actually we will be there in June... not May). We have never stayed there before and it will be our son's and my first trip to Niagara Falls. My wife went as a little girl.

Thanks for you insight! Hope you have a great time in August!

11. neorider

neorider New Member

Apr 24, 2013
    I stayed at Four Mile Creek last year on a motorcycle trip around Lake Erie. I stayed on the outside of loop 3 in the 330's, I believe. For a Friday night in June, it was empty. There was only one other site in use on that entire loop. Although I didn't spend much time at the CG (I arrived around 7:30pm, set up my tent, dropped my gear and headed back to the falls for a few hours and left early Saturday morning) the facilities were nice and the staff was very helpful. I was hoping to check out the lake area on Saturday morning, but I woke up to rain and wanted to get moving so I could push through it. I am thinking of doing this trip again this summer and will most likely stay here again, if I do.

12. tyler811

tyler811 New Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Sorry posted this and then looked at date [;)]

repost of sorts:

Just left 4 mile state park on Wed. Huge lots but book early on line for the lake side with the beautiful view of the sunset and Toronto skyline at sunset. I was dismayed to find the camping store closed for our stay but firewood is $5 a large bundle at the office which closes at 6 pm on the week days. Using the Reserve America (thats how you reserve online for NY parks) pick the site you want then use Google maps and the little guy in the top left corner to get a street view of the lot you want. Lots on the outer edge of loop 200 have tons of mature trees for the shade. The bathrooms around loop 200 are decent but bigger showers are right behind the office. Each bathhouse has a laundry room also with two washers and dryers and table for folding. Take a ton of quarters with you though as each wash and dry is a buck seventy five and there is no change machines. For change you will have to go to the park office.

The camping in the middle offers little shade so stick to the outer loops if you can.

If you have kids the game room was never open when we were there but the games are a crane game and a couple of older ones anyway. There is a huge playground in the middle of the campground which looked nice. There is Four Mile Creek that runs along the side which has good fishing but getting down to it can be tricky. Follow the trail along the creek that goes behind the tent sites till you get to bend in the creek for a decent fishing spot. Though you are on Lake Ontario there is no swimming. Literally a five minute drive though to Fort Niagara there is swimming area and a boat launch to fish from. While your park pass gets you into the Fort Niagara park for free the actual fort is $12 to get into for adults.

Right next door is a beautiful little town called Youngstown with nice little park for fishing and boat viewing.

Niagara Falls is 20 minutes away down Robert Moses Parkway and will take you right into Parking lot 2 where we got the park literally in front of Caves in the Winds. The trolley is right there also. Pay the two bucks and leave the driving to them.

The observation deck is open till 11 pm on the weekends and a great place to views the fireworks and illuminations of the falls.

We did the Discovery pass at $33 an adult and $26 for kids for Maid in the Mist, Cave in the Winds, The Discovery Center (open only weekends) the Aquirium and the Theater. Well worth the money plus free trolley service for a day.

13. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    DH and I are considering a camping trip for just the two of us to the Niagara Falls area next summer. Going to pretend it's 20 years in the future and we're retired! Anyone been recently and can provide your thoughts?

For sites, I'm looking for an electric site, with lake views, and a short walk to a shower house. Recommendations?

Do the sites along the north outside edge of the 200 loop (even numbers 222-240 ish) have a good lake view? Looks like they are right on the lake, but do the trees block the view? Also, how far of a walk to the shower house?

Or it looks like another possible area is sites 79-93, which are along the straight road. They are on the lake side, but are farther from the water. How's the view?

Thanks!

14. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    if you want close to the shower - sites 79-93 may be your best bet, but they are not as secluded as the loop 200 sites. (Shower house is right next to site 93). There are some trees and I am not sure which site would give you the best view. The sites are grassy, no gravel pads. We were there last year, we had site 65. We were not lake front, but we could walk to the shore and we were right next to the other bath house in that loop. There seemed to be a nightly gathering along the shore where everyone brings blankets or chairs to sit and watch the sun set. I put in a review for that campground in the review section of the portal. It is a nice campground.
    maybe somebody else will chime in as to site gives the best lake view.

15. dlaudens

dlaudens Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    Stayed there last July at site #238 which backed up to Lake Ontario. Can't see the lake from the camper, but you just had to walk to the back of the site. Beautiful sunsets over the lake.

Our site was very big for a state park and the bathrooms/showers were nice as well. Very convenient to the falls.

Attached Files:

16. CamperChrissy

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Thanks for the feedback. I just booked us site 87! I'm hoping we'll get lucky and not be boxed in by some big ol' class A's. We have not bathroom in our PUP, so pretty important to me to be near the flush toilets. The sites are big, so hoping we can park the PUP far back. If you check out Google Earth, you can see someone had a PUP along that row and pushed it way back and even turned it perpendicular. Can't wait!!!

17. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Jul 22, 2014
    You can see a picture of your site HERE

Select Browse All, State, NY and then the Park.

Just discovered that it is less than an hour from me so I have it on the list to visit. Wish it had more restrooms. Site 87 looks nice and deep.

18. CamperChrissy

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Yes, thanks for the link. I discovered that website a few days ago and used it to pick out a good site (I hope).

If you go, just FYI I noticed when booking that the sites near the lake fill up quickly, like starting as soon as the booking window opens at 9 months out. There were already several sites booked in the row I booked and the other waterfront row!

19. daveo1289

daveo1289 Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Rochester NY
    Site 87 is one of the larger sites in that area. A couple of years back, we had 89. Couple of things you should know. Your not exactly on the lake. About 120 yards. But it's open behind the camp sites. You can walk down to the lake on the west end of the tree line. Even though one is not supposed to do so, you can go into the lake and refresh if it's hot. We've done that. The rest rooms and showers are not far from your site at all. They are kept clean but very busy. Also the traffic on the road along your site can get busy. If it doesn't rain for a while, it can kick up a bit of dust. Other than that, I'm sure you'll enjoy the time there. We camp there a couple of times a year and have stayed on both ends of the campground. With that said, we're hoping to go back to the area your going to be in, next August. Have fun!!